Chapter Five

In the days that followed my visit to the silver-tongued prince of Asgard, gifts began to arrive by the dozen to my home. More often than not, my sisters usually beat me to them despite the fact that they were addressed to my name. The gifts so graciously sent by Prince Loki, gifts including silky green dresses, gold and diamond-encrusted hair picks, and even specialty potions brewed by the palace's own infirmary.

I sat in the common room, unpacking yet another shipment of gifts from the prince with my sisters gathered around anxiously waiting to see what I would receive next.

"Perhaps this time, he'll have packed something for us," Aldun said, grinning from ear to ear.

"Doubt that," Fawn said pushing her aside in order to get a better view.

"He only cares about Sigyn, his little nurse," Fallon teased, tickling Aldun before placing her on her lap.

"Aren't you set to visit him again today, Sigyn?" Alva asked peering over my shoulder as I unboxed a gorgeous linen dress. Pulling it out, I saw it in its full length. It was absolutely stunning, dyed a sage green with accents of subtle gold trim.

"Yes, I am, in the afternoon this time," I told her, examining the dress in front of me.

Quickly, the dress was pulled out of my hands by Eerika who held the dress up to herself and spun around.

"You must wear one of these dresses, Sigyn," she said, continuing to spin around us as if to model the dress, "It's obvious the prince wishes to see you in them."

I scoffed, shaking my head. The dressed, my sisters, the gifts, the prince, it was all too much. I couldn't believe any of it. Since my first visit to Loki, I had received over a dozen new dresses. All of which were made of the finest silks, linens, and velvets. Additionally, I had received letters from him. They were mostly comical as he told me of the new oafs who he was lucky enough to share a wall within the dungeon. I had no idea what to make of the matter. I believed it was just a game he was playing, trying to get me to fawn over him like all women do before hurting me. After all, he was not in the dungeon for petty theft but true unspeakably carnal crimes. Prince or criminal, I was unsure as to whether he should be trusted with any ounce of my affection.

On the contrary, my sisters believed I should have written back expressing my interest in what he had to say. Better yet, they believed I should have visited him every day to show how truly dedicated I was to him. They failed to remember that he was not simply in the palace but the palace dungeon but they didn't mind. At the end of the day, Loki was a prince and they believed that was all that mattered.

As I prepared for my trip to the palace, I looked over the dresses I had received.

"You really should wear one, you know," Hertha said as she sat on my bed.

"And which one would you recommend, dear sister," I said, looking over my shoulder to meet her gaze.

She smiled as she came to my side to look into my trunk which now overflowed with dresses. 

Digging her hands in, she pulled out a dark green dress that had a bodice of dark brown Asgardian leather that was engraved with delicate vines brushed with gold. 

"This one," she said, holding it out as she examined it,  "sturdy but not overbearing, beautiful but not delicate. Much like you, I suppose."

I laughed, "whatever you say."

I changed quickly and prepared my new medical kit, now full of the most expensive healing materials. I wasn't sure if I was called to the palace for healing purposes or just simply for company but I found it necessary to bring it nevertheless. At the very least, it would be to show how appreciative I truly was of the gifts.

After goodbyes and a kiss on my Father's cheek, I was off to the palace once again. This time, a royal guard accompanied me on my ride to assure I got there safe and sound. Once I arrived, I was greeted warmly by Frigga, the Queen of Asgard herself.

I fell to a deep curtsy in front of my queen, bowing my head before her. She walked over and gently raised me from my bow. She smiled fondly at me and seemed to look me over.

"I see my son's gifts have been delivered to you," she said as she took my arm in hers and began to walk.

"Yes, your highness," I said, "It has all been very lovely."

My palsm were sweaty as I walked with her arm in arm. This was of course, the Queen of all of Asgard, mother of Gods. I couldn't help but feel nervous around such a powerful woman.

"He was hoping you would wear one of the dresses today," she said, smiling down at me, "He'll be happy to see you did so. It looks lovely on you, Sigyn."

I blushed. My sister had been right. This also meant he had been talking about me. I wondered if this was a good thing. 

Alongside Frigga, I walked to the depths of the palace before she eventually left my side at the dungeon entrance.

The guards let me into the dungeon, raisng its gates for me as I walked through. As I came into the view of his cell, Loki began to chuckle as he leaned up against the wall.

"I was wondering when you'd arrive," he said, smiling at me. His smile truly seemed genuine, not the same mischeivious smile I had grown somewhat accustomed to. 

"Don't you look dashing, my dear," he said as he walked over to meet me at the door of his cell.

As I walked in, the guards made sure to quickly close and lock the door behind me. 

"Thank you," I said politely, smirking at him, "your mother told me you had hoped I would wear one of the dresses you so graciously sent me."

He blushed, obviously somewhat embarrassed by his mother's statement. 

I laughed, how cute. A God embarassed by his mother.