Chapter One Hundred and Nine

Over the next few days, I quickly learned that momma bear was quite upset with me. Sigyn was dutiful in her work, helping the team and doing whatever they told her. She helped heal wounds made in training and acted as a mother for the entire team. Sigyn made sure we were all eating and generally healthy.

But despite her warmness, she was somewhat cold towards me. I could tell it was all due to fear. As she watched Hela hold daggers and brandish magic, I could see her heart wrench within her. She couldn't watch and she most certainly did not want to participate, but there she was nevertheless. I knew Sigyn blamed me for the position she was in but was too kind to truly tell me her feelings.

As she was preparing a meal for the crew, she watched out the main window to the training center. At that moment, Hela stood adjacent to the Black Widow and was being taught disarming tactics. As Sigyn's magic worked away at chopping vegetable and stirring broth, my wife stood steadfastly watching our daughter.

"She'll be alright," I assured her as I came behind her, gently laying a hand on the small of her back and a kiss on the cheek.

"Whether we like it or not, she's bred for this type of thing," I attempted softly, "Between you and I, she was bound to-"

"I know," she sighed, tearing her eyes away from Hela and facing me, "I had just hoped she would have the time to grow up before she had to fight."

"I understand," I said softly and I did. Truly, I understood her plight. This was hardly the position I wanted to be in, either. If everything could simply go my way, we would all be back in New Asgard safe and sound. However, as I realized Hela's determination to do good, I knew that as her father I had to mimic that desire. If I ever wanted to be a good father, and much less a good man, I would have to make decisions that extend beyond what I want to do. I had to make decisions regarding the common good, including the half of the world that had been snapped away.

"But," I said slowly as I tucked her golden blonde hair behind her ear, "You saw that this was her choice. You know she wouldn't do this to impress us, or the Avengers. And Valhalla knows damn well she would not do this to please Thor. Hela wanted to do this on her own volition. And I know I'm not one to talk but dear, what kind of parents would we be if we didn't at least try to set a good example for her? To show her that we can be heroes just like the rest of them."

"Because, Loki," she argued, "I'm not a hero. I know you want to be, and I don't blame you for it. I will stand by your side and I will stand by Hela's side doing my best to put on a strong face. But I'm not a hero, or a fighter, but I'm just a woman. I'm a mother and a wife, and sometimes a healer. But I'm no hero, I can't fight or do any of that."

With a flick of her hand all the chopping and stirring and cleaning of dishes around us halted.

"This is what I'm good for," she explained gesturing to the mess in the kitchen, "And it's what I like to do."

"But if you lead by example, imagine the feats Hela can achieve! She could become a one woman army, dear. She could be the strongest woman to ever live! But she must have a strong mother to help her do it!" I argued.

Immediately, a flip switched in Sigyn and not for the better. Her face fell and her brows furrowed.

"You don't think I'm strong?" she asked as her shoulders slumped.

Instantly, I realized my mistake.

"Dear, come on," I attempted poorly, taking her hands quickly, "This is all important, yes, I know. But, Hela is not a Goddess of Fidelity or...homemaking. You must be able to teach her in the ways of her own patronage. In ways of strength too."