Chapter 26

LOKI'S POINT OF VIEW
A door slammed and suddenly, she was awake. Sigyn shot up immediately only to double down in pain.

"What happened?" she said frantically, reaching out for me which I could tell only made the pain increase tenfold, "Is the baby alright?"

I immediately fled to her side, putting a hand on her back as I laid her down, "Shh, shh, it's alright, Sigyn."

She struggled against me, trying to get up and out of bed despite the pain it caused her. Her breathing was shaky and her small hands held onto my sleeve with a death grip. Hot tears began to stream down her face and I could nearly hear her heartbeat it was so ragged.

"You're gonna be alright, Sigyn," I repeated, gently holding her down, "You need to rest."

"I'm not alright," she insisted, her voice squeaky with fear, "What happened? Please tell me she's okay."

"My love, you're alright, she's alright," I assured her, "You had placental previa, do you know what that means?"

She nodded, taking a deep breath. Telling her that seemed to calm her down.

"They say you need to be on bed rest now, is that right?" I continued, watching as she thought through her diagnosis.

"Yes," she affirmed softly, "It's when the placenta detaches... She's alright?"

I nodded, watching as she slowly calmed down in my arms, "More than healthy, I was told."

She groaned, finally letting her body relax as she rubbed her face. There she was, I thought to myself, there was the Sigyn I knew.

"Bedrest?" she repeated, "For how long?"

"The rest of your pregnancy," I replied, brushing her hair out from her face.

As I suspected, this was no good news to her but to my surprise, she seemed accepting of it.

"Was there a lot of blood?" she asked with a sigh.

"More than," I stated, "A pool of it some would say."

She nodded, "Sounds about right. That's usually the case," she paused, thinking for a moment before asking, "Was Hertha here? I swore I heard her voice."

"Yes," I admitted, "but she had to leave."

"Why was she here?"

"She was just sharing her opinion, not that I had asked for it."

Sigyn looked at me quizzically, "Opinion on what? To her you just came home, what could she possibly have to talk to you about?"

"It doesn't matter," I said, quickly brushing it off, "It's nothing major."

I didn't want to have this conversation, not now. And even if I did, what in the world could I possibly have to say?

Luckily, Sigyn was too exhausted to argue laying back once more with a sigh.

"I'm so tired,"she mumbled softly, cozying herself back up within the covers.

"Just rest, my love," I whispered, bring the covers over her shoulders.

She closed her eyes and was soon sleeping yet again. I hoped that she was dreaming sweet dreams and finally getting some peace. I sure as hell was far from peaceful.

Hertha's hypothesis regarding my possible infidelity was too offensive to ignore. My heart seemed torn in two as I contemplated what she said as I looked upon Sigyn.

A part of me could easily imagine a docile life alongside Sigyn. We would raise as many kids as we damn well pleased, enjoy our days in each other's company, grow old together, and watch our legacy grow as such. The more I thought about it, the more I believed how atrocious that would be. There's no excitement, no adventure, just plain old routine. I wondered if I could sustain such a lifestyle. I wondered if that was what Sigyn expected of me.

Hertha knew her sister best of all, even better than me. She knew her childhood dreams, her longings, she knew it all. Hertha had seemed to imply that this domestic life was all that Sigyn wanted. Little village girl, Sigyn, content with a future filled with children and a husband who works hard and remains loyal throughout it all. She was to be a healer and work that job till the day she died. Her fidelity was to be to her family and her work. That's who Hertha invisioned her sister to be. But was it truly the case?

All her life, Sigyn had played house. Acting as a surrogate mother to each and every one of sisters. She held up her family even as her mother passed and her father was away. So long Sigyn had been a pillar of faith, did she truly wish to maintain that stress? I couldn't fathom Sigyn being satisfied with continuing the path she had been on since her childhood. I believed she craved adventure, friendship, and so much more. But, I was unsure as to whether these longings were truly her own. By taking her innocence and so quickly making her my own, perhaps I stifled her own dreams and she was now just parroting my own.

I had no doubt in my mind Sigyn would remain loyal to me no matter the trajectory she was set upon. Whether we were to caravan across the nine realms, live a life of luxury in the palace, or even take over Asgard, Sigyn would no doubt be at my side.

However, the real question of it all remained. Would I stay at Sigyn's side?

Hertha knew far more about my past than she had initially let on. She knew my history as if she had read it off a page. Days before I had first met Sigyn, my loyalties were spread few and far between. Even upon midgard, women and men were constantly being left in heaps behind me. One after another, or sometimes dozens after dozens, I would leave trails of heart break behind me. At the time, I had no interest in love but only in my own carnal nature. I sought attention in the most gratifying way I could. And damn, did it feel good. It had been a long while that I had gone a night alone in my bed. There was always someone to share it with and someone to fuck.

The word satisfied rang in my head. Would Sigyn be able to satisfy this addiction I seemed to have? She was just one woman. Gorgeous, yes and sweet as can be but was the Goddess of Fidelity a true freak in bed? Not at all. But she had no opportunity to explore her sexuality. Her virginity was gone and suddenly she was pregnant, obviously very little room to find out what Sigyn was like when she felt sexually empowered. I was altogether in the dark as to whether Sigyn could be the one woman I shared myself with for the rest of my life. I so desperately wanted her to be, I wanted to make that commitment but I didn't know if I could.

My heart twinged with guilt as I thought all of this over. Poor Sigyn. I'm so sorry you got stuck with me.