Chapter Twenty One

We stepped outside, arm in arm as Father in Law and Widowed Daughter in Law. It was the closest we could be together without raising suspicion. Guards immediately flocked to our sides to escort us to the throne room where nearly all of Asgard was to be gathered for the feast.

As we walked, feelings of nervousness bubbled up within me. I hadn't seen that many people in such a long time. I didn't even know if I truly knew what to do with myself under the eyes of that many people. In such a short time I had gone from common village girl to an adored public figure. I didn't feel at all transitioned to my new position. My family would be there as well which I for some reason dreaded. Irrationally, I became anxious about every minute detail but, I suppressed it all. I didn't want anyone to worry or fuss over me. Keeping my head held high, I assured myself that I'd be fine.

Loki entered before me, trumpets blaring upon his entry. Waiting for my cue, I steadied my breathing and cradled my bump. You'll be alright, I assured myself,  You're alright. The doors were pushed open before me as I was lead inside the great hall. Each table erupted into claps as I entered. Was I truly deserving of this much praise? 

I plastered a smile upon my lips, waving as I walked through the hall. As I approached the "Allfather", I was still expected to sink to curtsy before him. Taking a deep breath, I sunk to a curtsy and bowed my head. This only caused the roar of applause to increase. As I stood, I met Loki's eyes. He was grinning widely as he sat on his throne.

"Asgard," he bellowed, "May I present to you, Lady Sigyn Iwaldottir, widow to my favorite son, Loki, and mother to Asgard's first heir."

He rose from the throne, meeting me at the bottom of the stairs and joining us arm in arm yet again.

"Tonight," he continued, "We celebrate her fidelity to Loki, her child, and most importantly to Asgard!"

With a wave of his staff, the crowd cheered out, "Huzzah!"

My face burnt with a blush but I continued to showboat, smiling and acting innocently tender with "Odin".  

Loki continued calling out, "I suppose you all desire to know whether my grandchild shall be a prince or a princess, hmm?"

Yet again, mead drunk citizens called out, yelling out girl or boy as they waited for an answer.

Loki turned to me, "Lady Sigyn if you would please do us the pleasure of telling us all whether your child shall be a son or a daughter?"

I smiled, turning to my audience, "Asgard, I'm blessed to announce that I carry for you, the next princess of Asgard."

Men jumped from their seats, women squealed, mead and food went flying. I couldn't help but laugh at the spectacle. My family specifically went crazy over the news, I'd never seen my Father smile and laugh like that. Each of my sisters was celebrating in their own way. Fawn was crying, always the emotional one. The triplets were jumping up and down. Hertha had kissed someone out of happiness. And Fallon and Eerika were downing as much mead behind my Father's back as he was distracted. 

With a secret flick of his hand, Loki caused every flower in the room to bloom.

Leaning over he whispered, "Honestly, Sigyn, I didn't expect them to be this surprised but I suppose a royal child hasn't been born since at least a millennia ago."

I laughed, "I didn't either. I didn't think it was that important to them," I admitted.

He rolled his eyes, "Must you always be so humble?"

"Forgive me," I said sarcastically, cradling my bump as I received a flutter of kicks, "Hela thinks this is all very entertaining."

"We are not naming her Hela," Loki said with a chuckle, "Is she kicking?"

I nodded, watching as the crowd died down and giant servings of food began to make their way onto the tables.

"Dammit," he said under his breath.

He had yet to have the chance to feel his daughter kick. Every time she would, he would be under his guise as Odin, unable to necessarily feel up his "daughter in law". I joked that this was her messing with him and was the first of many tricks she would play on her father. He did not like the prospect of that, to say the least.

The feast went more than well, we barely had a scrap of food leftover and everyone was drunk on either champagne or mead by the time they left. Towards the end of the night, my hoard of a family practically accosted me.

"What are you going to name her?" Aldun questioned, jumping to my side.

"You should name her after me," Alva said proudly, standing upon the bench. 

"Or after me!" Alfhid exclaimed, stepping in front of Aldun.

I laughed, "I don't think the world needs any more Alduns, Alvas, or Alfhids, thank you very much."

"Sigyn is going to name her daughter whatever she pleases," I wald said, planting a kiss on my head, "Congratulations, my dear."

"Do you have any names in mind?" Fallon asked, sitting on the arm of my chair.

I nodded, "Yes, I do, actually. I was thinking Hela." I could see Loki visually cringe out of the corner of my eye, especially when all of my sisters went "awe" in unison.

"That's so cute," Fawn said, smiling, "Princess Hela Lokisdottir!"

"What do you think she'll be like, or look like?" Eerika asked.

"Well, I imagine she'll be much taller than I am... stronger too and I think she'll look like her father," I explained, "I think she'll be quite a lively child but who really knows. All I care about is her being happy and healthy."

"Are you nervous about the delivery," Hertha asked, leaning sitting to my right.

"Yes," I admitted, "But there's nothing I can really do but hope for the best."

"And when is she due," Iwald asked.

"She's due late October," I said, it was already nearing the end of August.

"So soon," Hertha chided, "How exciting!"

"If you ever need anything, anything at all, Sigyn," my Father said, "Just let us know, alright?"

I nodded, "Thank you, I'm sure I'll be taking you up on that."

With an abundance of hugs and kisses, my family soon departed. I could hear them all talking about my daughter, daydreaming about what she would be like as they left.

Before long, Loki and I were the only ones in the great room. Finally alone.

He melted away his illusion, revealing himself as the man I knew.

"You're really set on this whole Hela thing, aren't you?" he said with a raised brow.

"Well do you have anything better?" I asked with a smirk.

"No."

"Then Hela it is."