Chapter One Hundred and Six

LOKI'S POINT OF VIEW
"Don't tell me you're friends with the Avengers," I sneered as we watched the Hulk disappear alongside the Valkyrie to pursue Thor. They were in for quite the nasty treat, seeing my brother fat and beat up was going to cause quite the shock. I almost delighted in seeing that green beast's expression of horror upon seeing my beloved brother. However, my delight in Thor's shortcomings was altogether overwhelmed by the fact that Sigyn had been nearly delighted to see Hulk. And he had been just as happy to see her.

"I would hardly say we're friends. When you...died, Hulk or rather Bruce helped me get Hela to safety," she explained, her voice matter of fact and simple. As if her alliance with the Avengers was anything but worrisome.

"Bruce Banner?" I echoed in disbelief, "I entrusted you into his care?"

I could hardly believe it. I was truly destined to become an idiot in my original timeline. I was beginning to believe it was better that I never had to play a hand in such atrocities and was merely plucked out of existence before it all unfolded.

"You didn't necessarily entrust me, rather you were already dead and had no choice," She said, taking a seat upon the railing of the fishery's dock. The sea breeze caught in her short golden locks, lifting them up from her collar bone. I was reminded how beautiful she was in that instant, allowing me to calm down just slightly.

"Wonderful," I sighed.

"Don't be so cynical," She laughed, pulling myself towards her, "He was very helpful, as was that Captain Rogers. They made sure Hela was safe as I went and pursued Thanos alongside them."

I could feel the headache begin to form as she spared me more details. I had not only entrusted my sole daughter and my wife to be helplessly guarded by some of the largest idiots in the universe but Sigyn had miraculously befriended them and fought alongside them as well.

"I'm struggling to see the bright side in all of this," I admitted, holding her waist, "You were fraternizing with the enemy, my dear."

"I was not," she insisted, lacing her arms around my neck, "I was avenging your death. Do you really think I would've let the man who took you from me go?"

"No."

"Exactly, so I did what I had to," Sigyn said with a nod, "Of course it didn't work out all too well. I had to return to protect New Asgard and Thanos did in fact get away with his plan."

I rested my temple against hers, taking a deep breath. I could hardly understand how chaotic Midgard was, perhaps I had been right about this god-forsaken planet needing a ruler. At the rate at which it was heading, it would seem as though they were without direction, without unity, and without heroes to truly save them from reality. And yet here I was, amongst its chaos and intending to raise my daughter along with it. What a joy.

"Don't be too worried about it," Sigyn said, lifting my chin up and placing a delicate kiss upon my jaw, "I'm sure they won't be itching to have me fight with them again any time soon."

"I just can't believe your even acquaintances with them," I said.

"Don't get too caught up in it," she said, sliding off the railing, "I wouldn't call them my friends. They're just nice."

Nice. Sigyn was altogether good, that was now more than evident to me. It would only be fitting for her to like fellow good people. Yet I was left with a conundrum, why in the world did she like me? I was as far from good as hel itself.

"Mother!" Hela called, far away on the other side of the dock. She laid on the dock's wet wood, her head looking over its edge into the dark cold sea beneath us. My heart caught at the sight. Instantly, I thought of all the atrocities that could occur if she we're to just fall in.

I gripped Sigyn's hand, my breath hitching.

"Sigyn, dear god please tell me she can swim, she awfully close to the water, what if she were to-"

Sigyn put a hand on my chest and gently shushed me.

"It's alright," she cooed, "Don't be so anxious. She's grown up right here, she can swim just fine, dear."

"Are you sure?" I questioned, watching Hela over Sigyn's shoulder.

"I'm sure," she affirmed, gently rubbing my shoulders, "Are you alright? You've been awfully skittish. Perhaps we should just go home where you can maybe, just maybe relax?"

I sighed, tearing my eyes from Hela.

"I'm sorry," I said softly, "I don't know what's gotten into me. I'm just worried beyond belief about you and about Hela, every little thing that happens I'm just terrified about it possibly hurting you two."

"I can see that," Sigyn said with a small laugh, "Suppose that's all apart of becoming a husband and a father all within a day."

"You're right," I sighed, trying to ease the tension that had built up inside of me.

"Yes, let's just...go home," I decided, gently taking Sigyn's hand.

"Will you be alright if I allow Hela to stay here?" she asked, taking my feelings into consideration.

"Yes, if you think she'll be alright," I said wearily, deciding to put my trust in Sigyn's judgement.

"She will be," she assured me, placing a small kiss on my cheek, "Everything will be alright, no need to worry."

I nodded, holding onto her words and trying to believe them with all my might. I wanted to believe her, really I did. But something within me sensed impending doom. As I held Sigyn's hand and walked at her side I couldn't help but feel as though this was all a luxury I wouldn't possess for long. Something was coming and though I didn't care to admit it, I knew I would lose her in the process.