Chapter Eleven

LOKI'S POINT OF VIEW
As I kissed her head, I slyly cast an enchantment upon her. As I commanded her body to sleep, she promptly fell upon me. She laid completely limp in my arms with her eyes closed.

I couldn't allow Sigyn to worry any longer about Kurse or my intentions in telling him where Thor would be. It was above her concern and she was far too tender-hearted to go along with it. I sighed as I looked down at her. I knew the second she was to wake up she would be thrown into quite a tantrum. I debated on wiping her memory but decided against it, she was my bride and was eventually to be the mother of my children, I couldn't make her too angry.

Throughout the entirety of the raid, Sigyn was fast asleep. I did my best to listen to any sign of danger or development to the attack as she slept soundly. I paced for hours, waiting for it all to end. I wondered who would be the victor in the battle. To my dismay, it would turn out to be an Asgardian win.

Guards swiftly filled the dungeon once more, locking up dark elves left and right. I was beyond thrilled with the arrival of my new neighbors. 

Oh, how fun it was to see chaos once again. I stood at my window watching it all unfold, a grin upon my lips. I longed to know whether Kurse had killed my brother, or better yet my Father.

 A guard approached my cell, his face was far more somber than it should have been.

"Well, what is it?" I said sharply, "Spit it out."

"Queen Frigga, she died in the siege."

My vision began to blur and my heart jumped to my throat. I couldn't speak. I turned away from the guard as anger boiled in my chest. This was not what I intended. 

I thought back to what I had last said to her. After discussing my plan to marry Sigyn, we fell into a heated argument.

"You know full well it was your actions that brought you here," she had told me.

"My actions," I scoffed, " I was merely giving truth to the lie that I had been fed my entire life, that I was born to be a king."

"A king? " she had questioned, "A true king admits his faults. What of the lives you took on Earth?"

"A mere handful compared to the number that Odin has taken himself."

"Your father..."

"He's not my father!"

"Then am I not your mother?"

"You're not."

"Always so perceptive about everyone but yourself."

Recalling my last words to her, my emotions boiled over as I threw furniture across the room. How could I have been so foolish?

"Guard!" I called, "Bring Sigyn home, make sure she's safe."

With a prompt nod, the guard entered before swiftly picking her up and leaving. I made sure she was far gone before casting an illusion over my cell and beginning to grieve.

What had I done?

Days passed by, I had no reference for how long it had truly been. Sigyn had eventually attempted to visit but I sent her away as soon as I saw her at the dungeon gates. I couldn't allow her to see me like this, not now. 

"Take her away," I had ordered.

She was promptly taken ahold of by a poor guard who received a mighty blow to the face. Two more came before she was finally taken away, I could hear her yelling and throwing a tantrum the entire way out. She could be awfully hot-headed at times.

I had no sense of time without her, I was drowning in my grief. How cruel I had been to the only two people I loved, how could I possibly forgive myself? My poor mother, dead, no doubt by my doing. And my bride, angry at me for it no doubt.

In the midst of my mourning, Thor came to the dungeons.

The illusion I had made of myself approached him at the window.

"Thor," I said smugly, "After all this time and now you come to visit me."

Leaning forward, I hissed, "Why? Come to gloat? To mock?"

He had been a free man at the time of our mother's death. He could've saved her. But he didn't. No doubt he chose to save the Midgardian whore he had brought here. How jealous, how furious I was at Thor could hardly be described. 

He stared at me with a numb expression, he had no care for how I felt. 

"Enough," he demanded, "No more illusions."

I rolled my eyes, sighing as I dissolved the illusion thus revealing my true self. I sat in the furthest corner of my cell, unable to walk due to a harsh cut on my foot. My cell was more than a mess and blood stained most of the floor. Glass laid strewn across the place and letters from Sigyn were scattered upon the floor.

"Now you see me, brother," I spat as he walked to the side of my cell, "Did she suffer?"

"I did not come here to share our grief," he explained, "instead, I offer you the chance of a far richer sacrament."

I titled my head, "Go on."

"I know you seek vengeance as much as I do," Thor said, "You help me escape Asgard and I will grant it to you, vengeance. And after, you will be a free man. Free to marry, Sigyn."

My ears pricked at her name. I could hardly believe he was being truthful but I was willing to take the chance. I needed to redeem myself for my mother's death and I needed to uphold my promise to Sigyn, this seemed like the path to do so. I thought for a moment before I began to laugh at my brother.

"You must be truly desperate to come to me for help. What makes you think you can trust me?"

"I don't, but Mother did, as does Sigyn," he said plainly, "You should know brother when we fought in the past, I did so with a glimmer of hope that my brother was still in there somewhere. Sigyn may still have that hope, and for your sake, I hope she does. But that hope no longer exists in me to protect you. Betray me and I will  kill you."

I smiled, "When do we start?"