Chapter Eighty-Three

L̷̢̮̍̀Ò̵͙K̷̖͐I̴̘͑'̵̙̩̍Ş̸̔ ̸̭̮̄P̶̬͓̉Ó̴͕Ḭ̶͇̿͝N̴̢̠̂T̵͙͙͌ ̷̭̉Ọ̵̓F̴̼̻̈͑ ̶͓̐̍V̴̬̯̑I̴̮̰͠E̶̟̔̕W̶͋̑͜

Lamentis-1. I had never heard of such a thing yet somehow the tempad had decided to spit me and the variant there before promptly dying right after. Technology was truly so useless and inconvenient. 

And now, there we stood in an abandoned mine shack after sprinting our asses off to avoid falling debris. Truly, it seemed as though the planet was trying to kill us. I stood with my back against the door, catching my breath for a moment. 

Slyly, the variant approached me. Slowly she pressed her hands to both sides of my neck as I regained my breath. I furrowed my brows, looking down at her. From the corners of my eyes, I could see small green spindles of magic.

"Are you really trying to enchant me?" I asked, almost hurt at her complete lack of respect for me. Was I truly such a conniving individual or was this an aspect of personality completely unique to my variant?

I laughed lightly as she persisted, pressing her hands even harder against my skin. The variant was clearly growing annoyed at my lack of submission. Truly, I was surprised I wasn't simply falling to her will. 

"It isn't working?" I questioned, just as confused as her.

She groaned as she stepped away from me.

"No, it's not working," she affirmed, evidently annoyed, "Why isn't it working?"

I eyed her, "Perhaps my mind is too strong," I suggested.

She rolled her eyes and laughed, "No, you idiot. It must be something else. This girl you're trying to get back to, you say she's an enchantress right? Has she made you immune to it?"

I laughed lightly, "Well you see, the thing is I have yet to actually meet her so the theory regarding me just being that strong is far more plausible."

Her jaw dropped, "You mean to tell me, you're wreaking havoc throughout time and space for a girl you've never met?"

"Technically, yes," I admitted, only adding to her shock as I continued, "But I'm destined to meet her. And thus, I need to get back to her to fulfill my role at her side."

She stared at me, looking at me as though I was absolutely insane. She rolled her eyes before swiftly pulling out her sword.

"Look," I sighed, pulling out my own set of daggers, "Are we really about to do this here? Again?"

"What do you propose instead?" she spat.

I shrugged, "I don't know. A truce?"

She scoffed as I continued, "Listen, neither of us is getting what we want if we can't turn that TemPad on."

She scowled, pointing her sword at me as she harshly questioned, " Where do you have it hidden?"

I narrowed my eyes and teased,  "In my heart."

Bearing her teeth like a rabid animal, she growled, "Well, then, I'll cut it out."

"Nice. Very droll. Lovely," I mocked her softly, "Okay, yes, I do have the TemPad, but I'm not gonna get very far if you keep trying to kill me!"

"Well, you're full of it because you need me to get that recharged," she argued, "That's the only reason you saved me out there."

"Maybe. Yeah. I mean, sure," I affirmed, "That too. I'd prefer to get back to my timeline or madam, if you'd prefer we could slaughter each other here in this abandoned mining shack. What do you say?"

She shrugged, "Good for me."

She was atrocious in every single way possible. This variant was stubborn but not in a cute way. Additionally, she so incredibly headstrong. If my patron animal was a snake, hers was certainly a mule. She was stupid, ugly, and difficult. I was all for supporting women but this one was an exception. If I didn't need her, I would've quite fancied seeing her head on a pyre. 

"The plan you interrupted was years in the making," she whined, "Years!"

I waved her off, "Okay, got it."

"And as soon as I turn that TemPad back on, I'm going straight back to the TVA to finish what I started," she explained, waving around her sword like a madman. 

"Good," I said, "Ambitious, love it. Godess of mischief and feminism I see."

She scoffed, "I'll kill you then."

"Or I'll kill you," I countered as she began to walk out of the mine shaft, "Where're you going?"

She gestured through the window and up towards the Lamentis landscape, "There's power somewhere on this moon. We just need enough to travel through inter-dimensional time and space, then I can go destroy the TVA and you can go back to this girl you've never met. Alright?"

I thought for a moment, determining if it was best to trust her. As the moon rumbled ferociously, causing the building to rattle, I realized I had very little choice but to follow her lead. Thus, I walked out with her onto the purple soil in search of a means of charging the tempad. 

"So, what's the plan?" I asked trailing close behind her.

"There's a town near here.," she said, glancing over he shoulder with a powerful glare, "And can you shut up? How do you expect to win the favor of this woman if you whine every five seconds."

Ouch. I simply brushed off her remark, doing my best to keep up with her speed.

"All right, well..." I said, completely out of breath, "Won't you slow down, Variant?"

"What part of imminent death confuses you?" she asked in exasperation, "And don't call me variant!"

She was incredibly touchy and so dramatic. 

"I'm sorry, but I'm not calling some faded photocopy of me Loki," I spat as I caught up to her. 

"Good," she said with a smirk, "'Cause that's not who I am anymore. I'm Sylvie now."

I scoffed, "You changed your name. And you chose Sylvie of all things?Brilliant."

"It's called an alias," Sylvie retorted.

"It's not very Loki-like," I said matter-of-factly. 

"Yeah?" she challenged, "What exactly makes a Loki a Loki?"

"Independence, authority, style," I listed, "And using my actual name instead of some random one from 2077's top one hundred baby names."

"So, that's why you went to work for the boring, oppressive time police!" she exclaimed mockingly, "You fit right in with their lack of unique character." 

"I don't work for them," I explained, "I'm a consultant, I was simply helping them to sweeten my cause of going back to my timeline. I had to do what I did to get what I want."

She laughed, "You don't know what you want. You've never even met this girl you're so desperate to get back to!"

"Oh, yeah?" I argued, "What about you? Your years-in-the-making plan was to tear the place down, create the ultimate power vacuum, and then just walk away. I'd never have done that. I actually have a life to get back to, you just have a pathetic plan to get back to."

"Yeah? Well, I'm not you," she said simply, charging forward, "Can we get on with this now?"

Clearly, she wasn't me. By the sheer amount of drama and immaturity she displayed, it was becoming quite apparent that although she was my variant-we were two vastly different beings. Thank god for it too, otherwise I'd be hardly able tostand myself. 

Sylvie was more annoying than anyone I had ever met before. Goddess of Micheif. Sure. She was far closer to being a pain in the ass than she was to being a goddess.