Chapter Sixty-Four

"I don't even know where to begin," I admitted softly, resting my elbows on my knees, "Have you talked to Sigyn at all?"

"I attempted it," Loki said, sighing gently, "She's not necessarily able to converse. I talked to her for a little before she passed out again. But, she's not really one for confrontation."

"Did she say anything to you?"

He nodded and pursed his lips, replying, "Yes, she made it very clear to me that I'm far from her favorite person right now."

Loki scoffed and took a swig before he continued, "She said that she loves me but added that she doesn't like me."

I couldn't help but laugh. It was too good. Especially seeing how much the comment stung for Loki made it even better. Loki and Sigyn had their issues but god was it entertaining to see her knock him off his pedestal like that.

"Sorry," I choked, trying to subdue my laughter, "That must be um...rough."

Loki glared at me, "You're no help."

"Oh, forgive me brother but, that's just hilarious," I said, patting his shoulder as I laughed.

"Very funny," he sneered, "But what do I do about it? I-"

He paused for a moment, taking time to think things over. His entire demeanor changed, for once he looked vulnerable. But even then, his erraticness remained ever strong. His eyes had the same glint that had existed when he had possessed the tesseract. He continued, "I don't know if she's going to make it, Thor. I don't want her last memories of me to be of hatred. And even if she does make it out of all of this alive, how do I know she'll ever forgive me? I want to make this right, you just don't understand."

"Then enlighten me," I said, shrugging, "Make me understand."

"Thor," he said firmly, his tone very serious as he continued, "I love those girls. I don't want them to hate me. I want to make them happy, I really do. I want to provide them a life with joy, with laughter, with safety...I just don't know how I can make it up to them and fast, Thor. I have this feeling that I don't have much time to make this all right."

"What do you mean? You don't think Sigyn will survive?"

He shook his head, "It's not that...I don't know. But that's not what's important right now. Sigyn and Hela are what's important."

I nodded. Loki was extremely on edge. I could tell he was stressed beyond belief about fixing everything, Sigyn's health, and Hela's wellbeing. I had seen Loki scared before, mad even, but nothing compared to the disarray he presented then. His hands were visibly shaking and his skin was paled. He was panicking over this.

"Loki," I said softly, putting my hand on his shoulder, "Tell Sigyn how you feel. Tell her you're sorry in every way you can. And after that, just listen to her. She'll tell you how she feels and tell you what she needs. You just need to be patient enough to hear her out. It's no longer about you, it's about her. Make sure she knows that."

He nodded as I continued, "I know it's hard to talk to Sigyn right now. It's scary but considering her condition it's also difficult to even attempt. This would be a perfect time to show her how much you care. Dote on her, dote on Hela. I' she she's appreciate that."

"I know can at least do that," he said with a dry chuckle, "I've done that before."

He actually smiled lightly as he recounted, "I know you weren't around but Sigyn had a very difficult time when she was pregnant with Hela. Poor thing could hardly walk and was always in pain. But, I just...stayed at her side during her bedrest. It was actually quite fun playing nurse other than the times when she told me I was doing things wrong or Hertha would visit."

Happy to see him relax somewhat, I printed him to continue as I asked, "I can't imagine getting Sigyn to stay on bedrest. Was it difficult?"

Loki shook his head, "No, she's a healer you know, so she knew it was necessary. Keeping her in bed was far from the hardest part of it all."

Sitting back, I quirked a brow, "What was the hardest part then?"

Loki grinned, seemingly very proud of himself as he replied, "Delivering Hela."

I chuckled, "And that was hard for you, how?"

"I delivered Hela all by myself, no nurses, no medics, just me and Sigyn."

Hearing him reminisce made me hopeful for him. By the way he retold this story, smiling from ear to ear as he recalled minute details, I was able to see for the first time how much he truly loved his two girls. As Loki explained how much he loved taking care of Hela as an infant and seeing Sigyn grew into a mother, I was finally able to understand what kept pulling him back to Sigyn. Despite his selfishness and unbashful hunger for power, he always made his way back to her. I could tell now, she was the only thing that softened him. She was his rock, able to pull to him back to reality even when he was blinded by images of grandeur. This was no easy task, hell, I had even tried to be that person for my brother. As he talked, I began to realize that it wasn't anything special about Sigyn that allowed her to keep him grounded. Rather, it was a spark within Loki. A magnetic force inside him that drew him to her time and time again. Was it love? Maybe. Infatuation? Definitely.