Chapter Fifty-Five

SIGYN'S POINT OF VIEW
"I feel silly, this isn't working."

Hela and Heimdall both laughed. I had been trying relentlessly to cast an illusion but the most I could manage was a sad spark from my fingertips.

"You're not doing it right, momma," Hela said with a giggle, coming and positioning my hands correctly.

"And you're thinking far too hard," Heimdall stated.

I sighed and tried again. All I was attempting was a simply illusion, not even a full body aparation but a simple faux flower. But once again, nothing appeared.

"I think you were wrong, Heimdall," I said, shaking out my hands, "I'm not a witch, and even if I was, I'm not a powerful witch."

"Maybe you're right momma," Hela said, putting her hands on her hips, "You're kind of awful at magic."

I pursed my lips and looked at Heimdall who was clearly struggling to not laugh. We had been in the bunker for a week now and every single day, Heimdall devoted at least an hour to my practice. I told him it wasn't necessary but he (as well as Hela) had insisted.

"I don't think it's that," he said, "I just think we're wasting our time teaching you illusions."

I raised a brow, "But that's what Hela started with when she began to learn sorcery."

Hela nodded in agreement. Heimdall chuckled and came to his feet, walking over to us both.

"Yes, but you and Hela are very different," he explained, "Just like fighting magic doesn't come naturally to you, illusions aren't necessarily your cup of tea either."

"Is it that? Or just that you can't teach and old dog new tricks?" I asked, causing Hela to erupt into giggles, "I'm sorry Heimdall, but I'm just tired. We can try again tomorrow."

My body was aching. Each joint felt like it was seconds from letting loose. Some of the bruises on my body had turned a deep purple and were traced with green. After enduring Hela and walking 50 miles to sanctuary, I wasn't necessarily in mint condition. I certainly wasn't in the right mindset to begin learning either, I was too focused on survival.

Since coming to this refugee encampment, I was swiftly put into the position of their leader. They all knew me as Loki's wife and were more than willing to follow my command. I didn't demand control or this power in the slightest, but somehow it had been bestowed upon me. I worked tirelessly to help families and heal the wounded, teaching young girls as well how to properly nurse. I was quite busy and Heimdall always seemed to want to have our lessons at the worst times.

"Please," he asked softly, "Let me try just one more thing."

"Please, momma," Hela begged, smiling as she tugged on my hand.

I thought for a moment but decided sleep could wait. Besides, a new family wouldn't be in for at least another two hours.

"Fine," I agreed. Heimdall smiled, coming to me and positioning my hands with my palms towards the sky.

"I don't think illusions are necessarily your forte," he explained, "But perhaps enchantment is."

"What's enchantment?" Hela asked, sitting down on the floor and looking up at us, "Papa's never taught me that."

"That's because your father doesn't know about it," Heimdall said, placing his hands on top of my own, "Alright, concentrate now. I want you to try and make me just sit down."

"That's all? Can't I just ask you to do that?" I asked.

"Don't ask me, tell me to, using magic," he commanded, holding my hands to his with his thumb.

"How do I even begin?"

"Concentrate on what you want me to do, focus all of your energy on pulling me to sit down," he explained, "Come on now, you can do this. You've been doing it all your life subconsciously, Sigyn, this time just manifest it at your will."

I nodded and took a deep breath, closing my eyes I concentrated as deeply as possible. Heimdall, sit, I repeated in my head as I tried to imagine his body becoming an extension of mine. I concentrated deeply on a picture of him sitting down in the chair nearby with his arms rested and his back flat against the seat. As I did this, it was almost as if I could concentrate my energy flowing into his own and out from my fingertips. All at once, the presence of Heimdall's hands left my own and with my eyes still squeezed shut I heard one, two, three, footsteps before he sat down with one large thud.

Hela squealed in delight, jumping up from the ground and running to me. As my eyes opened, I was shocked to see Heimdall sitting in the chair just as I had imagined. His arms were upon the rests and he was sitting with his back pressed straight against the seat. Exactly as I had pictured. His shook his head, seemingly coming out of a daze before smiling at me.

"That was easy enough wasn't it?"

I laughed lightly, "You don't fool me, Heimdall, you could have easily done that on your own. There's no way I did that."

He laughed as he stood up, "Fine, don't believe me."

Hela tugged at my arm, "Do it to me, do it to me!"

I shook my head, "No, no, I don't want to hurt you dear."

I looked at my hands, a shiver ran down my spine as I realized what this power entailed. I was almost disgusted by it. The sheer possibility of taking away free will by the flick of my hand was a terrifying concept I wasn't willing to bear. I knew what it felt like to be unable to say no, to be helplessly under another person's control. Hela had made me feel that way when she had her way with me. The way she left me possible like a doll, subject to her will. I nearly gagged as I realized what enchantment entailed. I couldn't fathom this power, I didn't want to cause people the same pain I had experienced. Could it even be used for good?

I shoved my hands into my pockets, and smiled at Heimdall, "I believe that's enough for today. Come, Hela, I heard there's a little girl with the family that's arriving today."

I turned to Heimdall and curtly said, "Thank you for the lesson, today."

He nodded and crossed his arms as he said, "You know, Sigyn, with proper intentions enchantment doesn't have to be painful. Not like it was for you under Hela'a powers."

I gritted my teeth but struggled a smile, "Hela, why don't you run along to meet that family?"

She nodded before running off towards the main hall of the sanctuary.

"Never talk about what happened to me in front of my daughter," I said coldly, "I don't care about this, any of this-this-this magic. I don't want to hurt people and I certainly don't want to control them."

"Sigyn," he said curtly, "When Hela enchanted you, she made it painful. She used it for the wrong purpose. Under you control, others wouldn't feel that same pain. You're pure of heart, Sigyn. If anything, they'll feel finally at peace under your guidance."

"Guidance?" I questioned, "That's what your calling it? It's brutal manipulation. No matter how pure of heart you think I am or how soothing it is to be enchanted by me, I'm unsure as to whether any being would consent to me taking over their nervous system."

He rolled his eyes, obviously furtsrated with my defiance.

"Sigyn," he said firmly, staring me straight in the eye, "You've unlocked a power within yourself that finally gives you the chance to depend on yourself, not others. Don't you understand? I know you've been hurt in the past by those who seek to take away your freedom, but don't let that stop you here in helping the thousands of Asgardians who are looking to you for guidance."

He sighed and continued, "We can't win this fight with pacifism alone. You will have to fight. Blood will be shed. It's your choice as to whether it's your own or the enemy's."

I clenched my jaw and balled my fists.

"I will do what I feel is right," I stated firmly as I began to walk away, "Goodbye, Heimdall."

"Same time tomorrow?" he called after me.

I grumbled lightly before begrudgingly replying, "As you wish."