Chapter Seventy-Two

Ĺ̵̗̯͝O̸̜̽Ķ̷̆I̴͚̓'̶̦͓̒S̶̯͙͗̿ ̶̨̛̻̈́P̴̦̙͌͝Ö̷̖̫͒I̵̢͛̾Ǹ̶͎͎T̸̛̜ ̶̞͛O̸̺̎̅F̸͓̍͑ ̷̝̀V̵̨̅I̸̢̽E̸͙͝W̸͙̻͝

"Laufeyson. Variant L1130, AKA Loki Laufeyson is charged with sequence violation seven twenty eighty-nine. How do you plead?"

I chuckled lightly, smiling at the wench of a woman who stood before me. She was an idiot of course but I had to give her credit for being so bold in the presence of a God.

"Madam, a god doesn't plead," I informed her, "This had been a very enjoyable pantomime but I'd like to go home now."

She rolled her eyes and continued, "Are you guilty or not guilty, sir?"

I scoffed, "Guilty of being the God of Mischief? Yes! Guilty of finding all this incredibly tedious? Yes, also. Guilty of a crime against the sacred timeline?" I listed, pausing for a moment before shaking my head and continuing, "Absolutely not, you have the wrong person."

There was no lie here. I was an innocent man regarding the ordinance of time and space! I had simply picked up the tesseract which had landed so conveniently at my feet and was transported to a desert in Mongolia. I could hardly say that was a crime. After all, if the time police or whatever they were called were so against me escaping the consequences of New York they should have ensured I never had the Tesseract in the first place. It was my humble opinion that if anyone was guilty of ruining the TVA's sacred plan, they should have no one to blame but themselves.

Obviously, they did not have the same clarity that I had.

"Oh, really?" she challenged, propping herself up on her elbows, "And who should we have?"

I promptly replied, "I suspect the Avengers. You see, I only came into possession of the Tesseract because they traveled through time. No doubt in a last-ditch effort to stave off my ascent to God-King."

She raised a brow, "That's quite  an accusation."

I smiled and assured her, "Oh, believe me, you can smell the cologne of two Tony Starks. You speak of time criminals? It's they you should be after."

As I continued to talk, an older man came and sat in the pews behind me. He was dressed simply in all brown attire. He had a tuft of stark white hair on his head with a well-groomed mustache to match. I could tell he was trying to be sneaky about making his way into the hearing. But, he was, unfortunately, failing miserably at it.

"Perhaps," I began, smiling charmingly at Miss. Renslayer, "you could provide me with a task force and resources, and I could return and eliminate them for you."

"We're not here to talk about the Avengers," she said curtly.

"No?" I questioned.

"No," she countered, "What they did was supposed to happen. You escaping was not."

I laughed lightly and argued, "Right. 'Not supposed to happen'. Well, according to who?"

Ravonna glared and reminded me, "The Time Keepers."

"Oh, the Time Keepers, right, right," I said, "Well, perhaps I should speak to these Time-Keepers, gods to gods."

I winked at her, hoping to sweeten my case but this only seemed to make things worse. Ravonna struggled to form a very fake smile and informed me sourly, "I'm sorry, but they're quite busy."

I raised a brow and questioned, "Oh, they are? What are they doing?"

"Dictating the proper flow of time according to their dictations."