Chapter Thirty Five

"My son! Thor has returned! Greetings my boy," Loki said after taking a very heavy swig of wine.

I picked up Hela and immediately moved to the side. I knew what was about to happen was going to be ugly and I certainly did not want Hela caught up in the middle of it all.

Loki gestured for guards to come to our side. Seemed to be that he too knew Thor wasn't fooled by his Odin illusion.

"It's an interesting play," Thor said, gesturing to the stage, "What's it called?"

"The tragedy of Loki of Asgard," Loki said, trying his best to look like his father but failing miserably, "The people wanted to honor him."

"Indeed they should," Thor replied as he turned to Hela and I.

I grimaced, trying my best to smile at Thor. Hela was more than unimpressed as she looked him up and down.

"Who is he?" she asked, tugging on my sleeve gently.

"That's Thor," I said, "He's your uncle."

"I see Loki lives on through his daughter," Thor commented, looking over both Hela and I.

"Yes! Yes he does," Loki said, frantically trying to pry Thor's attention away from Hela and I.

"Her name?" Thor asked.

"My name's Hela," my daughter replied with a yawn, climbing down form my arms and standing by my side.

Thor turned back to Loki. "Hela," he repeated before taking note of the Loki statue that now stood in the palace garden.

"I like the statue. A lot better looking than he was when he was alive though. A little less weasely. Less greasy maybe."

Loki's face was taken over with annoyance and completely soured.

"Papa's not weasley," Hela whispered as she glared at Thor.

"You know what this is?" He beckoned, holding up a giant skull.

Loki nodded and looked at it in awe, "The skull of Surtur? That's a formidable weapon."

Thor approached Hela and I, shoving the skull onto one of the guards besides us. All the while, I tried to smile as if absolutely nothing was wrong.

"Do me a favor," he demanded of the guard, "Lock this up so it doesn't turn into a giant monster and destroy the whole planet."

Thor looked Hela and I up and down. Studying Hela for the longest time. She did nothing but glare at him. Obviously, Hela was not fearful of Thor. Perhaps that was one difference between her and her father.

"So it's back to Midgard for you, is it?" Loki beckoned with a nervous chuckle.

Thor began yo-yoing mjolnir before turning back to "Odin".

"Nope," he proclaimed, "I've be having this recurring dream lately. Every night I see Asgard fall to ruins."

"That's just a silly dream! Signs of an overactive imagination."

"Possibly. But then, I decide to go and investigate and what do I find but the nine realms in complete chaos. Enemies of Asgard assembling, plotting against us, all while you, Odin, the protector of the nine realms are sitting here in your bathrobe eating grapes."

"Well, it is best to respect our neighbor's freedom," Loki argued.

"Of course, the freedom to be massacred," Thor replied.

"I've been rather busy myself," Loki continued.

"Watching theater?" Thor scoffed.

"Board meetings, security council meetings..." Loki trailed.

Thor rolled his eyes, "You're really going to make me do it?"

"Do what?" Loki asked with a nervous grin.

Thor spun Mjolnir and swiftly hurled it off into the distance. Harshly, he grabbed Loki by the back of the neck with his arm outstretched in the direction he threw his hammer.

Every guard gasped in unison and Asgardians looked inward with absolute shock. Men rushed to try and pull Thor away but he did no more than push them off.

"Don't be stupid," I said, gritting my teeth as I could hardly look at the two of them. I knew this could only end in one of two ways. Either Loki would reveal himself or Thor would back off. The brothers were equally stubborn but being that Mjolnir would stop at nothing to return to Thor, I knew he had the upper hand.

Thor leaned in close to Loki, "You know that nothing will stop Mjolnir as it returns to my hand," he said coldly as the hammer stopped for a moment before hurling back towards us.

"Not even your face," Thor continued.

"You've gone mad, you'll be executed for this," Loki warned as mjolnir flew towards him with increasing speed.

"Then I'll see you on the other side, brother."

Hela watched on, but as she watched Mjolnir approaching her father she quickly let go of my hand and ran in front of him. This was horrifying, to say the least.

Loki's face paled as he saw Hela and quickly announced, "I yield!" before swooping her up and falling flat on the ground to avoid the flying hammer.

His illusion melted in a glittering array of gold magic, revealing Loki posing as Odin in front of all of Asgard and in front of Thor.

I rushed to his side, kneeling and checking Hela for any scrapes.

Loki glared at him, "Are you mad?" he yelled out, jumping to his feet, "You almost killed my daughter!"

"Where's father? Did you kill him?" Thor bellowed.

"You had what you wanted, you had the independence you asked for!" Loki yelled out, his face growing red, "And you come back here and nearly kill my daughter?"

I swooped Hela up into my arms and quickly moved out of the brother's war path.

Loki pulled out the small dagger he had given Hela and outstretched it towards Thor. His brother pressed mjolnir onto his chest.

"Where is father?" Thor repeated.

Handing Hela to a guard, I swiftly stepped in front of Loki.

"We know exactly where he is," I said calmly, "Put down the hammer and we can talk."

"What are you doing?" Loki hissed, grabbing me by the waist and trying to move me out of the way.

"You know where he is?" Thor questioned.

"Yes," I said, "But my statement stands. Hammer down."

Spinning mjolnir, he hung the hummer on his waistband before shooting a charming smile.

"Thank you," I sighed, grabbing Hela and holding her close, "Will you two ever be nice to eachother? Or will I have to live the rest of my days breaking up your fights?"