Chapter Fifty-Seven

After a long day of traveling, we finally made it onto the rainbow bridge. I held hela in my arms as she rested her head on my shoulder. Her little legs had carried her as far as they could. Hela had been so so brave through it all, I was more than happy to hold her in my arms and assure her that I would keep her safe. It seemed that as we walked along the bridge, we were finally in the clear.

At the end of the bridge, we'd finally be free. I almost smiled before suddenly, the ground beneath us began to rumble. A large growl sounded from inside the golden dome at the end of the path. I held onto Hela tighter. Slowly, the giant black wolf, Fenrir came out from the building with a mighty bark.

From the front of the crowd, Heimdall'a voice boomed, "Go back!"

Like a herd of spooked cattle, the name of refugees immediately turned around and began to stanpede the opposite way. I held onto Hela tightly, bracing the crowd. Overhead, a warship began to fire round after round at the giant wolf. Hela held her hands tightly over her ears and buried her face into my cloak. Turning, I began to retreat but overtop of the hundreds of head I spotted a legion of Butchers lead by Skurge charging us. My face paled as I realized we were trapped.

I looked to Heimdall, hoping for any kind of divine guidance but his countenance looked just as fearful. Streams of bullets rained down about Fenrir but no real damage was made. The steady pelts only seemed to anger the wolf further. With a loud growl, the beast began to charge. Valiantly, Heimdall raised his sword and pushed though the lot of refugees, standing before us all in an attempt to shield us from the wolf's ambush.

Just as it all seemed hopeless, I kissed Hela's head and held her tighter than I ever had before. Odin, I prayed, Protect us now. Cries and screams rang out from the crowd as our doom approached. Hela clung to me and cried fearfully into in my shoulder.

Looking up at the warcraft that soared up above us all, a small man jumped out from its side. Crashing faster towards the bridge, I expected something from the man but rather he face planted straight onto the bridge right before Fenrir. We're really doomed, I thought to myself. I marveled at the fact that Asgard's lone hero had managed to break every bone in his body in a single instant. Was this truly the savior Odin had bestowed upon his people?

Fenrir sniffed the dead man, pawing at him gently. I watched, waiting for him to be either eaten or trampled. But, to my surprise his body began to turn a vibrant green. The man grew four times his size and transformed into a giant green monster, ready to fight the giant wolf. Despite his size, he was still no match for the creature. He quickly grabbed fenrir by the thirst and pulled him into the water below as the began to fight.

I focused on the furry beast, my eyes narrowing as I watched them tumble in the water below. Calm, Fenrir, I repeated in my mind. My body went hot as it tingled with energy, flowing out from me and into the wolf. It felt like the first time I had enchanted Heimdall, before I knew it, the wolf's energy became an extension of my own.

"He's gonna hurt Fenrir," Hela cried anxiously, her crystal green eyes rimming with tears.

Continuing my enchantment, I fell to my knees, barely able to take on the strength of the wolf as he began to calm down. As he took the beatings from the green man, Fenrir began to refuse to fight back but slowly was beginning to give up. He took each hit and returned none.

Controlling the beast felt like being electrocuted. My spine tingled and my skin felt as though it were on fire. All oxygen was being sucked out from me as I did everything in my power to slow the beast. There was a pulling sensation that stemmed from my heart, it felt as though Fenrir and I were two opposing magnets.