Chapter Eighty-Six

HELA LOKISDOTTIR'S POINT OF VIEW
"I think it'd be best if you left, uncle."

Thor chuckled, completely oblivious. 

"Hela," he cooed as he laughed, "Always so dramatic! You're just like your father in that way. Isn't she just like him?"

Thor took my mother's face by her chin, turning her head towards me aggressively. I could tell she was stifling her own emotions, she was always very slow to anger. 

"Isn't she?" he said again. Thor was obviously attempting to appear tender and sweet but my mother was having none of it. Her jaw was clenched tightly and she refused to meet my eyes. From the crimson blush that spread over her cheeks, I could tell she was ashamed.

"Yes, Thor," she said, her voice harsh and cold.

"I'm getting awfully tired," I attempted, pretending to yawn and stretch, "Ya know, really late and all. You should turn in for the night, uncle."

"Yes, very late," my mom echoed, jabbing Thor in the side with her elbow as she put a very fake smile upon her lips

He flinched lightly, "Well then, won't you walk me home, Sigyn? I have a few things I need to touch base with you on."

She shook her head, "No, I don't think it would be appropriate to leave Hela alone at night."

"Yeah," I seconded, continuing straight into a lie, "I'm kinda scared of the dark, you see. I'd ya know, get scared without her here."

"Then I should just spend the night!" he exclaimed, completely not getting the point, "To assure you that it's completely safe in the dark. The best way to get over your fears is by facing them head-on with a family member!"

I groaned, igniting my palms. "You're really not getting the point, uncle," I said, more than annoyed at this point.

He put his hands up, simultaneously pushing my mother in the process. As tiny as she is, she easily fell to the ground at his shove. She gritted her teeth, her icy blue eyes squeezing shut. By the way she didn't immediately bounce up, I knew she was hurt in some way. I looked up at Thor, seething at his idiocy. I could only stand his absolute obliviousness for so long but now, after hurting my mother I could hardly hold back any longer.

"Hela," he bargained, taking a few steps back, "Let's not be too hasty, bunny."

My hands lit up with green flames. Now, he had really done it. I took a deep breath and tilted my head to the side, eyeing him.

"I told you, uncle," I said, stepping towards him, "Don't call me Bunny."

I flicked my hand upwards, sending a shot of magic to uppercut the god of thunder. He stumbled backward, hitting our mantle and shattering a picture frame in the process.

"Hela," he bellowed, his voice casting a warning tone.

"Why don't you just get the hint? Hm?" I said, sending another burst of magic his way. He quickly dodged the blast, allowing it to break the mirror behind him. I rolled my eyes, "Great, now you have not only refused to leave but now I have seven years of bad luck. Some uncle you are."

"You are just like Loki," Thor commented, dragging out every syllable as lightning began to appear in his palms.

"Must be why I hate you so much," I replied, quickly hurling a set of daggers in his direction. Again, he swiftly evaded my attack as he stepped to the side. The two blades stuck firmly into the wall. I groaned in frustration, Thor was truly insufferable. No wonder I wasn't actually related to him.

"I don't want to hurt you," he said cautiously.

I scoffed, "Oh so I'm off limits but my mom isn't?" I retorted, firmly gripping my two daggers and pulling them from the wall.

"You don't understand," Thor continued, "I didn't hurt her, Hela. Our relationship is just complicated."

I rolled my eyes, "Why are you still here?" I asked, flinging the door open for him with spindles of magic.

"Because I'm not going to let you be a brat!" he bellowed, "Someone ought to teach you discipline,  I suppose it has to be me."

Lightning cracked overhead and my eyes widened. Instantly, I knew I had overstepped. He took a step towards me, his eyes beginning to glow as sparks flew from his fingertips. I stumbled backward, tripping on a shard of broken glass. 

I raised my hands, smirking as I lifted up each individual piece of glass. Each turned in his direction, pointing directly towards my uncle.

"Bring it on then," I challenged. Thor narrowed his eyes, thunder shook the house as he approached me. I turned my hands, slowly orienting the shards to aim directly at him. Just as we were about to charge each other, I became paralyzed.

My body felt numb as I was held in place. The shards scattered on the ground, falling at my feet with icy clangs. I was completely unable to move, even my eyes were locked forwards. Looking directly at Thor, I realized he too was immobile as the storm outside came to a halt.

"That's enough," my mom said firmly, walking between us with a subtle limp. Her hands were glowing with golden magic. Of course, I thought to myself. I've felt this same calm countless times before, the warm presence of magic coursing through my veins was so familiar. My mom was enchanting the two of us.

"You two need to calm down," she said slowly, she was using her 'mom voice' on the both of us.

"This," she said, gesturing to the mess we had made, "Is unnecessary. God, is it some sort of requirement for heirs of Asgard to be so dramatic? I mean, seriously, how are either of you expected to sit on a throne."

She shook her head, pausing as she took a deep breath. "The headache I have right now is more unbearable than my freshly broken ankle," she muttered. She waved her hand, reforming all the broken pieces of glass to reform into the mirror they were previously. 

"That's better," she sighed, watching as the mirror completely healed itself. 

"Now," she began, looking at the both of us, "You, Thor, are going to leave without saying a word when I set you free. Understand?"

He grunted lightly to let her know he understood. She smiled, "Good, such a great listener. And you, Hela? Straight to your room, no reading tonight. If I so much as see your light on I will put you on gutting duty for a month. Got it?"

I couldn't speak but I managed a small sound of agreement.

"Great," she said, letting Thor and I go from her enchantment, "Now before you break another thing, do as I said. Please."