Chapter Eighty-Four

As the clock for Lamentis's life span slowly began to tick down, Sylvie and I had made our way onto a train. It was a lavish vessel, neon lights buzzed at every turn and lush velvet sofas seemed to be calling my name.

The two of us sat in one of the many train cars in a small booth, secluded from the prying ears of lamentis refugees. Sylvie was sour, crossing her arms as she sat back. She watched me with a powerful glare.

"FYI, that wasn't even a plan," she sneered in a huff.

"Oh, really?" I said jokingly, rolling my eyes.

"Plans have multiple steps," she explained, "Dressing as a guard and getting on a train is just doing a thing."

She yawned, blinking away her sleepiness.

I smirked, mocking her as I asked, "Oh, you a bit tired? Feel free to, you know, get some rest."

She scoffed, "I can't sleep in a place like this."

"You can't sleep on a train?" I asked, tilting my head.

"No. I can't sleep around untrustworthy people," she spat.

I leaned forward and gasped dramatically. "Oh right," I whispered, "That's me. Anyhow, feel free to take a little nap. Sweet dreams."

"I'm not gonna waste my time rooting around for the TemPad when someone taught you fairly decent magic," she said, leaning forward on the table with a smirk upon her lips.

I eyed Sylvie, leaning back. I didn't know what she had planned but I surely didn't trust her.

"My mother taught me," I explained.

She nodded for a moment, trying to suppress her personal curiosity. Soon enough, it overcame her as she questioned, "What was she like?"

"She was, um..." I began as I thought about my mother, "A Queen of Asgard? Ya know, she was good. Purely decent."

Sylvie raised a brow, "Are you sure she was your mother?"

"Oh no, she's not actually," I explained, "I was adopted. Is that a bit of a spoiler for you? Sorry about that."

She shook her head, "No, I knew I was adopted."

I furrowed my brows as I asked, "What? They told you?"

She looked at me with a confused expression as she said, "Yeah... Did they not tell you?"

"No."

Sylvie pursed her lips and nodded slowly. Something clicked behind her eyes, something about that made something make sense for her.

"I mean, they did, eventually," I attempted, crossing my arms, "Hand on a second. So, tell me about your mother."

She shrugged, "I barely remember her. Just blips of a dream at this point."

I nodded. Sylvie's posture changed, she was relaxed slightly and less on edge as opposed to before. Clearly, her past was a sensitive subject for her and surprisingly, I felt a twinge of sympathy for her.

"You know, when I was young, she'd do these little bits of magic for me," I explained, "Like turn a flower into a frog or cast fireworks over the water. It all seemed impossible. She told me that I'd be able to do it too because... Because I could do anything."

As I said this, I thought back to the clips of my life Mobius had been so kind as to show to me. I was immediately reminded of a scene with my daughter. Hela, I believe her name was. In the scene, the little girl was sat in my lap with our hands both outstretched as fireworks danced in our palms. My heart warmed at the memory. Although I hadn't lived to experience it in person-just watching it on a screen meant so much to me. I loved that little girl, my daughter, and yet I still had not met her mother. I was so drawn to both her and Sigyn, it was the only thing keeping me going.

"You wanna see?" I offered, causing Sylvie's eyes to light up as she nodded.

I smiled, holding out my hand and letting small red, white, and blue fireworks erupt from my palm. Sylvie grinned as she watched.

"Not bad," she said, pushing down all of her melancholiness.

I laughed lightly as I continued, "She was the kinda person you'd want to believe in you."

Sylvie nodded, "Sounds like she does."

I took a deep breath, "Well...she did."

Sylvie inhaled sharply, realizing she hit a nerve. I quickly changed the topic of conversation as I asked, "So, where'd you learn to do the...ya know...enchanting?"

"A boy taught me actually," she explained, "From when I was on Asgard."

"Really? Who?" I pressed.

"Sigyn Iwaldson, he was a medic's apprentice. Sweet kid, had a crush on him before our entire timeline was obliterated," she said.

My ears pricked immediately. My eyes widened. Surely, I didn't hear that right. I shook my head and took a deep breath.

"Come again," I asked, "Who taught you enchantment?"

She eyed me as she slowly repeated, "Sigyn...Iwaldson...taught me enchantment."

I blinked in disbelief. My variant had known a Sigyn variant. It all made sense and yet it shocked me nonetheless.

Sylvie eyed me, "What's wrong with you? Why are you looking at me like that?"

"You know the woman I'm trying to get back to?" I asked.

She nodded slowly, "Yes, the girl you've never met?"

"Precisely," I said, "Her name is Sigyn, Sigyn Iwaldottir."

Sylvie's eyes widened, "No. This is surely a trick."

I shook my head, "No, no, no. Listen, one of the TVA agents showed me a complete reel of my life right? I was taken from my timeline halfway through it all but I was fully set to meet her. Meet my Sigyn, I mean. We were to be married and even have a child. I-I..."

"Sigyn was betrothed to my sister, Thor," Sylvie explained, "I found out about it when I was no more than eight. I remember being so frustrated, I thought I deserved to be betrothed to him. But, it didn't matter in the long run. My Sigyn was bound to cease to exist just days after I found out. My timeline was destroyed shortly after. But anyways, dyed my hair to look like his."

"Exactly," I said, shocked at our similarities, "Well not exactly but still. My Father wanted her to marry Thor but he had refused to admit it. But, it seems as though I married her anyways-against his will. At least, that's what it looked like according to the tape."

Sylvie scoffed, "Your family has a real issue about keeping secrets."

I rolled my eyes, "Tell me about it."

"But this...Sigyn... she's the reason you want to go back, is she?" Sylvie continued, "What's so special about her? You still have yet to meet her, who knows you might think she's annoying."

I laughed lightly. I knew what I was about to say was ridiculous and yet I said it anyways.

"I just know I have to get back to her," I said simply.

Sylvie raised a brow, "Really? Is that all you got?"

"No," I explained, "When I saw her in my reel, something clicked for me. Instantly, nothing else mattered to me. The only thing I could think of was her."

Sylvie smiled gently, "Perhaps you two are soulmates."

I shrugged, "Maybe so, but that would make me quite the lucky man. To put it frankly, I'm unsure if I really deserve her as my soulmate."

Sylvie cocked her head, "Why's that? I mean, I know you're quite an awful bloke but still."

"You don't understand," I insisted, "Sigyn is literal perfection. She's as gorgeous as they come but she's smart too. Clever and so kind. I could just tell, her aura was so warm. I just...I don't know how I could ever be so lucky to call her mine."