Chapter Eighty-Seven

SIGYN'S POINT OF VIEW
Thor slammed the door swiftly behind him, causing the entire house to shake. I sighed, rubbing my face.

"Are you really grounding me right now?" Hela asked, her tone angry and sharp.

"No," I admitted, leaning against the wall to take weight off my throbbing ankle, "I just would've never heard the end of it if Thor didn't think I was punishing you."

"Oh," she said softly. I could almost feel her anger at me melt away as she continued, "So you're not mad at me?"

I shook my head, as I sat on the floor with my back against the wall. "No, no, Hela. You did the right thing. I should be thanking you," I affirmed.

My head was absolutely pounding, hearing Thor speak was almost nauseating at this point. I was very grateful that Hela had gotten him to leave. But now, even after I had affirmed that Hela was not in trouble I could feel her guilt radiating from her. Hela's emotions were powerful and strong, she could seldom hold them in. She was often labeled as sensitive or hotheaded, but I saw this as a virtue in her. It was more difficult for me to face how I felt, I wasn't as brave as she was to just simply tell people how I was feeling. Truly, she wore her heart on her sleeve and I was proud of her for it.

"What's wrong, dear?" I asked as I gently patting the ground beside me, inviting her to sit. She shifted uncomfortably, something was clearly bothering her.

"I'm worried," she admitted, sitting beside me and putting her head on my shoulder. I pulled her close, gently tucking her hair behind her ear.

"About what?" I said, watching as she fiddled nervously with the hem of her shirt.

She was quiet for a moment, clearly mulling things over before she finally blurted out, "I'm worried about you, momma."

Instantly, I was taken aback and heartbroken all at the same time. I nodded, fully ready to listen to her. Whatever she had to say, clearly it was important to her and I truly wanted to understand how she felt. 

She sighed as she continued, "I know this is silly but...I'm just worried that you're gonna simply..forget about papa one day."

I furrowed my brows, "Dear, I could never forget about your father."

I laughed lightly and explained, "Even if I wanted to forget about him, I couldn't."

I stopped, thinking for a moment as I continued, "Your father was the only man I could ever love. I still miss him, you know. Every single day I miss him. I'm just grateful I have you, dear. You're the only thing I have left of him."

She nodded, leaning into my touch as I stroked her long black hair. Constantly she was receiving comments of being just like Loki, everyone could see it even if they barely knew him. The resemblance in their features was uncanny, their big round eyes, the similarities in their devilish smiles, even the way their ears stuck out just slightly. As Hela grew up, it only became more and more apparent that she was Loki's daughter. 

Not only did the two of them look alike but she shared so many of his mannerisms. Whenever Hela was about to something devious, she would tilt her head and smirk just as I had seen Loki do so many years ago. They were both so in touch with their emotions too, unafraid to feel them out. Hela walked witht he same undying confidence that Loki once had too. From the furrowing of their brows to the way they'd sleep, they were so alike in every way. I was so thankful for this as he so clearly lived on in her.

"You just seem...like you are...moving on? Because of Uncle Thor," she said softly, "And, listen, I don't know what's happening between you two but, yeah..."

I sighed, leaning my head back.

"If you want me to be honest, Hela," I said defeatedly, "I don't know what's happening either. It's complicated and annoying as all hell but, I'm trying to...make him less dependent on me."

That was the absolute best way I could put it without getting into the nitty gritty of it all. Truthfully, the situation between Thor and I was just and confusing for me as it was for Hela. I did not blame her one bit for being worried about it.

"He's just so..." she began, pausing before she finally blurted out, "Annoying."

I couldn't help but laugh. Thor was quite annoying, she was completely right.

"He is," I seconded through my laughter, "Very very annoying."

"Thank god he only comes down from his cabin and videogames like...once a week," she sighed.

"I know," I agreed.

"You know," she began," Papa was much handsomer than Thor, in case you were wondering and all that. Less annoying too if I remember correctly."

"I know, Hela," I said, laughing, "Trust me, I know."

We sat in silence for a while, Hela just sitting besides me and calming down under my touch. For a brief moment I thought she must've fallen asleep. She was so quiet and still. 

She piped up, her voice quiet as she said, "I wish we had a picture of papa."

I nodded, "I do too."

"We have nothing to remember him by," Hela said quietly, "I know you say you won't forget him but...I'm worried I will."

"I know, darling," I whispered, my heart ached at her sadness. I couldn't imagine being in her position, losing everything at such a young age. She was so little when we had to leave Asgard and just weeks later she had to come to terms with Loki's death too. One thing after another hit us, continuing as half of the universe simply disappeared. It must have been so confusing for her, Hela's little mind having to wrap itself around so much loss. I wish I could've shielded her from it all, allowing her to live a normal life but here we were, on Midgard. The sole heir to the Asgardian throne was far from any palace and living simply in a cabin by the sea. It was far from the life she deserved, but I was trying. 

"Is your ankle alright?"she whispered, fighting away sleep as she yawned.

I smiled softly and kissed her head.

"It's okay, love," I said softly. She nodded, her green eyes fluttering shut as she finally drifted to sleep.