Chapter Thirty-Seven

Loki woke up in a particularly self-conscious mood, to say the least.

The first thing out of his mouth the next morning was, "You don't think he would make a better king than me, do you Sigyn?"

Barely awake, I yawned and stretched. I was certain that my husband had been racking his brain for hours over this question. He was no doubt comparing himself to his brother in every way he could think of.

"Goodmorning to you too," I said, turning over to look at him, "And no, I don't think he would."

"That's what I thought," Loki huffed as he crossed his arms, "He's not all that bright. Besides, it's not as if he's looking to settle down any time soon."

"Don't concern yourself over your brother," I said, reaching out and rubbing his shoulder gently, "He's not here to take your throne, he's just here to help."

"Well that's what he says but I don't believe him."

I laughed, "My love, you're the God of lies and you can't even tell when your own brother is being truthful?"

"Well, it's not that," Loki said with a sigh, relaxing under my touch, "We have such a good thing going on here, Sigyn. I'm scared he'll ruin it."

"The only way he could ruin the life we have here is if you let him ruin it," I reminded him, kissing his cheek before I got up and grabbed my robe.

"Meet me for breakfast?" I asked, receiving a brief nod and smile in response.

I tied my satin robe around my waist and slipped on a pair of shoes before making the shirt walk to Hela's nursery. I gave a soft knock before opening her door. As with every morning, Hela had made a complete mess of her bed. Books were strewn about and her covers were in complete disarray. Hela was still completely asleep, her feet dangling off the end of her bed and her head lying upon the book she was reading last.

Quietly, I walked to her windows and pulled the drapes open. Warm sunshine pooled into her room and caused her walls to glitter. Hela stirred slightly, pulling a blanket atop her head.

"Goodmorning, Hela," I coped gently as I pulled back the blanket, "It's time to get up."

Hela was a lot of things, but a morning person was not one of them. She whined and immediately grappled for the blanket once again.

"No momma," she begged, "I'm tired."

"Oh I know," I said, sitting beside her, "It's so exhausting being you, isn't it?"

She nodded and yawned as her green eyes fluttered open. She rubbed the sleep out her eyes as she sat up.

"Is that Thor guy still here?" she asked, slumping onto me.

"I believe so," I said as I picked her up, "Tell you what, we'll go have to breakfast with papa and if Thor's not there we can go and look for him. Alright?"

Hela nodded and put her head on my shoulder. As we walked to the dining hall, she clutched a small stuffed horse. Loki had given her the toy ages ago and now she took it with her everywhere she went. It was not a delightful-looking thing, it had nine legs and was now ratty and grey. Nevertheless, she loved it.

Hela, ever the sorceress, opened the hall doors for us with a flick of her hand. At the table inside, Thor and Loki had already found each other and of course, were already bickering. Upon seeing Hela and me, Loki got up from his seat and said, "I will not argue with you in front of my daughter, so if you could please grace me with some composure for once in your life, that'd be much appreciated."

Thor only rolled his eyes before shooting a smile at Hela and me.

"Hello," I said awkwardly, "Beautiful morning, isn't it?"

"Gorgeous," Loki agreed, pulling out chairs for Hela and me and kissing us both on the cheek, "How did the little monster sleep?"

"Fine," Hela replied softly, "I couldn't sleep though, I was reading and I had to finish the book and-and now I'm tired."

Loki made a dramatic face and took her from my arms, "Reading too late will do that to you, dear."

"I know that papa," she said with a sour expression.

"Obviously, her highness knows everything about everything, Loki," I said sarcastically as I sat down, "How dare you put her intelligence into question?"

"You're right," Loki said with an exasperated tone as he sat Hela down before dramatically kneeling at her side, "Forgive me, princess."

Hela giggled before pulling him up. He peppered her with kisses before taking his seat next to me.

"I thought I'd die before seeing Loki kneel," Thor said in an amused tone as he took a large bite of breakfast.

"Don't start," I pleaded as I poured Hela a glass of juice.

Thor chuckled slightly, leaning back in his chair as he studied Hela.

"You look too much like your father," Thor said leaning forward to get closer to Hela.

"I'm much prettier than Papa," Hela said, "And you're stinky."

I couldn't help but laugh. It was entertaining to see Thor be put in his place by a little girl.

"Well I'm a warrior," Thor said as he straightened his posture, "The strongest avenger, the best warrior in Asgard,  and wielder of Mjolnir, do you expect me to be squeaky clean?"

"Mhmm. Lady Sif isn't stinky and she's actually the best warrior in Asgard," Hela commented, reaching for a pastry.

"They're quite the pair," I said quietly as I smiled at Loki.

"I can see that," he said with a soft chuckle.

Thor grabbed Hela's pastry from her hand and took a giant bite with a big grin.

"Oh, she's not going to like that," I warned Thor with a smug smile on his face.

Hela scrunched her nose and furrowed her brows. Thor's cup instantly fell upon his lap and was followed by an entire pitcher of water. Thor looked up with a stunned expression which prompted a smile to appear on Hela's lips before she grabbed another pastry.

"If you wanted to share, you could have just asked," she said innocently.

Thor grumbled, grabbing a wad of napkins he looked at Loki and said, "She is far too much like you."