Chapter Eighty-Two

HELA LOKISDOTTIR'S POINT OF VIEW

"Thor was just about to go," My mother stated, a horribly fake smile plastered on her lips.

My mom was rarely ever angry but at this moment, I could tell she was far from mad. In fact, she was seething. Her cheeks were flushed scarlet red and small sparks circled around her palms. I could tell from the way she was positioned away from my uncle, everything was not "just fine" as she had told me.

"I'm not leaving," Thor said, chuckling lightly, "I thought I should stay for dinner. Might be best for us all if I start spending more time here."

My mom pursed her lips, inhaling sharply. I could tell she was more than annoyed with the situation here. But there was one obvious plus side to all of it, Thor no longer smelled as though he just came out of a vat of vinegar. Rather, he smelled like roses. It was a nice change.

Gently, I put my bow on the counter, eyeing the two of them. Thor and my mother seemed to be having an entire conversation with each other without even opening their mouths. What they were talking about was beyond me but at the very least I could tell they were arguing.

"Did you get anything on your hunt, Hela?" Thor asked, mimicking my mother's fake smile.

I nodded, "Yeah, I did," I affirmed softly, sitting down at the counter. Even though my mother's back was turned towards me I could still feel the power of her glare onto Thor. I was just glad I wasn't on the receiving end of it.

"Well, what'd you get?" he asked, his voice light and airy as he refused to look at my mother.

"A duck," I explained softly, holding up my fowl as I tried to figure out why in the world my mother was so angry.

"A duck?" he echoed, "How did you manage to shoot a duck? Isn't that somewhat hard?"

My mother laughed lightly as she said, "She's a better shot than anyone here, Thor. Better than you even."

Thor shot a quick glare at her as he continued, "That reminds me. Why do you use a bow and arrow? Can't you just...I dunno use your magic to bring down a tree upon the poor animal or hurl a rock at it or something?"

I paused, looking at him for a moment. 

"Even if I did use my magic," I said softly, "I wouldn't...do it like that. That's stupid."

My mother nodded, "Very stupid," she echoed, "Gosh Thor, put your head on straight."

I laughed lightly. It was always very entertaining to watch my mom get snippy, especially with Thor. She wasn't all that great at being sassy per se, but when she tried it was funny to see. Her short and quick jabs always left people dumbfounded. Just as it did now, with Thor. 

"Then what would you do?" Thor asked softly, raising his eyebrow.

I looked at my mother, waiting for the okay. She wasn't strict about much but she was about using my powers. Magic was never to be used in the house or at work, it was simply for defense and to help others. She firmly believed in using your own natural strength and abilities before ever turning to simply using magic. And honestly, I agreed it was important to not be dependent on powers alone. Even if it was fun.  She had ingrained in me that I was never to use magic for harm. 

She nodded, giving me the okay to use my powers. I took a deep breath as I set the duck down on the counter.  I looked over my shoulder again, watching as my mom offered me a small smile. Turning back to the animal, I outstretched my hand to it. With a simple bout of concentration, the duck puffed up and completely reanimated. It shot up from its limp heap and began calmly waddling along the counter, quacking softly.

"B-but," Thor stammered, walking over to inspect the fowl, "That was dead, just seconds ago it was dead. How did you do that?"

I shrugged, "I dunno, I just can."

"Show him what else you can do, bunny," my mom said.

Again, I touched the duck-stroking its back feathers with a single finger. As I did this, it went limp inch by inch before falling on the counter. It was completely and totally dead once again.

"I don't have to touch it to...kill it," I explained softly, "I just feel like its nicer...letting its last feeling be that of comfort I guess."

Thor's eyes were wide, he was completely unable to tear his eyes away from the duck. My mother laughed at his bewilderment. I couldn't help but smile at how absolutely dumbfounded Thor was by the duck.

"Did you really not know I can do that?" I asked, giggling lightly as he poked the poor animal, "Everyone knows about it, even Valkyrie."

"No," he said, "I didn't."

My mom smiled, patting him gently on the back. As she looked up at him she was grinning innocently but her eyes told a very different story. Her icy blue eyes were filled with hot anger.  My mother's demeanor was extremely threatening towards Thor. He had clearly done something to make her angry and at her touch, he jolted slightly and his breathing hitched.

He shook off his jitters and attempted to smile as if nothing was wrong. He chuckled lightly and put an arm tightly around my mother's waist. Instantly, her smile fell as she clenched her jaw at his touch. He pulled her close to her side as he said, "Well, what a talented young witch you are, Bunny."

My own grin instantly disappeared as he said that. Bunny. Only my mother was allowed to call me that now, it was not a name allowed to escape Thor's lips. Bunny was what my papa had called me so many years ago, a term of endearment that had sprouted from my very first magic lessons. Hearing my uncle say that name irked me. I scoffed lightly, blinking away my anger, "Please don't call me that."

"Why not," he asked as he held my mother ever closer to him. I could tell that under his touch, my mother's skin was crawling. Her breathing was hitched and her anger was radiating. 

"Why are you here?" I countered, standing up from the counter and slowly walking towards them. My mother was now clearly struggling against his grip but his hand tightly clutches her blouse, not allowing her to leave his side.

"I just wanted to spend time with family," he said innocently, "That's all."

"You should leave, Thor," my mom said, obviously trying to warn him as she tried to pry his hands from her, "Don't you have some duties to attend to?"

"No," he said nonchalantly, "I can stay right here."

I tilted my head, looking at Thor through narrow eyes as a smirk grew on my lips.

"I think it'd be best if you left, uncle."