Chapter Forty-Five

This new Hela was a menace, in the week since her arrival I had been strangled nearly five times and slapped another handful. I took my beatings with no complaint, as long as it wasn't my daughter being hurt I could take it. My body was an aching heap as I was forced to kneel at Hela's side for hours upon hours daily.

I had garnered the impression that I was a toy for Hela. She treated me like her doll, to be played with and dressed up however she liked. She had quickly decided to dress me in nothing but black gowns that seemed to always include cutouts at my sides or a deep neckline. I had no doubt in my mind that she didn't want to be just friends. I had an aching suspicion that I would soon be expected to serve her in ways other than kneeling. Hela was always grabbing me in one way or another, either to hurt me or getting me to do as she pleased. I felt like a human ragdoll by the way I was tossed around by her. Nevertheless, I held my own. I had to stay strong and unwavering for my daughter's sake as well Asgard's.

The past week felt like a constant whirlwind of anxiety. I had been sucked up into Hela's tornado and was struggling to find my ground. At the will of her whim, I had been transported back to the way I felt as a child with my mother. I was hopelessly out of control and was trying desperately to hold on. I had to keep my head held high and make it seem as though my abuses were minor. 

My Hela was anything bought fond of her aunt. She did everything to resist her. Thankfully, it seemed as though Hela was true in the fact that she had no intention of hurting my daughter. No matter how she fought, she was left scathe-free. I was extensively grateful for this as well as the fact that Hela never raised a hand against me whilst my daughter was near. When she wasn't being taught magic or expected to learn the blade, my daughter was thankfully kept far away from Asgard's new queen.

Between all this madness, I had no time to try and figure out where my husband was. Hela had assured me she didn't kill him upon her second day in Asgard. I would have thought her a liar but I knew in my heart Loki was alive somewhere. Like so many years ago, I could tell my husband was not dead. The soul bond that connected us to each other had yet to be broken. For this, I kept my hope.

My daughter was off somewhere with nursemaids, washing up for the day and luckily out of Hela's reach. I, however, was not as lucky. I sat kneeled at her side in the throne room, not permitted to move or look up without her command.

"Pet, won't you come here," she called outstretching her hand towards me.

Shakily, I stood from the kneel I had sat in for about four hours. My knees were raw and red but nevertheless, I came to Hela's side. She took my chin firmly in her hand and turned me to look at the citizens who stood before us.

"Tell me, darling," she began, "This man was found conspiring against me. His little band called themselves Sigyn's Soldiers. Do you think such an act of treason is deserving of death?"

I blinked in disbelief, unsure if she was truly leaving the fate of this citizen up to me. My mouth gaped as my heart began to beat unsteadily.

"I-I can't," I stammered as I shook my head, "Please, spare him."

Hela cocked her brow and looked me over before she began to laugh lightly.

"Look at you, so scared," she cooed, "You're far prettier when you smile. If you wish him to be spared, I suppose I can simply send him to the chopping block rather than throw him to the dogs. Is that more humane for you, my dear?"

My eyes widened, I was left speechless. Again, I found myself powerless. No matter what I said I knew this man before me was going to die, it was only my choice to determine how.

He sunk to his knees and grabbed my hand and choked out, "Please, my lady. Let it be quick, I can't bear to let my family watch me tortured. Let my death be noble."

Hela scoffed, "Sigyn, dear, tell me how you wish to watch this man die. I suppose he'd look quite lovely strung up and quartered, or perhaps a simple beheading is more your speed."

The man looked up at me with pleading eyes, grasping my hand so tight it hurt. I so badly wished I could save him from this fate but truly I had no option. He seemed to understand this as well as he offered me a small smile. My heart broke for him. This man who I didn't even know was being put to death for defending Asgard under my name. Even now, he trusted me with his fate.

"Behead him," I said softly, gaining a smile and nod in return from the man.

"How boring," Hela groaned with an eye roll before commanding her guards to take the man. Swiftly, he was hauled out of the throne room with his hand bound and his mouth gag. Before the doors were shut abruptly behind him he glanced over his shoulder to meet my gaze. His eyes were glossed over with fear but he seemed content.

Hela grabbed my waist and pulled me close to her. She kissed up my neck, causing my skin to crawl beneath her touch as my breathing hitched.

"We must work on that, dove," she said with a smirk, "You're awfully vanilla, but I suppose you'll get used to death in time. After all, it's not as if that's the first person you've put to death, now is it?"

I tried pulling away from her, desperately trying to get out from her reach but she only pulled me closer. My eyes widened at the prospect of her knowing the existence of my ledger. Of course, I thought to myself, She's the Goddess of Death, she'd no doubt know about my mother.

"Don't act so surprised," she said with a laugh as she stroked my cheek softly, "Of course I know how you betrayed mommy dearest. How'd you do it again? Poison? How creative."

"I-I'm sorry," I stammered, gulping as she hushed me.

"Don't apologize, Sigyn," Hela said with a growing smirk, "You did the right thing. In fact, I find what you did admirable. How many little girls do you potentially save, hm? At least seven is that right?"

I nodded slowly, "Yes, my sisters," I replied quietly as Hela gripped my hips.

"Oh, how sweet," she cooed, "Sisterly love, powerful enough to lead you to kill."

"I didn't have a choice," I said coldly.

"I know that," Hela affirmed, smiling at me as she, "You have no choice now, either. Isn't that funny? The way life happens in cycles? For a fleeting moment you had all the freedom in the world but now, well darling you aren't permitted to eat unless I tell you, walk unless I command it, and most of all you are never to say no to me. Do you understand?"

I nodded slowly, finding myself with no option but to comply. She grabbed my face and roughly pressed her lips against my own. She bit my lower lip harshly, causing blood to fall down my chin. As Hela pulled back she only smiled at the sight of me.

She laughed lightly, wiping the blood with her thumb before she whispered, "Good girl."