Chapter Forty-Six

HELA ODINSDOTTIR'S POINT OF VIEW
Supposedly, I had forgotten just how stupid Asgardians are. Even after slaughtering a legion of nearly three hundred Einherjar, they still found it necessary to resist my power. It was quite cute to see that they thought they had a chance. Oh, how I had missed the slaughters that come alongside power. Still, it was quite a shame. Good soldiers dying for no good reason all because they couldn't see the future. Sad. I was quite disappointed to have to kill that one soldier, Hodun was his name. What a shame, he would've made a good guard.

My return home was quite bittersweet. It was somewhat shocking to know that I had been altogether erased from Asgardian history. Odin and I had been unstoppable in our prime. I was his weapon in the conquest that built Asgard's empire. One by one, the realms had become ours all through my power. But then, simply because my ambition outgrew him he banished me, caged me, locked me away like an animal. Before that, Asgard's warriors were honored, their bodies buried as heroes beneath the place. The glory days were glorious indeed.

The most offensive part of it all was the way they had treated my legion. My honored soldiers were reduced to nothing but a fairy tale left to rot away beneath the palace floors.

With my niece by my side, I walked through Odin's vault of treasures. The wee girl followed me closely, holding my hand.

"Papa told me I'm not allowed here," she said softly, "That I could hurt myself with these things."

I laughed, "Oh Hela, don't you worry dear. Most of these treasures are frauds."

As I walked with her through the chamber, I knocked the infinity gauntlet over. How tacky it was, all crystalized and gold.

"Fake," I explained with a shrug, as we walked towards the tesseract.

Most of the things that had been sealed within the vault were altogether weak and unimpressive. Even the tesseract was just a toy compared to what I came here for.

My eyes locked upon the eternal flame that sat flickering at the end of the hall. It glowed green and roared with might, seemingly beckoning for me.

"This, Hela, is the true treasure," I explained, "The eternal flame."

She nodded and watched as I reached into the chalice where it sat. I pulled my hand and cupped the raging green flame. I extended my hand to Hela's, "It won't hurt you, my love. You shall come to master this in time."

She nodded slowly and opened her hand up to me, allowing the flame to consume her tiny hand. She marveled at it, turning her wrist to examine the fire. I smiled down at her, I could already see so much potential in her. Her power was no doubt comparable to my own and her all-consuming curiosity would serve me well as an apprentice.

"Do you want to see how you can use that, Hela," I asked, smiling down at her.

She nodded, her eyes glowed bright green in the flame's light. Her hunger for knowledge overpowered any distrust she had towards me. I knew she was starving for power, just as I had when I was her age.

I lead Hela towards the large circular rue that laid etched on the floor. In the hand that held the flame, I manifested a hammer.

"You may want to hold on tight, sweetheart," I said to Hela. Immediately she did as told, gripping my right hand as tight as possible.

Hitting the rune with the hammer, a gaping chasm appeared before us. As the dust settled and marble crumbled, Hela's eyes grew wide. She inched closer to the hole straining to look inside.

I chuckled and walked forward to meet her at her side.

"What's down there?" she asked, looking up at me.

'Why don't we go see?" I asked, taking Hela into my arms and holding her on my hip, "Hold on, dear."

She immediately gripped me tightly, pressing her head into my shoulder before I jumped down into the darkness below. Dust flew around us at our entry, and the light of the eternal flame that laid in our hands revealed the stone crypt before us. 

"An ornate burial place for the heroes of Old Asgard," I explained, setting Hela on her own two feet, "These men were my regiment."

Hela left my side and ran to the giant wolf skeleton that laid in the middle of the crypt. 

"That's Fenris," I explained to her, walking past the hundreds of skeletons to stand before the wolf myself. Even in death, he was terrifying and monstrous. Colossal chains inhibited him, holding down his giant paws.

"What did they do to him?" she asked softly, obviously distraught at the sight of the animal, "He should be free."

"My thoughts exactly," I said, taking Hela's hand in mind I lead her dose of the flame towards Fenrir.

"Repeat after me darling," I commanded, "With all the power, proclaim with the Eternal Flame, you are reborn."

Hela took a deep breath and outstretched her hand to the skeleton, allowing the fire to envelop the bones.

"With the Eternal Flame, you are reborn!" she repeated proudly, her voice echoing off the walls of the ancient crypt.

I immediately followed suit, dousing my arms with my portion of the flame. Soon the entire room was filled with billowing green flames. The bones of the crypt rattled ferociously, causing Hela to cling to my side out of fear.

"Don't be scared," I chided, stroking her hair gently, "These men shall be your army. They will obey your every command."

"My army?" she repeated, a smile threatening to form on her lips.

"Yes, Hela," I affirmed, smiling as the army began to rise. Her smile immediately grew as she watched the army revive. I knew that this promise of power would fuel her. 

 A sinister light returned to Fenris's eyes as he stood proudly before us both. His body was given new life and his fur began to glisten in the firelight. He stood in his total glory, standing powerful and tall. Hela outstretched her hand towards him and he pressed his head into her touch, allowing her to pet him. I smiled, stroking his soft black fur.

"I've missed you," I said to Fenris before turning to face my awoken army, "I've missed you all."