Chapter Thirty Three

SIGYN'S POINT OF VIEW
After Hela was born, the days and months, and years flew by. I could hardly believe how fast everything went. Right before my eyes, my baby had grown into a delightful little girl.

Every single day, that Hela amazed me. She was brighter than I could have ever hoped. I once thought I was quite clever but I had met my match in Hela. She was ambitious on all fronts, had learned to read when she was only three, and had begged her father and me to teach her magic when she was only four. Now as a five-year-old, she devoured books and sought after her own education. Most mornings, she was up before I was, waiting patiently for me to begin teaching her whatever lesson I had planned for the day. Being that she was still too young for a real tutor, I had somewhat become her teacher. She loved the classroom, but she thrived alongside her father.

Loki and Hela were attached at the hip. It was rare that you saw one without the other. Consistently, he brought her to his meetings, genuinely asking for her opinion on political matters, and teaching her all he could about the kingdom. She ate it up, hanging onto his every word and sitting in as if she was a prized advisor. It was quite entertaining to watch as a young king tried to tell royal advisors that the best way to solve a drought was by just making more water.

Though Loki didn't care to admit it, Hela and he were practically twins. Everything he did, she did too. They would roll their eyes at the same thing, laugh at the same jokes, and god their smile. The way they would cock their heads in unison and grin with wild eyes, watching them was like seeing double.

"Hela, darling," I said, "Grab me the clove root, on the bottom shelf there."

She had insisted on helping me in the infirmary, dying to know how mommy used her magic. She handed me the herb just as I had asked and sat on a stool nearby.

"What's it for?" she asked, peering into a bowl where I was mixing a healing potion.

"Clove masks the taste of laudanum," I explained, "When someone gets really hurt, I'll give them this potion, it stops the pain. But, it's a lot easier to drink when it has the clove."

She nodded, "Lau-da-num. Why don't you give me that when I get hurt?"

"It's very dangerous, dear," I said, "If I were to give you too much it would be very bad."

"Have you ever given one of your patients too much of it?"

"Don't concern yourself with that," I said. The real answer was yes, but to be frank it wasn't a patient. But that was a discussion for another time when she was much older.

She groaned and said, "You're even not using any of your magic."

"Hela, I hate to say it, but I'm not like you and your father," I explained with a chuckle, "Magic isn't easy for me like it is for you. I only use it when absolutely necessary."

"Why? Magic is fun," she said, lighting her hand up with little fireworks.

"When you use it properly, it is," I agreed, "But when I use my magic, I have to be very very careful. It's not like papa's or yours."

"Why?"

"Why, why, why," I repeated, tickling her sides, "Always why. Why don't you run along and get dressed for the play this afternoon, put on something nice, alright?"

She nodded and with a quick kiss on the cheek she ran off.

"Odin" had returned to Asgard for a brief visit to his subjects. This meant Loki was working double-time as himself and his father. To make it easier, Loki (or rather an illusion of him) was faking a terribly contagious illness that forbade anyone from seeing him. Things had been politically awry and I had encouraged "Odin" to return for a brief moment just in order to boost morale. In honor of this, a play was being held to delight Odin and honor Loki. The Tragedy of Loki of Asgard, of course, was dramatically embellished to make my husband look larger than life but I didn't expect anything less.

After finishing up my brew and bottling it appropriately, I walked to my chambers to get ready myself. There I found Loki, the real one that is, struggling to tie a complex leather belt around his waist.

"May I help you?" I said with a smirk as I walked up behind him.

He sighed and handed me the ends of the belt, "I could have done it myself you know. It's just that the fastening was a little complicated."

"Oh, definitely," I said sarcastically, kissing the back of his neck as I finished fastening the belt.

"Where's Hela?" he asked, turning around and pulling me close by my waist.

"She's off getting dressed for this afternoon, she got quite bored of the infirmary," I explained as I began to kiss up his jawline.

"How much time do you think that buys us?" Loki asked, flicking his hand as a spindle of green magic locked out door.

"Enough," I said, planting as many kisses as I could on his neck.

"Well, what if-" he started as he began to work at unlacing the back of my corset.

"Won't you just shut up and fuck me?" I said breaking away from his skin for a moment.

Bringing me up into his arms and tossing my corset aside in one quick swoop, he looked at me with ravenous eyes.

"Gladly."