Chapter Seventy-Three

In the short time that I had been unfortunately imprisoned by the TVA and in Agent Modius' custody, I had learned quite a lot. First and foremost, every agent present believed they were personally created by the mythic timekeepers for the purpose of protecting the sacred timeline. I found it ridiculous that this little club was solely responsible for the organization of all time. And best yet, they were getting their directions from three space lizards who no one was even allowed to see. It was absurd, hilarious even. Yet here I was, at the mercy of space lizards and their minions.

Mobius had told me I wasn't on the way to my death yet we had somehow ended up in a room that felt a lot like a killing-me kind of room. It was cold and dark with a shimmering end on one side of it. There was a lone table with two chairs in the center of it all. Mobius was setting up, laying out his multitudes of files. I stood watching from afar, uneasy at all of this.

Something about this place was eery and made my skin crawl. And above it all, I could hardly stop thinking about that name he had mentioned. Sigyn. It rang in my head, buzzing like an awful insect stuck between my ears. I know for a fact that I didn't know my girl by that name but yet it had pierced my heart. Everything in my body was telling me I needed to find her and yet I had no clue who she was.

"Not big on trust, are you?" Mobius beckoned, snapping my focus back to him

I cautiously walked towards him and replied, "Trust is for children and dogs. There's only one person you can trust."

He chuckled lightly and interrupted, "Yourself? I like it. It's kinda out of character for you though, considering Sigyn and all. You trusted her."

There was that name again. God, it sent chills down my spine. I inhaled sharply, simply ignoring what he said as I asked, "If the TVA truly oversees all of time, how have I never heard of you until now?

As Mobius adjusted a small device, calibrating it as an image appeared on the screen ahead, he replied, "'Cause you've never needed to. You've always lived within your set path."

"I live within whatever path I choose," I snapped.

He chuckled lightly, a bright TVA logo appearing on the screen before us.

"Sure you do," he remarked, sitting down at the table, "Alright, come have a seat. Let's get into this."

I approached him cautiously, taking a seat across from him as he smiled at me. I crossed my arms as I eyed him

He smirked, "If looks could kill," he mocked.

"What do you want from me?" I asked coldly.

he shifted in his seat and suggested, "Well, let's start with a little cooperation."

"Not my forte."

"Really?" he asked rhetorically, "Even when you're wooing someone you intend to betray? A.k.a. Sigyn? Or the Grandmaster? Or me? Come on."

"I don't know who Sigyn is," I remarked, "Clearly, you don't know anything about me."

"Maybe I'd like to learn," he said, popping open the tab of a small soda as he proceeded to explain, "I specialize in the pursuit of dangerous Variants."

"Like myself?"

He shook his head, "No, particularly dangerous variants. You are just a little pussycat. Or bunny? You'd prefer bunny, wouldn't you? Isn't that what you call your daughter?"

"Daughter?" I questioned, glaring at him suspiciously.

"Well, I got a series of questions for you," he said, completely ignoring me, "You answer them honestly, and then maybe I can give you something you want. You want to get out of here right? Yeah, so we'll start there."