Chapter Sixty-Seven

SIGYN'S POINT OF VIEW
I had come to the conclusion that space was not my cup of tea. Besides being generally helpless physically, I felt completely helpless surrounding by the vast vacuum of stars and darkness. Looking out the window, I couldn't help but feel totally and completely insignificant. There were millions of stars right before my very eyes and I was nothing but a speck amongst it all. I could hardly acknowledge this without beginning to panic. Thus, Loki decided it was best for me to simply avoid windows.

My condition was becoming significantly better, now I was able to walk and enjoy far more mobility. I was thrilled about this, finally, I was able to escape my tiny cabin and actually be present amongst my people. I had been dying to go and help and be social and was finally able to do so. But most importantly, I was able to somewhat avoid Loki.

I was immensely grateful for his doting, his care, and his devotion to right his wrongs. But truthfully, I didn't want to discuss our marital issues at every second of the day. When I said I wanted to be more communicative about our problems, I hardly meant it to be the only thing we talked about. It was immensely draining to have to discuss my trauma at any time he asked, explaining what had happened to me under Hela's hand and how that made me feel regarding him. Reliving my abuse every single day since it occurred was almost as bad as the abuse itself. I just wanted to move on at this point, there were greater issues at hand aboard the Ark.

Loki, clearly, didn't feel the same. He had done a complete one-eighty in his behavior. Upon Sakaar he was an absentee father and a deserter of a husband but now he was desperately trying to be the opposite. On top of this, he was constantly trying to lure me into pseudo couple therapy sessions. I appreciated his efforts and they were far from unnoticed. But, I was so unsure as to whether his changes were genuine or just a survival tactic. After all, had he continued with his behavior someone in my family or even Thor would have most likely killed him. I chose not to dwell on Loki's motivations, change was good no matter the cause.

Hela was more than thrilled to have him back. She was one of the only people on the ship who didn't have something against Loki in one way or another. Hela was just ecstatic to have him back. All she wanted to do was follow him around like a duckling, always one step behind him. Whilst they were busy playing or doing who knows what, I spent my newfound freedom healing, delegating supplies, or simply cleaning up.  

In our cabin, I was doing my best to clean up the carnage created by my wounds.  Bloodied bandages and towels were scattered everywhere, making the scene look like a hospital rather than a bedroom. Upon cleaning, I picked up Loki's cloak that he had worn during Ragnarok. It was stained with scarlet red and was wrapped tightly into a ball. Unfurling it, an object fell out-clattering to the floor with a flash of blue light. Instantly, a shiver ran down my spine. The room almost immediately dropped in temperature as the object rolled out from the cloth and to my feet.

Picking it up, my fingers stung as if I had just touched ice. Its blue hue covered the room in an aqua light, and I couldn't seem to tear my eyes away from it. My breath caught in my throat as I looked at the cube and small whispers began to tickle my ears. 

I truly don't know how long I stood there, just listening to the cube. It might have been hours, maybe even mere seconds. But nevertheless, its power radiated into me, leaving my body buzzing with icy chills. My mind was filled with visions I couldn't quite place, just hazy images of my family and foreign planets. My ears rang with voices that I had never heard before, women and men alike. Sometimes I was graced with the sound of laughter but more often than not screams echoed in my brain. I felt as though I was in a dream state, outside of space and time as I held the cube. I was overfilled with a desire to know more, to do more as I beheld the object. At that moment, I forgot everything. All that mattered was the Tesseract. 

"Sigyn," A voice said sternly. It was clear and solid, it wasn't echoing like everything else I had been hearing. 

"Sigyn," it beckoned again, I was now able to pinpoint as coming from behind me.

Finally, it rang out a final time before a hand firmly landed on my shoulder. My skin crawled under the touch, and my body felt as though I had fallen through all of space. Behind my stitches, a pulling sensation grew bigger and bigger. I was pressed hard from all directions. I couldn't breathe. It felt as though there were iron bands tightening around my chest and my eyes were being forced back into my head. My eardrums were being pushed deeper into my skull. My stomach plummeted and my heart began to beat rapidly as I was shot back into reality. 

Swiftly, I turned around and was able to realize the source of the voice was Loki. His eyes were wide with fear as he looked at me, both of his hands firmly holding my shoulders. 

"Give that to me," he demanded anxiously, "Now."

I quickly held the cube behind me, backing up into the wall. I shook my head, keeping my grip tight on the tesseract even as Loki pursued me.

"Sigyn," he said, his voice softening somewhat as he continued, "You don't know what that is, you have to give it to me. Now."

"No," I said firmly as I shook my head. No matter what I truly thought, everything within me was telling me to hold onto the cube. But more specifically, it told me to not let Loki have it.

Loki swiftly grabbed my wrists, his arms wrapping behind me. His visage was overtaken with a powerful gaze. He was stern and serious, more so than I had ever witnessed before. His hands curled tightly around my wrists.

"It's not yours," I whined trying to break free from his grip.

"Well it's not yours either, love," he said through gritted teeth as he spun me around. Before I could protest, he swiftly pinned me against the wall with a hand he had placed on my back. My cheek was harshly pressed against the wall as my eyes welled with tears. For some reason, I was terrified of him taking the cube from me. Even then, I was doing everything within my power to keep the stone away from him.

Prying the cube from my fingers, I was launched into a fit yet again. I felt as though I was squished hard from all directions, the pressure building by the moment. My breath caught in my throat. My chest tightened and my eyes were being pushed back into my head. My eardrums were nearly bursting. My stomach plummeted and my heart was erratic before it all suddenly stopped. I felt the wind return to me as Loki finally managed to tear the stone from my grip. 

I caught my breath, still pressed firmly against the wall by Loki's grip. My body relaxed and the feeling of power quickly dissipated. Pocketing the Tesseract, he quickly eased his pressure on me and turned me around. He brushed the hair out of my face and tilted my head up to look at him. 

"Are you alright?" he asked worriedly, examining my face with wide eyes, "How did you survive that? Dear God, Sigyn, you could have died."

"I'm fine," I managed as he pulled me into his embrace. With my ear pressed firmly against his chest, I could hear just how fast his heart was beating. He was genuinely terrified.

I pulled away for a moment, looking up at him through narrowed eyes.

"What is that and why do you have it?"