Chapter Fifty-Nine

LOKI'S POINT OF VIEW
Running through the palace, I racked my brain desperately trying to figure out what to say to Sigyn. She kept quiet, only speaking to utter an incantation or enchant a wayward soldier. She stayed three steps ahead of me at all times, miraculously outrunning me despite her injuries and stature.

Coming across the vault, we hastily made our way inside. Immediately, Sigyn went to the skull or Surtur and despite all her strength-she failed to pick it up. I trailed close behind, slyly pocketing the Tesseract before coming to her side.

I chuckled and easily took the skull, "Looks as though you need me after all, darling."

"I never said I don't need you," she sneered, following me as I placed the skull into the eternal flame. Her eyes glowed amber in the flickering light, they looked golden and sharp-almost like Heimdall's. She outstretched her hands preparing to bring life back into the skull but I quickly grabbed both of her wrists.

Pulling her close, I said, "Forgive me, but I fail to see what I've done to make you so angry. I've come to save you and suddenly you're a witch who wants nothing to do with me."

Sigyn struggled against my grip, straining to get away as her nose scrunched up in frustration.

"Let go of me," she pleaded angrily as I only pulled her closer.

"No, I need you to talk to me," I demanded, "I'm not reviving that skull until you tell me why you're so angry."

"Fine," she grumbled, finally stopping her incessant struggle, "Heimdall told me everything that has happened in the last few months. How you just dumped your father on Midgard and ended up on Sakaar, you were there for three months, Loki. And all you did was gamble and drink! You only decided to come back when you felt threatened by Thor's care for me. And that's not even the half of it, Heimdall refused to tell me more. Apparently, it was too harsh for my delicate ears."

"Thor didn't want to just save you, Sigyn," I explained firmly, "He wanted to take you for himself and steal you from me. I was constantly working to get home to you, what do you want me to say? I'm sorry I didn't slaughter half the planet in the process, I was actually trying to be a good person and not leave a trail of death behind e in getting to you."

She scoffed as she continued, "Well, congratulations! Do you want to know what I've done the past three months, dear? Well, where do I begin...oh, I know! How about the time she choked me, or the second time she did that, or wait maybe I could tell you about the tenth time she had her hands around my throat! The tenth time was truly the best, you know why? Because she raped me, Loki. I got a great scar in the process, I'm sure you'd love to hear all about it because you like that sort of thing, don't you? But, hey, I prevailed, ya know, getting all of Asgard to safety despite being treated like a sex slave in the process. But none of that matters! How was the mead on Sakaar, my love?"

Sigyn's cheeks had flushed a dark scarlet as she spoke. Her voice was erratic yet firm as she listed off all the things that had happened to her. I was reeling as I listened, anger, sadness, heartbreak, and more all bubbled up inside me. I was speechless. Nothing I could possibly say could
make this better. She paused, staring at me with those big brown eyes I had fallen in love with. My mouth laid agape, unable to speak.

She tugged away from me again, one more pleading, "Please let me go."

As I looked at her, I realized she wasn't angry. Rather, she was disappointed in me. In her eyes, the glimmer of hope somehow remained. She hadn't completely given up on me, if only I could somehow make this right. I panicked, thinking of something, anything to say. But all I came up
with was, "I'm sorry."