Chapter Eighty

L̷̢̮̍̀Ò̵͙K̷̖͐I̴̘͑'̵̙̩̍Ş̸̔ ̸̭̮̄P̶̬͓̉Ó̴͕Ḭ̶͇̿͝N̴̢̠̂T̵͙͙͌ ̷̭̉Ọ̵̓F̴̼̻̈͑ ̶͓̐̍V̴̬̯̑I̴̮̰͠E̶̟̔̕W̶͋̑͜

"Could that be you?" Hunter B-15 asked as we stood in front of a small man who was supposedly shopping for azaleas in the midst of an apocalyptic level storm.

"I mean, I probably would have worn a suit, but yes, maybe," I affirmed in a whisper, looking over the measly man before us. I was convinced no form of myself would be so... normal. 

B-15 slowly approached him, pruning device at the ready. But just as she became in arms reach of the man, he grabbed her by the wrist as green tendrils of magic crawled up her arm. I had seen that magic before, in the videos Mobius had shown me. Sigyn, I knew, was capable of a similar form of magic as she was practically able to control the will of another individual. I had seen her use it in the tapes to put people to sleep but certainly not possess them. Instantly, I realized B-15 had been enchanted.

The man dropped to a heap as the magic overtook B-15. I looked down at him, a pathetic lump of human on the cold linoleum floor.

"Is he dead?" I asked, gently nudging him with my foot.

"No," B-15 explained, her voice audibly different under her enchantment, "They usually survive."

I watched her wearily. No matter who this Loki variant was, I still had one main priority. Somehow, I needed to get back to Sigyn. No longer did it matter what time or what place, all I cared about was my return to her side. I wasn't going to let anyone stand in the way of that, not even myself.

B-15 turned to me, chuckling lightly as her possessor said, "So you're the fool the TVA brought in to hunt me down."

I looked over B-15.

"I presume I'm talking to myself here, aren't I?" I asked.

She scoffed, "Please. If anyone's anyone, you're me." She tilted her head and smiled. She looked insane, so of course, I mocked her gesture.

"How nice to meet you," I said as she began to walk away. 

"Enchantment is a clever trick," I chided, following after her, "But it's cowardly and you're really not all that good at it. I've seen better."

She glared at me over her shoulder, "Enchantment is almost as cowardly as working for the TVA. Besides, how could you possibly have seen better enchantment than this?"

"Funny you should mention that," I said, "I'm not working for the TVA, I'm working for me. You see, I'm trying to get back to the woman who is far more talented at enchantment than this."

"Self-employed?" she scoffed, "You really believe you have a chance, don't you?"

"And here I thought they had found a better version of me," she chuckled as we came across another mortal man. He was an employee of the store we were in and couldn't be any older than twenty-five. She outreached her hand to him, taking him by the shoulder as the spindles of enchantment jumped from B-15 to the employee.

Swiftly, B-15 fell to the floor just like the first man. I crouched down beside her, checking her pulse to make sure she was alright. Once I had determined she was still plenty alive, I reached for her radio device.

"Oh bless," the employee mocked me condescendingly, "Are you gonna call your little friends for help?"

I glared at the employee, slowly rising back to my feet as he walked away.

"What's the matter?" I chided, cautiously following him amongst the isles of food, "Too scared to meet me face to face? You know, it was no mean feat to gain their trust."