Chapter Fifty-Six

Days had passed, each one bringing more refugees than the day before. At this point, our sanctuary was now home to over a thousand Asgardain men and women. I did my best to keep organized, ensuring that everyone was safe and taken care of. But, I soon found out that trying to herd a mob of terrified people was about just as hard as herding cats. Keeping everyone in line and stopping fights from breaking out was no easy task.

Despite this all, Heimdall continued to insist on teaching me. Every day around midnight he would find me and pull me away from the chaos to train. Each day, I was visibly getting stronger. What started out as a small enchantment commanding Heimdall to sit had evolved into the ability to stop a crowd with the flick of my hand. People willingly joined in for me to practice, ever curious about my new powers. They actively sought to watch me practice or allow me to use my powers on them individually. 

From all this trialing of my powers, I soon learned that Heimdall was correct about my abilities. Every person I enchanted told me that they had never felt calmer in their life as opposed to when they were under my control. Quickly, it became a trend to use me as a sort of sleeping aid for the shell-shocked refugees amongst ourselves. Not that I minded, I was happy to help people rest. It was far more my style.

Heimdall however, continued to force me into practicing the harder stuff. The things I didn't want to do. He knew our time for evacuation was soom approaching and he felt as though I needed to be capable enough with my powers to help prevent a slaughter. Definitely wasn't nerve-wracking at all. Nevertheless, I persisted. Each refugee looked to me for guidance and hope, I couldn't let them down.

"Sigyn," Heimdall beckoned as I dressed a man's wound.

I looked to the clock, it was barely three. Certainly not time for hour lesson.

"Yes?" I asked as Hela grabbed me a small role of bandages. 

"Might I have a word with you?" he asked softly. 

"One moment please," I said, wrapping the bandage around the refugee's ankle. I held his foot tightly with my hand, compressing the bandage as I muttered a small incantation to aid his heeling. I smiled at him before turning around to meet Heimdall.

"I'm all yours, what can I help you with," I asked as I wiped my hands off on my apron.

He nodded and began walking away, beckoning for me to follow. Quickly, I caught up to him. He was stern, quiet, and his mind seemed to be elsewhere. Something was wrong.

"Hela's army will be here in two hours," he said grimly, stopping in his tracks, "We need to begin our evacuation down the eastern side of the mount."

My eyes widened. He had told me previously that he doubted she would attack until weeks from now. Obviously, there had been a change in plan.

"Heimdall, most of these people are injured or exhausted, I won't be able to completely clear this place before she comes," I said, beginning to pace, "I suppose we can take some on gurneys but even then-"

"It doesn't matter how tired or injured people are," he explained, taking me by my shoulders, "We have to lead them down the mountain, Hela will slaughter us all if not. We can't be here when she arrives."

I nodded. Taking it all in, I looked over my shoulder to the crowd of Asgardians who had made this place their home. So many of them were battered and bruised, certainly unfit to run for their lives. But I understood. Hela was ruthless, she would stop at nothing to get revenge on those who had tried to escape her wrath. Heimdall was right, we had to go.

Quickly, I made my way back to my daughter and held her hands as I said, "Hela, darling, listen to me. I need you to go to every child here and tell them to get ready to leave alright? Momma's going to have a word with adults before we go."

Hela's brows furrowed as she looked at me unsurely. 

"Where are we going?" she asked, squeezing my hands, "Is papa going to be there?"

"I don't know where we're going, love," I admitted sadly, "And I have no clue where your father is. But, I can promise you if we leave, we'll be safe."

She nodded, throwing her arms around me and hugging me tightly before running off. I stood up and took a deep breath before turning to Heimdall. 

"Shall we begin?"

Swiftly, we worked to pack up the entire sanctuary. not one object or keepsake was left behind but neatly packed into sacks. I, alongside the women there, worked quickly to assemble first aid kits and slings for all those who were injured. We rationed out our supplies, including food and water, organizing everything into little satchels for each individual family. I had no time to think but simply acted, staying mindful of the clock all the while. Within the hour, our sanctuary had been entirely cleaned out and before long men, women, and children were all leaving the alcove. 

The air was heavy as all the refugees began to depart. Heading to the Bifrost, many of knew this was the last time we would see Asgard. My heart broke for these families. But, reality truly set in as I watched my own father taking in the sanctuary one last time before leaving with all of my unmarried sisters. Asgard was our home. It wasn't perfect but it was all that many of us had ever known. I coudln't bring myself to say goodbye, not yet.

With one last look around, Hela and I brought up the rear of the evacuation, making sure no child was left behind or injured individual deserted along the trail. Hela kept quiet the entire time. Her eyes were wide as she looked for any danger, growing anxious at any cracked branch or cumpled leaf. She walked at a brisk pace beside me and held my hand with a tight grip. No matter how much I assured her that everything was alright, she refused to let go. It took no detective to tell she was scared. My heart broke for her. I could hardly believe that her childhood had divulged into a desperate flee from her home. We were both leaving behind the only home we ever knew, the only life we had ever lived. The horizon was unclear and daunting as we sought safety. This was not the life I had planned for her. My poor princess turned refugee.