Chapter Twenty Three

SIGYN'S POINT OF VIEW
"Wake up," my husband said hastily as he gently shook my shoulder.

I groaned and turned away from him, hoping he would just go away and let me sleep.

"Sigyn, wake up," he repeated, "I have so much to explain and so little time."

"Leave me alone," I mumbled, covering my head with a pillow.

Swiftly, he pulled the pillow away from me, "My love, you must wake up."

Glaring at Loki I finally sat up, "What do you want this early in the morning?"

He smiled wildly, "What I want is your help."

I looked at him with an arched brow, waiting for him to explain what in the world could possibly be this dire.

"I have a plan to bring me back to life," Loki said proudly.

"Oh god," I said, rubbing my face.

"No, no, don't be worried. My plan is genius, just listen," he said, "This morning at the daily briefing I'm going to propose a tour as Odin over the nine realms, I'll say I'm needing time off and will be going on this trip completely alone. As we discuss this, I'll begin to project my illusion where I will burst into the throne room as myself of course, completely beat up just as you said. I'll then explain that I was trapped in Jotunheim and have spent the last 7 months making my way home on foot. My illusion of Odin will then happily welcome me home and propose that I be king consort during his tour. Overjoyed with my return, the council will undoubtedly agree. Now listen close, this is where you come in, you're going to have to act very surprised to see me, over the moon in fact. Then once Odin teleports or I more or less stop putting up his facade, our problem will be solved!"

I stared at him in disbelief. I could hardly believe that I had encouraged this psychoticness. I took a deep breath, pursing my lips tightly. I was at a lost for words. It wasn't as if I could do anything but go along with this madness. 

"I'm still unsure as to where I fit in in all of this," I said, stretching out.

"Oh, I forgot to tell you, you'll be posing as Odin."

"Loki, how do you possibly expect me to be your father."

"Don't worry," he said, "it's easier than you think. Everyone he talks to just agrees and nods, you won't have an issue."

I couldn't even begin to think of the headache this entire scheme would give me later but like a good wife, I agreed.

He made sure I was in the throne room on time and was presented as Odin through one of his illusions. I was lost on what to really do but I knew Loki wanted me to propose a trip across the nine realms, pretty much crown his as king, and then disappear off on my vacation. It seemed far from foolproof but Loki seemed confident and who was I to argue with the God of Mischief?

At exactly nine in the morning, a group of men entered the room all being escorted by royal heralds. Each one bowed before me, addressing me as "your highness" as they introduced themselves.

"Thank you all for coming so early," I said, trying to mask all of my uncomfort.

They all nodded and sounded off, "Of course, your majesty."

"Yes well, I have come to tell you that I am going to take a tour...across the nine realms. All by myself," I said, pounding my staff on the floor for emphasis.

"Yes, my liege."

"Of course, your highness."

"Anything you wish, Allfather."

Was this what being king was like? Just midless drones agreeing with every word you said? I'm not sure if I liked it.

"I wish to leave as soon as this meeting is over but who shall I leave in charge of the kingdom?"

This was Loki's cue. The theatrics of it all was beyond me but just on time, Loki burst into the throne room. I had to do everything to stifle my laughter. This was all very dramatic.

"Father!" He proclaimed, clutching his side as he walked inside.

Just as we had discussed, Loki looked more than ragged. He was wearing a loose black blouse that was no doubt stained by blood. His hair was an absolute mess. Dirt was all over his face. And to top it all off, he was walking with a limp.

Standing up from the throne, I pretended to look amazed to see him.

"Loki?" 

"It is I Father," he said, limping forward.

The three men looked absolutely shocked, quickly they moved to the side to let Loki pass them.

"You were dead, my son," I said, meeting him at the bottom of the steps, "Is this your ghost I see?'

Meeting his eyes, it was immensely difficult to not laugh, I had to cover my mouth and pretedn to be bewildered in order to mask it all.

"No, I am certainly alive, Father," he said, "I was stranded on Jotunheim after being in a deep slumber for nearly a week. When I awoke, I had fully healed from my imapalement. Thank Valhalla. But nevertheless, I was still stranded. I have spent the last seven months finding my way home. It's been more than grueling but I am finally here, Father."

I took him by the shoulders, "My son! Back from the dead and home at last!"

I turned to the men, "This is perfect, Loki shall reside over the throne in my absence."

"Yes, my liege."

"Of course, your highness."

"Anything you wish, Allfather."

I turned back to Loki, "My son, I shall leave on a tour over the nine realms, I shall be gone for um... a very long time. You shall be king regent in the mean time."

He bowed his head in reverence, "Of course, I shall serve you wisely, Father."

I nodded, "Yes! Huzzah! My son has returned and now I shall leave!"

At this point, I was now completely unsure on what to do. I looked at  Loki waiting for any sort of direction.

"Oh right," he said quietly before snapping his fingers.

Before I knew it, I was transported to the outside of the throne room. My appearance was now back to normal and Odin was on his 'trip through the nine realms'. 

That was easy enough, but now came the true test of my acting abilities. Loki expected me to enter the throne room and act completely aghast at his presence. 

As I walked in, I almost immediately burst into laughter. I had to bite my cheek to stop myself.

"Loki," I choked out, "Is it really you?"

Ever the thespian, he there open his arms and said with full drama, "My love! How I have longed to see your face."

The men all gasped, touched by this reunion as they clutched their chests.

Loki ran to me, taking me by the waist and lifting me up before kissing me long and hard. 

Reunion or not, the kiss was definitely impressive. 

Setting me down, he took my hands and smiled wildly before turning to the men and ordering, "Youre prince had returned home, you shall let all of Asgard know of this."

They nodded and shuffled out of the room quickly before doing exactly as told, leaving us alone in the hall.

Turning to me, he began to laugh and said, "My love, you are a terrible actress."