Chapter Forty-Four

SIGYN'S POINT OF VIEW
I'm sure you could imagine my surprise upon being abruptly strangled in the gardens by a terrifying woman who claimed to be my husband's long-lost sister. Who, of course, was named Hela.

She held a tight hand around my neck and looked over me with an evil grin upon my face. I struggled to breathe, grappling at her hand to try and get out of her grip.

"Oh," she cooed, tilting her head, "So you're the sweet little thing my brother decided to marry."

"Please," I choked out, barely able to concentrate on what she was saying. Black was beginning to creep in as my vision went fuzzy just before she let me go. I was hardly afforded a second to breathe before she pressed a knife against my throat.

"Sigyn, is it?" she asked, gently scraping the blade's tip against my jaw, "You are darling. Oh, how absolutely disgusting.  A blonde little princess. My mother adored you didn't she?"

I looked away from her, refusing to meet her eyes as I tried to regain my breath. I thanked my lucky stars Hela was off with her nursemaids and not with me. I didn't want to imagine what this woman would have done to my daughter.

The woman tightly gripped the back of my head, grabbing a fistful of hair as she said, "You and are I going to be good friends, hm?"

"Who are you?" I spat, glaring up at her.

"Hela," she said with a grin, "I heard you named your daughter after me? I'd love to meet her. I'm sure she's darling."

"I won't let you near her," I said, trying to pull away from her grip. Her hand only gripped at my hair harder as she pressed the dagger against my skin.

"Be a lamb and quit with the bravery," Hela said, "I'm not interested in hurting her. In fact, I think she could be instrumental to my plan."

"What plan?" I squeaked, my brows were knit together and my heart seemed to pound out of my chest.

I was completely defenseless and at her whim. One quick stroke and she could have left me dead on the garden floor. Safe to say, I was panicking. There was no way out but to comply, and dammit I didn't want to do that.

"Ragnarok, my sweet," she explained, "You daughter may have the glorious opportunity to rule as queen of Hel in my absence, so long as I get my throne here."

I glared at her, "Asgard will never bow before you."

"Oh yes they will," she said as she began to laugh at me, "And you'll be the first. Kneel."

A burning sensation enveloped my body as she let me go. My arms and legs felt as though they were on fire and my head was splitting with pain. Completely against my will, I found myself bowing before her.

"What a good girl you are, Sigyn," she said, bringing my chin up with the tip of my finger.

Hela looked me over and smiled. She seemed to study me and looked ready to devour me whole.

"You'll be quite a delicious pet."

I could hardly breathe and as completely unable to respond. Her magic continued to hold me in my kneel, I was unable to do a thing without her complete ordinance.

"Now take me to your little Hela," she commanded as waves her hand, causing the pin to quickly disappear.

I began to try and protest before I was swiftly cut off by her saying, "Try and defy me, Sigyn, and I'll feed you to the wolves. But only after I toss your daughter in first. Understand?"

I hastily shut my mouth and pursed my lips. I had to get over myself. I had to just comply. My actions had the capability of hurting more than myself, my daughter's livelihood was now also at stake.

As I lead her through the palace, it was if her eyes were bearing holes into my back. Her heels clicking along the marble floor sent shivers on my back.

I felt like I was a little girl once more, trapped and afraid. I was unable to say no or resist. I felt so helpless and truly scared. I didn't quite know what Hela wanted which is what scared me most of all. We're my daughter and I just disposable parts of her plan? Or were we possibly just toys to play with? I truly didn't know but I didn't hope to find out.

I pushed open the door to her nursery where my Hela was reading quietly to herself. She was sat by her window all cozied up with book in hand.

"Momma," she said happily as she looked up at me, smiling from ear to ear.

Her aunt pushed past me causing my daughter's smile to quickly fade. She shrunk back into her window seat and glanced at me with scared eyes.

"Don't be scared," I mouthed, "I won't let her hurt you."

Hela nodded and tore her glance away from me and towards her aunt.

The woman scoffed, looking over Hela with hands upon her hips.

"You're quite the doll," she said, taking Hela by the chin and turning her face side to side, "Healthy, strong, and clever too I bet. Oh yes, you'll make a fine apprentice."

"Who are you?" Hela asked, tearing her face away from the woman.

"You won't believe me princess but my name's Hela too," she said, sitting besides her.

My daughter shifted away from her, trying to keep as much distance as possible.

"Oh don't be scared, dove," The elder Hela said, taking her hand, "We're going to be good friends you and I. I'll teach you new spells and soon you'll have everything your little heart desires. Does that sound good?"

Hela shook her head and quickly ran to my side, evading her aunt. I picked her up, holding her close.

"It's alright, baby," I cooed gently, keeping a sharp eye on the other Hela.

The woman simply smirked and said, "Children are so fickle, but she'll come along soon enough. Just you wait."

I shielded my daughter from her, holding her as tight as I could. I didn't know what to expect for. this new Hela but everything within myself told me to be afraid.