Chapter Thirteen

I watched anxiously as I waited for my Father to return however, I let not one ounce of my nervousness show across my face. I told myself I must stay calm, my Father may decline his proposal therefore there was no reason to be excited. Additionally, as far as I knew, Loki had simply broken out of prison and was generally a dead man walking.

"They shook hands," Alva squealed, grinning from ear to ear.

"You're going to be a princess, Sigyn," Aldun said, excitedly squeezing my hand as we watched my Father walk back to our home.

As he pushed open our door, all seven of my sisters scrambled as if to avoid the appearance of eavesdropping.

"Sigyn," he said, meeting my gaze.

My Father did not need to say a single word for me to understand all that he had to tell me. I knew he had just promised my hand to Loki and I knew as a father how hard that was.

I grabbed my cloak and kissed his cheek, "Thank you." I hugged him tightly before going out to meet my prince.

Loki's face immediately grew into a grin as he saw me, his arms outstretched.

"My love," he said tenderly, "I have come to-"

Swiftly, I shut him up by grabbing his ear and cutting him off.

"You are never to use your magic on me again, Loki Laufeyson," I warned him, "And so help me god, if you tell me to shush, I will kill you myself."

He chuckled, bending to my will.

"That's my girl," he said, straining to look at me, "I've missed you."

I let go of him, crossing my arms, "You stupid man, you have the audacity to say you miss me yet you sent me away every single time I tried to see you? You are not allowed the luxury of missing me, Loki."

"Darling, please," he begged, pulling me close to him by my waist, "I know, you have every single right to be angry but I don't have much time, you must listen to me."

I took a deep breath, meeting his gaze as I waited for him to explain himself, "What is it?"

I listened intently as he told me all about his brother's plan to avenge Frigga and how aiding Thor would ensure his absolute freedom. He explained how he must travel to Jotunheim and by the stern look on his face I could tell he didn't know if he would return to me alive. He continued to explain that he refused to go with Thor without marrying me first.

"If anything were to happen to me," he said, "I need to know that you would be taken care of, as I had promised. I refused to go without marrying you, I don't know if I'll make it back in one piece, Sigyn. But if we wed now, you'll be provided for in every endeavor, a-and your family too, I've made sure of it."

He paused, looking me over inquisitively as he felt up the sides of my body.

"Loki?"

"Yes, sorry, what I was trying to say is that I'm here to marry you. But have you been taking care of yourself, you're thinner than I remember."

"Loki."

"That's beside the point," he said before fumbling around his vest and pulling out a set of gilded rings, "Will you marry me, Sigyn? Right here, right now before I go to avenge my mother's death?"

I nodded, cupping his face, "Yes, but Loki, my love, there's no one here to witness it, it would barely hold as true."

"That's where you're wrong," Thor's voice bellowed, emerging from the woods, "Between myself and your family, there are enough witnesses to make the union true. The Allfather will be unable to dismiss it."

I looked up at Loki, shocked above all else. How he had pulled all of this off was beyond me, I couldn't help but kiss him.

"Trust me," he said, smiling, "As soon as I return, you'll get the large ceremony you deserve but for now your garden must suffice as our wedding venue."

I laughed, "I don't care where we're married," I said, "As long as I'm marrying you."

LOKI'S POINT OF VIEW
Her father had only one condition upon my marriage to his daughter, he had told me he wished to see her in a white dress. It was a small request and more than possible knowing I had gifted Sigyn at least four white gowns as I courted her.

I waited for her outside, pacing around her garden.

"To be honest brother," Thor said with a chuckle, "I'm surprised she's who you chose to marry. I always thought you may end up marrying someone more like you and I thought you had a preference for brunettes."

I rolled my eyes, "Man, woman, blonde or brunette, I don't care. I'd marry Sigyn regardless of what she looked like. I'm not that vain."

"But she is quite beautiful," Thor commented with a nod, "She'll fit right in with the rest of the palace jewels."

I scoffed, "She's far smarter than any of the wenches that infect the palace, far prettier as well."
"Forgive me for the comparison," he said, putting his hands as to surrender.

All seven of Sigyn's sisters soon flooded out her front door and into the garden where I waited with Thor. Like rapid-fire, they began to introduce themselves to each of us.

Truly, I didn't need their introductions, I knew each by name and birth order. After all, Sigyn talked about them all the time. With all the stories she had told me about them, it was impossible to not catch on. The smallest ones of the bunch were triplets, the middles were twins, then the others were Eerika and Hertha, with Hertha being the second oldest and the closest to Sigyn. After meeting all of them, I had no doubt that my Sigyn was the prettiest of the lot. All six had shaken my hand and proudly told me their name before Hertha finally came to say hello. 

"I'm Hertha," she said with a kind smile as she took my hand, "But I'm sure you knew that."

"Yes," I admitted with a small laugh, "Sigyn talks about you all the time, nothing bad, of course."

She chuckled, "I'm sure she does," she said, "But now is my opportunity to talk about her."

I raised my brow, "What do you mean?"

"Sigyn has not been well ever since you sent her away," she explained, becoming more serious.
"How so? Is she ill? Hurt?"

"No," Hertha said, "I don't believe she's hurt or ill. But every single morning, she falls to bouts of sickness and-"

She paused, looking over her shoulder as to make sure no one would hear. 

"She missed her monthly," she said.

Oh.