Chapter Seventeen

The next few months seem to pass by with no time at all.

Posing as Odin, Loki was understandably immensely busy. To no surprise of my own, within his new role as king he began to thrive. He organized events with ease, stifled quarrels, leading Asgard with grace and dignity. The crime rate was even lower than it ever had been. Additionally, crops and harvests became more bountiful that ever under his guidance. I had no shame in admitting that I believed he made a better king than Odin.

To my delight, most of my symptoms had steadily disappeared. My mornings were no longer spent hunched over a bucket, thankfully. But the unsatisfiable hunger continued as well did the aches and pains. As Loki had promised, he truly made an excellent nurse. In the security of our chambers, he would practice healing magic in order to try and remedy my aging joints. Alongside this new practice, he would bring me countless teas and medicinals to try and ease any discomfort I may have. It seemed to be that alongside his new position of king, he was quickly growing into his new role as Father.

Despite being only three months along at this time, my bump was now too apparent to hide. Maids and ladies alike would all fuss over me when I made my way into court, festivals, and so on. My size was quite unexpected to say the least. This far along, it should have been barely noticeable especially at my size. Rather, my bump had swiftly grown to the size of expectant mothers who were at least 5 months along. This greatly worried Loki.

In our chambers, we prepared ourselves for a lunar festival that was to be held at the palace. I braided and pinned my hair as I sat at my vanity. Loki stood watching behind me.

"How you manage to twist all your hair into those intricate styles is far beyond me," he said, wwtching inquisitivelt as I pinned up a braid.

"It's not too difficult," I said, finishing it with a line of pearls, "There, all finished."

"Gorgeous as always, Sigyn," Loki said, offering a small smile.

"You flatter me too much," I said, walking to my wardrobe to pick out a dress.

I swiped through my gowns, pulling out a dark blue one encrusted with small pearls. It was elegant and long, and it seemed to be one of the few dresses that might fit me.

"Help me lace it up, dear?" I pleaded, having slipped it over my head.

Walking over, he grabbed the laces at the back of my bodice. I was practically praying it would fit even though I knew that it would be a struggle.

He began to chuckle as he gently laced it up, pulling it as taught as he could.

"It's not going to fit, is it?" I sighed.

"Hold on," Loki said, "I'm sure we could get a longer ribbon and then it'll fit."

I turned around, frowning.

"Nothing fits me anymore," I pouted, "I thought I'd have more time before I out grew my clothes."

"I thought so too," he sighed, stepping back to look over me, "Perhaps you should stay in tonight, I can handle the festival by myself."

My brows furrowed as my cheeks went hot with embarrassment. I scoffed, turning away from him with my arms crossed. I wanted to go to the festival but it seemed as though Loki had other plans.

"Do you not want me to come?" I asked, struggling to get the gown unlaced.

"Sigyn," Loki said, coming to help me, "You know that's not what I meant. I'd love you to come."

"Then what did you mean?"

Taking the dress off from my shoulders, he said, "I'm worried about you. You'd be on your feet for hours and with your hips aching as they have, I was worried you may be in pain."

"Loki," I sighed, rolling my eyes, "I'm fine."

He laughed, backing away from me.

"But that's the predicament, Sigyn," he said, suddenly becoming stern, "You're not fine. You're three months along and look as though you're about to burst."

He stopped and sighed, softening himself, "I'm just worried that this child is going to soon outgrow you."

"Don't be so dramatic," I said, "I'm doing everything I can to remain healthy, Loki, I've barely done anything the last three months other than rest. One small festival won't kill me."

"Please, Sigyn," he begged, taking my hands and holding them to his chest, "Just listen to me, promise me you'll take it easy. I couldn't bear to see anything happen to you."

"I'm not promising you anything," I said sharply, "I know my body and I know my limits. Besides, you didn't have any issue with me exerting myself the other night when we-"

"Sigyn why must you always be so stubborn?" he asked, growing frustrated with my lack of obeying, "Can't you see I'm only wanting for you to be safe?"

"Will you drop this subject if I tell you I won't go to the festival tonight?" I asked him.

"For now yes," he agreed, "But I will keep asking you until you agree fully."

I kissed his cheek, "Thank you, have fun tonight. I'll see you later."

He nodded, kissing me softly before transfiguring himself back into his father and leaving our chambers.

I groaned once he closed the door, angrily taking out each and every one of my hairpins and throwing them to my vanity. His dramatics surrounding it all was insufferable. I knew he was truly concerned about my well being but I couldn't take being barely allowed to see my family, take a walk, and so on.

I sat in my window seat, wrapping myself in a velvet robe. I had the perfect view of the festival from my seat. The gorgeous lights, the fireworks, the magic of it all seemed so inviting. I longed to be able to go down there and be apart of the fun.

Despite all my new maids, ladies in waiting, nurses, and so on who seemed to accompany my every hour, I felt incredibly lonely.