Chapter Fifty

HELA ODINSDOTTIR'S POINT OF VIEW
"What is that noise?" 

The palace shook forming great clouds of dust in soot. Yells were echoing from the outside and disturbing my well-deserved peace and quiet. After dealing with that brat Sigyn, I thought it best that I have some me-time whilst Hela was off playing with Fenrir.

"The common folk aren't exactly falling in line," Skurge explained with a scowl, "There's a resistance trying to knock down the front gates."

I raised a brow, how cute. They thought they could overthrow me. You could say a lot of things about Asgardians but you couldn't say they weren't brave. It was almost reassuring to know they still had valor within them and weren't truly reduced to a pathetic race.

I gestured for my troops to deal with it before turning to Skurge. He was a short and stout fellow with ugly racing stripes for tattoos. There was absolutely nothing remarkable about him and he was truly an eyesore even amongst the rubble. At the very least, he was simply devoted to my cause.

"Tell me about yourself, Skurge."

He stood at attention and began, "Well, me dad was a stonemason, me mum was-" 

I rolled my eyes and interjected, "I'll just stop you there. What I meant was what is your ambition?"

His eyes widened before he promptly stated, "I just want a chance to prove myself."

I smiled, sitting back in my throne. Of course. Skurge was just the type to crave adoration, the attention of being a hero. He had it written all over him. After all, if you weren't an attention whore why else would you walk around with two obnoxiously large stripes down your body. 

"Recognition," I said, "When I was young every great King had an executioner. Not just to execute people, but also to execute their vision. But mainly to execute people. Still a great honor."

Skurge looked at me unsurely as he waited for me to continue.

"I was Odin's executioner," I explained, watching as it all clicked for him. I reached out my hand, materializing a gorgeous double-sided ax made from the finest obsidian. I gestured for Skurge to take it, handing it to him as his eyes grew wide. Skurge seemed to light up, delighted by this newfound opportunity. He had finally gotten what he so desperately craved.

"And you will be my executioner," I announced, smirking as I basked in his delight, "Let's begin our conquest."

He nodded as a smile grew on his lips, "Right this way, your highness."

Skurge proudly lead me outside, the mob now gone thanks to my lovely legion. Skeletons. Who would have known they would be so helpful in putting down uprisings? They did a phenomenal job, leaving the palace steps wiped clean of any blood that had spilled. It was a marvel how efficient they could be.  As we walked past them, they immediately began to march behind us in response to my signaling. So obedient too, it was a great change of pace from that stubborn Sigyn girl. 

Before long, we arrived at the observatory with my legion in tow. But, to my dismay, the Bifrost sword was inexplicably missing. 

"Skurge," I beckoned, "where's the sword?"

His face paled as I continued, "That sword is the key to opening the Bi-Frost."

Skurge shrugged, obviously not understanding how dire this situation was. God, he was stupid. He literally had one job and had failed to do it. I took a deep breath and calmly asked, "These people you mentioned, the ones who aren't falling into line? Round them up."

SIGYN'S POINT OF VIEW
My boots ran across shallow water as I swiftly took Hela up and into my arms. Hastily, I pulled her cloak far over her face as I looked over my right shoulder. Hot on our heels, a pair of Hela's sinister Butchers were running after us as if they were a pack of hunting wolves. I thought I would have had more time before they realized my disappearance but I was only afforded a headstart of about two measly minutes. 

I quickly turned right, through an alleyway and into a grove of trees. Frigga's Scared Apple Orchard.  I knew the plantation like the back of my hand and hoped to lose the soldiers in the thicket of branches and fruit. I dodged vines and quickly tucked Hela and me into a far corner of the sanctuary. I put my hand over her mouth and quietly shushed her as I listened for the Butchers who had been following us.

Hela watched with wide eyes, holding onto me with a mighty grip. I held my breath, praying that we wouldn't be discovered. Between the thicket, I watched as the glimmering reflection of armor went by us, leaving us in the clear.

"Thank Odin," I said quietly, finally taking a breath as I held Hela close to me.

I truly didn't know where I was going or who I expected to run to, but I knew I had to escape with my daughter. My decision had been made the last time I suffered one of Hela's blows. I had angered her by my defiance causing her to lash out, cutting my left cheek. I could still feel her blade's sting as I sat regaining my breath.

"Momma," Hela said quietly, resting her head on my shoulder, "Where's papa?"

I couldn't help but laugh lightly. It was a great question and truly, I was asking myself the same thing. It had been four weeks since Hela's inquisition and there was still no sign of Loki. At the beginning of it all, I hate to say I was simply waiting for him to just swoop in and save us. But, with each new slap I took and bruise I bore, I realized he wasn't coming. The days passed and not a word was mentioned about Loki or Thor.

"I don't know, my dear," I admitted softly.

"Where are we going?" she asked.

"Momma's figuring that out," I said quietly, placing her on my hip as I began to slowly walk through the brush, "Hopefully, somewhere safe."

She nodded, seemingly understanding. No matter how fond she had grown of her aunt, luckily her trust fully resided in me. Hela had no clue what I had been put through, but it didn't matter. As long as she was with me, she knew she would be taken care of. Her faith in me was far from fleeting.

I walked slowly through the orchard, maneuvering through the thicket before coming upon a narrow pass. I took a deep breath and pulled Hela and I's hoods far over our faces before I ventured into the open. Evidently, this was quite an awful idea as almost immediately we were spotted by butchers. My eyes widened and I quickly turned around, running straight into a tall man. My heart raced as I looked up at him, speechless and unsure as to whether he was there to hurt us or help us.

"Excuse me," the man said politely, drawing a regal gilded sword and slashing the approaching soldiers in one fell swoop. 

Hela and I both marveled, staring up at the man in total disbelief. I had to step back to see him completely as he stood at well over seven feet tall. He had no regal armor, no helm but was simply dressed and was adorned with a thick beard and wrapped in a thick cloak.

He turned back to us after vanquishing the skeletons and said, "Sorry about that. These bloody things are everywhere. Come on."

Hela and I shared a quick glance before swiftly following after him. Perhaps our hero had come.