Chapter Sixty-Six

In the days that followed, I scarcely left Sigyn's side. I spent every waking hour with her and Hela, doing everything in my power to make them smile, laugh, and feel comfortable whilst on that god forsaken ship.

Being with them made my heart ache. I didn't realize how much I had missed them until I was with them once more. I craved seeing Hela giggle, see her smiling and just light up with joy. Her green eyes would nearly light up as laughter escaped her. And oh how that little girl loved to talk. She would always find Sigyn and I at night to recount every single detail about her day. She would make me stay and listen until she felt that I was properly informed. I loved to see her so lively despite the situation at hand.

But more than anything, I longed to see Sigyn healthy. She was far from stable but was pushing herself to get better, constantly trying to be better than the day before even when she clearly wasn't. I did my best to keep her in bed but she was more than stir crazy at this point. Sigyn desperately wanted to go and be with the people, to help in any way she could. It was immensely difficult for her to just stay in bed and heal.

Upon putting Hela to sleep one night, I came back to our chambers to find her very poorly attempting to walk. Her legs were shaky and her arms were outstretched as she tried to balance.

"Sigyn, dear," I said, quickly coming to steady her before she batted me away.

"Stop, stop," she said, shooing me off of her, "I can do it by myself."

I put my hands up, stepping back as she rebalanced herself. Her face was twisted into an expression of immense determination as she focused on taking another step forward.

"I feel like an idiot," she mumbled, clutching the back of a chair near by, "I'm an adult, walking should be easy."

"Love, don't be so hard on yourself," I said, "You're actually doing surprisingly well, all things considered."

Sigyn had become quite the independent over the time on this ship. As much as I doted on her, she still chose to do as much as she could by herself. She had exaplained to me that she hated feeling like a burden and that over the last few days, she's just felt like a waste. I tried to console her, but she was dying of boredom and sick of everyone fussing over her. Honestly, this was difficult for me to understand. With all the attention and special treatment she was getting, if I were in her position I would soak up every minute of it. Sigyn, however, wanted to escape it all.

Sigyn attempted to take another step forward before clutching her side, clenching her teeth in pain as she sat back down. Angrily, she tore off her bandages and revealed her abdomen. It was bruised severely and scabbed and stitched raggedly. Being that medical supplies were scarce, her surgery wasn't necessarily of the finest quality. At least that's what Sigyn had told me.

"Hand me that thread," she demanded, gesturing to a spindle that stood lonely on a wardrobe, "And that needle."

"Why?" I asked cautiously, slowly picking up the supplies.

"Don't worry about it," she said promptly, pulling a pair of scissors out from the desk she sat at.

"I'm not handing you this until you tell me what you're doing," I bargained, instantly receiving a sharp glare from her.

"What do you think I'm doing, Loki?" she asked in exasperation.

"I think you're going to try and restitch that mess on your stomach," I said, confusing with, "Which would be absolutely crazy of you to do."

"It's a complete mess, I have to fix it," she argued, "I can do it, I just need that thread and needle, please."

I shook my head, "No. I can't let you do this, you may hurt yourself."

She groaned, "Oh so now you're concerned about my well-being?"

I shut up quickly, obviously now out of line. Nevertheless, I couldn't let Sigyn go through with this. She was making such good progress and I was afraid this may just set her back. Additionally, I couldn't bear to see her in pain once more.

"Loki please, I'll do anything if you would just let me try," she begged.

I shook my head, putting away both the thread and the needle.

"I'm sorry dear, I can't," I said, walking towards her.

She put her head back, squeezing her eyes shut as she pursed her lips. I knew for a fact she was frustrated but not with the shotty work of the medic but with the fact that she was hurt in the first place.

"Please," Sigyn begged, "I'll do anything...I just want to get better."

I rubbed her shoulders gently, looking down at her. Sigyn's face was flushed as hot tears began to rolls down her cheeks.

"Oh my dear," I said, delicately wiping the tears from her cheeks as I carefully took her up into my arms.

"I feel so useless," she cried, clutching my blouse with tight fists.

"Sigyn, taking a few days off to make sure you heal does not make you useless," I assured her, sitting on the bed with her on my lap.

"I can't do anything," she argued, "I can't help our people, I can't play with our daughter, I can't even get up to bathe on my own. I'm dead weight."

"Don't say that," I begged, tilting her head up to look at me, "You are far from dead weight. Dear, it's alright. I'm more than happy to take care of you."

She laughed lightly through her tears, "You're so hypocritical. Happy to take care of me? Sure, you'd be on Sakaar right now if you had the choice."

"No, Sigyn, I wouldn't," I said, my voice somewhat firm, "I want to take care of you, I want to be by your side. Please, trust me when I say this."

She shook her head, just hiding her face from me once again. I gently rubbed her back, just trying to soothe her in anyway I could.

"I love you, Sigyn," I said quietly, my voice nearly a whisper as I continued, "I love your spirit, the way you fight so hard to be strong and yet so kind to everyone you meet. I envy the way you are able to show each and every person compassion. Your stubborness is so marvelous, Sigyn. You hold firm to what you believe and yet are able to bite your tongue. I wish I had an ounce of your restraint. I love the way your nose scrunches when you think, the way you furrow your brows as you concentrate. And don't even get me started on those big brown eyes of yours, dear. I love you, Sigyn. I will continue to love you until the end of time. Nothing you could ever do could stop that."

I expected nothing in return. Half of me thought she may have fallen asleep as I talked. But, to my surprise, the faintest voice replied, "I love you too."