Chapter Thirty

LOKI'S POINT OF VIEW
Sigyn explained to me that it genuinely felt like her body was bursting at the seams. I learned that typically, pregnancy is no more than 40 weeks. My poor wife was now at 42 weeks and four days which as you could imagine was not a delightful experience.

She was beginning to have contractions but that was it. No water break, no dilation, nothing. She spent most of her days in a bath or trying every trick possible to induce labor.

My poor Sigyn, as beautiful as she is, was a complete mess. I was doing absolutely everything in my power to console her but she assured me that there was nothing I could do until "this damn baby came out." Her words, not mine.

She insisted that I take her on a walk through the gardens. She figured it may finally put things into motion.

"I hope this works," she whined as she walked by my side, holding my hand.

"I know dear," I said with a chuckle, I had one hand on the small of her back to steady her.

Her appearance now was quite comical. Standing at a mere five feet tall, she was as thin as ever, regrettably losing at least twenty pounds, yet somehow her bump looked as though it would cause her to topple over at any second. Her hair was piled up in tangled braids and she was almost constantly winded. It was quite funny when she would try to argue with me as she simply could not get enough out before having to pause for a breath. Her stubbornness was at an all-time low, too tired to really put up a protest.

"You don't understand how absolutely awful this is," she said.

"I'm sure it's far more than anything I can bear," I assured her with a chuckle.

"I just want her to be here already, to hold her in my arms, but no. She's already stubborn as all hell."

"Hmm, I wonder where she got that from," I teased only receiving an eye roll in response, "My bet still stands, she's gonna be just like you."

"Well we'll know soon enough whether she's like me or like you," she said, "But I know I'm right, Hela is going to be just like her father."

Later that day, we were back in our bed-chamber. Sigyn was going on and on about some gossip she had picked up from her nursemaid. Something about finding a daughter shacking up with a guard, I really didn't know. I was reading in our window seat and she talked, not really listening but giving the occasional "wow" or "mhmm". 

"Loki?" she called.

"Mhmm," I answered mindlessly, flipping the page.

"Loki?" she called again, this time her voice a little louder.

"Yes, dear," I replied again, paying no real attention to her voice as I was too caught up in my book.

"Loki!" she yelled snapping me out of my trance, "My water broke."

Before I could truly process what she said, instinct seemed to kick in. I dropped my book immediately and ran to her aid. Hastily, she clutched my arm as her knees buckled beneath her. Her knuckles were white as she doubled over in pain.

Alright, I thought to myself, beginning to panic just a little, water broke-time to get a nurse.

I swiftly picked Sigyn up before laying her carefully on our bed.

"Loki-" she began, refusing to let go of me, "Please don't go, please."

"Sigyn," I pleaded, "I have to get a nurse, you're already-"

She shook her head, "No," she choked, "There's not enough time, I need you to stay here."

"But-" I began but before I could say anything else, Sigyn was hit with another contraction. I could tell that this one was more powerful than the last as when she held on to me, her knuckles nearly turned white. Tears began to pool in her chocolate brown eyes, her cheeks were bright red, and as much as she tried to steady herself-her breathing was quite ragged.

"You have to listen to me," she demanded, meeting my eyes, "You have to do everything I say, alright? We don't have time for a nurse, by the time you come back with one the baby will be here. Do you understand?"

I nodded. I could do no more than obey. Sigyn had delivered hundreds of children, helped hundreds of mothers, and quite frankly knew more about this than I could ever. She knew her body and she knew labor, it was best to simply listen.

She nodded and took a deep breath as she laid her head back.

"My contractions are less than two minutes apart and are more than a minute long," she explained breathily, her eyes squeezed shut, "I'm gonna bleed, it's okay, don't be scared."

"How much bleeding is too much bleeding," I asked frantically.

"Don't worry about that," she said, "Lift up my dress."

I nodded, lifting up her dress as she explained all this to me. She was far calmer than I was. She was pacing herself and regulating her breathing whilst I felt like I was experiencing a heart attack. To be fair, she knew what she was doing. I, on the other hand, was absolutely clueless but was about to deliver my own child.

Had this been any other woman and not Sigyn, the love of my life, I would have already thrown up or passed out. Lucky her, I was able to somehow stop myself from doing this.

"If you see the head," she managed as another contraction came, "place your hand on the head and provide it with support. Don't pull."

"Don't pull," I repeated, "Sigyn are you sure? I can get a nurse in then than twenty minutes."

"No," she said coldly, "No, you can do this, just listen to me. Do not pull on her head or body, you'll hurt her, alright? Just let the baby and labor contractions do the work. Ok?"

"This is insanity," I said, putting my hands up in protest, "Sigyn, I can't-"

"Loki, I swear to God," she groaned, "Just shut up and help me."

Just as she said this, another contraction hit her with full force. She was now obviously bleeding as crimson stained the train of her white gown.

You can do this, Loki,  I assured myself, attempting to hype myself up to follow Sigyn's lead.

"Ready when you are," I said, getting into position, "One...two..three."

Sigyn cried out as she began to push, gripping the bed sheets as tight as possible.

Doing exactly as told, I began to try and guide our duaghter out.

Within less than three minutes, Sigyn's cries melted into tears of joy as the faaint cry of Hela rang out.

Holding the babe in my arms, I felt as though I couldn't breathe. I counted all ten toes and all ten tiny fingers. Her tiny head was covered in a tuft of midnight black hair and her nose swooped up in an elfish fashion. Her skin was plump and pink and faint Jotun markings striped her skin. I could have stared at her for hours. Nothing else mattered the second I saw her. 

She was absolutely perfect in ever way.

"Sigyn, look, " I said as I turned to meet my wife. 

I pried my eyes away from Hela, I looked up to see Sigyn cold and pale. My voice caught in my throat as I yelled out for help, over and over. Soon guards and nurses flooded our quarters. 

Please, please, please, don't leave me, not now.