Chapter Forty-Two

THOR'S POINT OF VIEW
Sigyn was becoming as insufferable as my brother. She was too loyal for her own good and too damn stubborn to see Loki as anything but the man she had fallen in love with. But, I tried to see the world the way she did. I was happy to be proven wrong. Maybe, after years upon years of betrayal and malice, my brother had truly made the transition into a loving husband and father. Sigyn believed everyone had the capability of good. I wanted her to be right for her own sake.

The Goddess of Fidelity, that was what Sigyn was. She told me she would never betray this virtue which was fair enough, yet I had a creeping suspicion her unfaltering loyalty would be her downfall. 

After spending time with Sigyn, I could clearly see why my brother was so helplessly infatuated with her and why he was so quick to make her his. There was no doubt Sigyn was a beautiful woman. Her hair was wispy and long, it fell in loose muddy blonde curls at the small of her back. Her face was pointed yet soft, she looked sweet but had a constant look of suspicion. Her dark brown eyes always seemed to pierce your heart and gave the impression that she could read you like a book. Sigyn's complexion was perfectly warm and her lips were always curled into a smirk of sorts. For being a village girl, she was stunning. But, she was as stubborn as stubborn could come. She never faltered on her beliefs and held true to her family like her life depended on it. Sigyn was quite clever as well, she knew how each and every plant in the palace gardens could be used for medicinal purposes. And despite her being so warm and so friendly to everyone she met, I could tell there was a side of her she kept hidden from the outside world. I could only imagine this was a side of her only Loki could see. Perhaps, the parts of herself she left closed off were the parts Loki was most in love with.

When they were together, I could tell how deeply my brother cared for her. Loki was never one to be affectionate or even smile unless he was tricking you in some way. But, when he was with Sigyn, he was always touching her in one way or another and had a constant creeping smile. They were genuinely attached at the hip, holding each other's hands, having their arms around each other, and so on. Honestly, it was sometimes frightening being in their presence. They seemed to be able to have entire conversations by only sharing glances, their eyes would lock and it was as if they could understand what the other was feeling and thinking. The way they would communicate reminded me of the way Tony Stark would talk with that one woman he seemed to be involved with. Her name was pepper, I believe. Similar to them, Sigyn seemed to ground Loki, pulling him back to reality. She was his anchor.

Having only met Sigyn once or twice prior to this visit to Asgard, it was interesting to get to know her. But the one who intrigued me the most was Hela. Hela Lokisdottir. She was five and yet carried herself as if she were going to be fifteen. She was scarily smart and already so proficient at magic and spells. With just a short amount of time with her, she had already shown me ways she could shapeshift and cast illusions. She had also attempted to show me some of the healing magic that her mother had taught her. Healing was most certainly not the magic she was most good at. Being that when she tried to heal a small rabbit, her spell backfired and only made the wound worse. It was clear to see that her sorcery took after her father's. 

She was quite elfish despite being so tall and lanky. She looked so much like Loki did when he was young. My brother and she had the same round eyes, hungry for admiration. Her eyes were a dark green and were outlined by thick eyelashes. Just like my brother, her ears stuck out ever so slightly and their complexions were nearly identical. Luckily, she most certainly picked up on Sigyn's beauty as she was nowhere near as weasely as my brother. She was quite a cute little sprite, in all honesty. Hela was just eerily like my brother. 

Both Hela and Loki were reserved, happy to sit alone reading books all day long. But they were just as happy to trick and challenge every person in the room. It was apparent Hela had no problem following in his footsteps. Her ambition was all-consuming and she was so eager to make Loki proud. I could tell by the way she mirrored his every move, she just wanted to be like him. In just the same way Loki wore his heart on his sleeve, Hela was no doubt as sensitive as he was. With all their similarities, it made me curious to see what she would be like as an adult. She clearly had parents that loved and cared for her. I wondered if because of this, she would grow to have fewer insecurities and more of a trusting nature as opposed to her father. Hela Lokisdottir was no doubt a force to be reckoned with. Coupled with all these attributes of her father's she mirrored her mother in her stubbornness. Like Sigyn, she carried herself with the utmost dignity and refused to back down from her beliefs. However, they were so different in the way they showed their emotions. Sigyn very clearly was warm-hearted but kept her emotions sealed, Hela on the other hand wore her emotions quite clearly. Perhaps this was why I was able to understand Hela so easily and was still struggling to wrap my head around Sigyn.

Before my brother would allow us to depart for Midgard, he insisted on putting Hela to bed which left Sigyn and me alone together once again. We waited for Loki to return at the palace gates. She was quiet and cloaked in green. In the time that we were gone, she was meant to reside as queen consort over Asgard. This prospect seemed to be at the delight of most of Asgard. As she looked out upon the kingdom, at the glittering lights and moonlight-filled streets, she seemed pensive about something.

"Worried about ruling?" I asked, hooking Mjolnir on my belt. 

"Not at all," she replied simply.

"I suppose you've been helping Loki fake being king these last years, being queen must be second nature to you now," I said with a light chuckle.

She smiled and shook her head, "Perhaps, but it's always been simple. Growing up with seven sisters, you learn a thing or two about managing people."

I laughed lightly, "Seems about right."

She nodded before turning to me and asking, "Thor, may I ask you a favor?"

"Of course, anything for you my lady."

"Please ensure my husband returns home safely," she asked softly, "I don't know what you plan to do but all I ask is that you return him to his family at the end of it all."

I nodded, "As you wish."

She gave me a sweet smile before the sound of footsteps began to echo in the hall behind us. As she looked over her shoulder, her smile only grew.

"Miss me already, do you?" Loki's voice echoed.

I turned, seeing my brother walk down the hall with a large grin. His eyes were nearly glowing as he looked at Sigyn. They only lit up more once she began to laugh.

"Oh yes," she said sarcastically, "My heart can hardly take it."

He chuckled and gently cupped her face before kissing her. 

"I'm sure we won't be gone long," he said, taking her hand, "Unless of course, something goes terribly wrong."

She rolled her eyes, "Don't say that."

He smiled and kissed both of her cheeks, "I'll see you soon enough."

Sigyn smiled before they shared a brief exchange of "I love you's". God, they were so in love it was almost gross. I could now see what Sigyn meant with the genuine love Loki had for her.

With one more kiss, they said their goodbyes before Loki and I departed for the Bifrost.

"You two make a cute couple, you know," I said smugly as we walked.

Loki chuckled, "Oh yes, certainly much cuter than you and that Jane woman you brought around. She dumped you didn't she?"

"Don't start, brother."