Chapter Sixty-Nine

"Thanos is coming."

Landing with the entire force of the Bifrost against me, I stared up, gasping for air. Two men stood above me, backlit by a giant window. I could hardly make out their faces, too disoriented to truly focus.

My mind was reeling but voices rang around me, slowly becoming clearer with every passing moment. I sat up slowly, thankful to see Hela was beside me and slowly coming to herself. I reached for her but was quickly intercepted by a man in a red cape.

I grit my teeth, looking up at the man who kept me from my daughter.

"I don't know who the hell you think you are but you would find it best to get out of my way," I warned, preparing my hands to enchant the man. My blood was boiling. Whoever this man was-he was one lucky bastard as just when I ignited my hands, a small man stepped between the two of us. His hands up in defense.

"Whoa whoa whoa, she's not a threat, she's not with Thanos," he said, glancing over his shoulder at me. The man was covered in soot and wore no more than a tattered pair of shorts. He looked vaguely familiar but I couldn't place who he was. He was certainly not Asgardian.

"Well then," the red-cloaked man said, hitting his wrists together to form two magic shields, "If you know her so well, why don't you tell her to put away her magic, and then maybe we can talk things out about Thanos and all that."

"I'm not with Thanos you idiot," I growled, my hands glowing as I came to my feet. 

"Her name is Sigyn," the smaller man explained, "Right? It's Sigyn, right? And the little one is Hela, their Thor's family. She is...well was Loki's wife."

He turned to me and smiled, "Hey, just so you know, I'm really sorry about everything. I'm the big green guy, you know the one who tried to stop Thanos? My name's Bruce Banner. So, uh hey."

"Hi Bruce," I said softly, "Could you please tell your friend her to get out of my way so that I can see my daughter?"

The two men shuffled out of my way, finally allowing me to go to Hela.

"Hela, darling, are you alright?" I said, quickly looking over her. She seemed fine aside from a small cut on her forehead.

She nodded, completely dazed and confused. I brought my hands to her head as they glowed with gold magic, gently a pressed my finger down the cut-healing it instantly.

"How did you do that?" the man asked, watching me intently as I healed Hela of her wounds, "What magic do you bear?"

I scoffed, glancing over my shoulder at him. 

"I've been told I'm a witch of sorts," I explained, "But I prefer the term goddess, if we're being technical. And who are you?"

"Doctor Stephen Strange," he said firmly, letting down his shields, "You're Loki's wife? Do I have reason to believe that you're evil like him, too?"

I stoof up, swiftly enchanting the man. I held his arms up far above him and glared up at him as I forced him to kneel in front of me. I scoffed, looking at the sorry excuse of a man before me. Maybe Loki was right about Midgard.

"Woah, woah woah," Banner said, putting his hands up in defense, "She's not evil, she's SIgyn Iwaldottir, Godess of Fidelity. She just watched her husband die, Strange, won't you lay off?"

I stopped my enchantment, letting the doctor get up. He grunted lightly, picking himself up and dusting off his clothes.

"I'm not evil, Strange," I said, "But if you keep testing me, we may have an issue at hand."

He quirked a brow, smirking lightly.

"I thought Asgardians were supposed to be taller," he scoffed, looking me up and down as he crossed his arms.

"And I thought magicians only graced children's parties, yet here you are," I replied, kneeling down once more to look over my daughter.

"Oh so she is evil," Strange remarked, 

"Enough arguing," a third man joined, "I'm Wong, by the way."

I nodded, gently picking up Hela and holding her in my arms. Thankfully, she was completely fine other than the immense emotional trauma that would ensue in the days following.

"We have more to deal with than figuring out if Sigyn is evil or not," Wong explained.

Banner nodded, "Exactly. Thanos is coming, he's coming to get the remaining infinity stones and he already has two."

Strange continued to watch me suspiciously as he added, "So I imagine, he's going to try and get the time stone as well."

"Exactly," Wong agreed.

Banner nodded, pacing frantically. He stopped and took a sharp breath. Looking up he shakily said, "We need to get Tony, hell we need to get everybody." 

It didn't matter who they ended up getting. Thanos ran his course and successfully obliterated half of the entire universe. Hela and I were some of the lucky few duos who weren't split during the blip. In fact, I was barely affected by it at all. Upon meeting with the rest of the Asgardian refugees in Norway, I was reunited with all seven of my sisters and even my father. For some reason, I had been nearly completely spared of the heartache associated with the blip.

However, I was truly far from heartbreak-free. In the month following, I was truly haunted by the image of Loki dying and the god-awful sound of his breaking neck. I could hardly close my eyes without reliving it all once again.

Hela too was in a powerful state of grief. She wasn't angry. Somehow, she understood what it meant for her father to be gone. But, she did grow quieter by the day. The cloud of mourning had hit us like a truck.

It felt surreal. All my feelings towards Loki changed in a single instant. I had been angry at him, cross for abandoning us. But now, my heart only ached to see him again. Tell him just one more time just how much I loved him. Part of me was hoping that just like before he would pop up, telling me it was all a ruse to get back at Thor. But, I knew that wasn't going to happen. 

That link that had connected us over all these years was finally severed. I knew it the second I saw his body fell. It felt as though a part of myself had been torn apart, leaving me numb to his presence. This is how I knew Loki was truly dead, truly gone from me. 

Not a day went by that I didn't think of him. It was hard to push him out of my mind, especially at the sight of Hela. She looked so much like him and even in his absence grew in his likeness. She laughed like him, smiled like him, got angry like him, and so much more. Hela was a constant monument to my husband. Truly, more than anything she only reminded me how desperately I missed him.