Chapter Forty-One

SIGYN'S POINT OF VIEW
Being that she knew he was soon to leave, Hela spent the next day glued to Loki's side. She altogether refused to leave him be, she just wanted as much time with him as possible. Not that Loki minded, he happily took her everywhere he went. He put very little attention to Thor's anxieties about finding Odin and instead out full focus on Hela.

"He's obsessed with that little girl," Thor said in a grumble, choosing to come to spend his time in the infirmary with me rather than trying to chase Loki.

"That little girl is his only child, Thor," I said with a laugh, "Of course, he's obsessed with her."

Thor crossed his arms, sitting on my examination table as I tidied my cabinets.

"I just don't understand, it's Loki. He's not tender like that. I don't think I've ever had him even hug me," he explained, "Not that I want to be hugged by him. I just don't understand this new side of him. It must all be a trick,"

"Him loving his daughter is a trick?" I asked, looking at him with a raised eyebrow.

"Well yes,  I suppose it allows him a path to the throne, and thus that must be the only reason he shows her affection," he said seemingly very impressed by his own answer.

"Perhaps that's the case," I said sarcastically, "Then that makes me just...breeding stock? Lovely."

"My lady, I didn't mean to offend you," Thor said quickly, "My brother loves you, he does indeed."

I put away a coke before turning to Thor and saying, "If you can so clearly see that your brother loves me, why is it so hard for you to see that he loves his daughter?"

"I don't know, I suppose he just married you for um, other things," He said as a bit of a blush grew across his cheeks.

"So now, let me get this straight, I'm not only Loki's beloved breeding stock but I'm his concubine as well?" I said, laughing, "I certainly didn't know that marrying him entailed that."

"No! Sigyn, you're twisting my words," he said with a twinge of annoyance in his voice as he rubbed his face.

"Then what do you mean, Thor?" I said, crossing my arms, "Are you too in disbelief that your brother has the capability to love and be happy? If so, that's incredibly stupid."

"Sigyn, you don't know him as I do," Thor explained as he stood up, "You weren't there to see the things he did on Midgard, the men he has killed, the way he betrayed our mother and me, no man with joy or love in his heart has the capability to do that. I used to have hope, I really did. But after what he has done, I can't believe that he's changed as you say."

I sighed and turned away from him. Thor always had to loop back around to Loki's past, he couldn't simply live in the present.

"If your brother is so evil like you claim, what do you suppose I can do about it?" I asked, "He's my husband. You were there when we were wed, we are blood bound. And my daughter? She adores him. I can't just leave him, nor do I want to."

"I can help you," Thor said, "I can conceal you and Hela in Midgard."

"You're ridiculous," I said, sharply turning to face him again, "You think I'd turn my back on Loki? For what? A life of hiding on Midgard? Loki is my husband, I will stand at his side until our death, Thor. I'm not going back on him now or ever. The fact that you would even suggest that I betray his loyalty to me and my family is insulting."

"Right you're the goddess of-"

"Fidelity, you idiot."

"Okay, yes. I see now," he said slowly.

"I'm not breaking my sacred virtue. Especially not when Loki hasn't done a thing wrong," I said, "And yes I am the goddess of fidelity, do you think it's that impossible for me to has a husband who finds fidelity in me? Is that crazy?"

Thor sighed. Looking into his eyes I could see him tracing every way he had insulted me in our brief conversation.

"I'm sorry," he began, "I realize I have been disrespectful, how can I make this up to you my lady?"

"Just try to see the good in your brother," I said, "That's all I ask of you."

Thor pursed his lips and nodded. Fine, he seemed to say. Luckily, this was sufficient enough for me.

"No go run along, find your brother and your niece. I actually have patients to attend to."

My back was turned to him as he slipped off the bed. Before he drew the curtain back he said in a hushed tone, "If you ever need to escape, I'm here for you Sigyn."

"Out," I said sharply before he finally left.

I took a deep breath and rubbed my face. Why was it that at every single turn, there was always someone trying to tear me out of my marriage with Loki? I was happy. Loki was happy. Our daughter was happy. Why was there any reason to dismantle what we had because of what Loki did in the past? It infuriated me. It was all so hypocritical and demeaning. Even as a mother, I felt like I was treated like some sort of innocent little girl who had to be shielded away from the evil prince. The fact was, I wasn't a little girl. I was a woman who was free to make my own choices. I had no understanding of why this was so damn difficult to believe. On the other hand, it was so easy to believe I was sweet and young but impossible for people to see my husband as loving and happy. The dichotomy of it all was a massive headache. I hated it.