Chapter Sixty-Two

When Sigyn woke up, she was more than a terror.

In the middle of the night, she began to writhe and twist in her sleep. Her brows furrowed into a fierce expression as her breathing became more ragged. Sigyn was quite notorious for her night terrors, having slept by her side for nearly six years-this was something I was more than aware of. Often she would scream in her slumber or begin to beg with some unknown force, once she had even gotten up and out of bed-attempting to run away from whatever plagued her sleep. Hertha was obviously aware of this as well, immediately shaking off her own tiredness before working to soothe her sister.

"Sigyn, darling," I said softly, gently rubbing her hand, "It's just a dream, it's alright."

Sigyn immediately recoiled at my touch, beginning to whimper softly. Despite her being completely asleep, she looked terrified.

"The gelsemium must be wearing off," Hertha said quietly, barely awake herself.

God, Hertha was stupid. About every two seconds, I felt the need to turn to her and ask how stupid she thought I was. I was married to Sigyn. I know a thing or two about medicine after hearing her talk about nearly every day for the past six years of my life. Obviously, I knew the gelsemium was wearing off, otherwise, she wouldn't be having a nightmare. In my exhaustion, I found it especially hard to hold my tongue around Hertha. How could my wife, so clever, kind, and beautiful possibly be related to her? I found it hard to believe but, I digress.

"I see that," I said softly, turning on the lights of the cabin with a flick of magic.

Just as the lights flickered on overhead, Sigyn shot up from the bed. Immediately, she doubled over in pain and groaned out.

"What happened," she muttered softly, clutching her torso in pain, "I look like a mummy, there's so many god damn bandages."

"Well, Loki let you get shot and impaled," Hertha explained, "But asides from that, good morning, sister dearest."

"I didn't let her get shot," I defended, grabbing a few pillows and placing them behind Sigyn before I laid her down again gently.

"Then how did she-"

"Please," Sigyn interrupted, rubbing her face, "Please don't argue right now."

Hertha huffed and glared at me before she got up and promptly announced, "I'm gonna go get you some water. I'll be back in a second."

With one more dagger-eyed stare and slam of a door, Hertha was gone. Finally. But, with my annoying in-law now gone I was left alone with Sigyn.

"Dear, I-" I began before Sigyn quickly cut me off. Covering her face with her hands, she quickly said, "I don't want to talk about it. We can just move on, alright? Pretend it never happened, I'm sorry I said anything."

My heart broke. I knew this was coming but yet it hurt all the while. The last thing I wanted was for Sigyn to apologize to me.

"Sigyn," I said softly, gently taking her hands into my own as I knelt on the floor beside her bed, "Please, don't be sorry. Dear, I'm the one who should be apolgizing. I should be begging for your forgiveness, not the other way around."

Sigyn furrowed her brows, looking at me as though I was absolutely insane.

"What do you want from me?" she asked quietly, her voice pained and unsure.

"I want you to tell me absolutely everything I've done wrong," I said, looking up into her chocolate brown eyes, "Every minute detail, I want to know. I want to fix this Sigyn. I want to listen to you."

"Is this a trick?" she questioned, narrowing her eyes, "This isn't funny if it is, why are you doing this?"

"It's not a trick," I assured her, "Look, Sigyn, I haven't been the man you need me to be. I know that, but I want to become the husband and father you deserve. I want to make this all up to you."

Sigyn shook her head, gently pulling away her hands from me, "I don't understand. You're kneeling in front of me and begging for me to tell you how to fix all of this? Loki, I have no clue how to heal our trust. You abandoned me, you abandoned Hela, I-I don't even know what to say to you."

"But I thought if I just listened to you, listened to what I'd done wrong I could-"

"Loki," she said sternly, her demeanor shifting from one of confusion to one of absolute distrust, "You're not even listening to me now. I told you, I don't know how to fix this. You betrayed our vows and you were fully prepared to abandon us on Asgard."

She paused, sighing before she added, "You're lucky I still love you, otherwise, there would be nothing to fix."

"I-"

She swiftly cut me off yet again, "Just because I love you does not mean I like you."

I nodded, biting my tongue from saying anything else. She made a fair point.

"I don't want you to say anything else, I get that you're sorry," she said, her tone softening, "Now show me that you mean it, alright?"

"As you wish."

We sat in silence for a long while before she finally spoke up and said quietly, "Hela missed you, a lot."

I perked up instantly, "She did?"

"Mhmm, very much," she said softly, "What time is it, maybe Hertha can grab her."

"It's the middle of the night dear," I explained, "She's definitely asleep by now."

Sigyn nodded, "Well...she'll be very happy to see you, you know. She's been asking about you constantly. You'll be happy to know you're still on her good side."

I laughed lightly, purely happy to just hear Sigyn joking once again. A small smile cracked on her lips, despite her obviously trying to suppress it.

"If there was one person I wouldn't want against me, it'd be her," I said, chuckling gently.

"Well, if her namesake is any indication of the capability of her wrath, you should count yourself lucky she's not angry," Sigyn said, quirking a brow.

"God, yes. We can't be having a ragnarok part two, now can we?" I said, smiling at her.

Sigyn finally broke into a light chuckle, unable to keep herself truly angry.

"No. No more ragnaroks."