Chapter Ninety-Seven

LOKI'S POINT OF VIEW
If I had known that making a cup of tea would make a woman this excited, I would have given up the entire mischief business years ago and started a tea company. Obviously, that single cup of chamomile had caused something to light up within Sigyn. From the very moment she looked into that cup, her eyes had started to glitter. But what can I say? I am pretty irresistible, can't blame her for jumping at the opportunity to kiss me.

But, I really couldn't take all the credit. Since seeing Sigyn in person for the first time, I had been completely awestruck by her. Seeing the tapes, I had always known she was gorgeous but in real life her beauty was tenfold. Locking my eyes with hers, I became instantly infatuated. Entranced even by her. Something about her had flicked a switch in me. Nothing but her touch, her praise, her smile, her joy mattered to me. In the moment I first saw her, I knew I would do anything for her.

Something had changed within me and I couldn't place my finger on it. Was it passion? Or simply awe? Or was I just merely attracted to Sigyn? I knew it couldn't be any of these things. What I felt when her lips had finally met my own was a feeling more intense than any of these things. The last thing I wanted to do was jump the gun on all of this but my mind was urging me to call this feeling what it was. Love.

My hands were like magnets, drawn to her waist. Perfectly they fit alongside her curves, like pieces to a puzzle. Though it was nothing more than a kiss, nothing in my life had ever felt so good. And so right. She was the piece the complete me and my heart sang at the notion. But all the while, I felt grief for the life that had been robbed from me. The years I would have spent along her side were in the past and not mine to claim. I wished so desperately that I could have lived through moments like these over and over and over again. But no. This was regrettably the first time that I had ever been afforded Sigyn's touch, all thanks to the lovely TVA.

As our lips finally departed I couldn't help but ask, "Are you sure you aren't a love goddess?"

A small laugh escaped from Sigyn's lips as she shook her head. "I'm almost positive I'm not," she replied.

I quirked a brow, "Are you really sure?"

"Yes, I am really sure," she said through light giggles, "Why do you ask?"

"I...now don't laugh and please don't be angry," I began, looking down at her through narrowed eyes.

"I won't," she said, crossing her heart.

"I know I had to come back to you, but I thought it was just because I felt responsible for you and your safety but, I now realize it's more than that," I explained slowly, yet again finding myself being uncharacteristically vulnerable.

"I asked because...I find myself drawn to you. And...trust me, I've been with countless women and men but nothing compares to you. All of that just seems silly now," I continued, "I don't just feel...attracted to you but infatuated by you. Does that make sense?"

Sigyn nodded and smiled as if she had heard this all before.

"I know what you mean," she said, her voice gentle.

"And again, please don't laugh," I continued, "I feel like I was incomplete before I knew you existed. The second I saw you, even on those tapes, I just felt like...I had to know you. Really know you."

She listened intently to every word with a small smile on her face.

"Have you heard of the Midgardian legend of soulmates?" Sigyn asked softly, delicately moving the hair from my face.

I nodded and she continued, "Some believe that soulmates exist and you know you've met yours when you respect each other...care for one another, can feel the other's pain...or happiness even, but at the end the day they say you just know when you've met your soulmate."

She gently took my hand and again held it beside her own. Our palms faced the ceiling and she gently traced my finger down the center of her hands, down the deep scar that divided her flesh.

"In my timeline, when I had met you, I instantly knew I would never be able to say no to you or really...live a life without you," Sigyn explained quietly, "You had given me the word for what that meant. Infatuated. But perhaps it would have been more appropriate to say we were soulmates....I'm sorry you didn't get to live the life you deserved, I shouldn't even talk about this. I'm sure it's painful."

I shook my head and tipped her chin up to meet her eyes.

"No, no, please," I pleaded her, "It's alright, really. I want to know everything I can about you, about us. Trust me, it's alright."

Yes, I felt envious of the me that had done all this with Sigyn. But, I would rather hear about it all than live in ignorance of the love I had lost. And, at the end of the day I was at least by her side now.

"What matters, Sigyn, is that I'm here now," I said, tucking her hair behind her ear, "And we have a lifetime ahead of us to make new memories, darling."

I was telling her this just as much as I was telling myself. I was a heap of emotions, bubbling with lust, anger, desire, and fear. I had to convince myself that everything was just fine and the stark reality of this jew life was something I could manage. I wasn't a dead man walking nor was I a man out of time. I was me. I was the only Loki. And that had to be enough.

"New memories," she echoed, holding my hands firmly, "And new adventures, and new days."

She smiled, "I'm really happy you're here," she said quietly.

I nodded, leaning my forehead onto hers.

"I am too," I said, closing my eyes and taking in the moment.

There I was, in the company of who I now understood to be my soulmate. Yes, life hadn't been perfect nor had it been how I had expected it all to play out. But for once, I was complete. The past and the future were both behind me. No more self pity, no more TVA, and no more schemes. I fully intended to live out the rest of my days in peace and serenity.

But obviously, it could never be that easy.