Chapter 90: Death Bed

Upload Schedule: as unstable as my mental health

Rain's POV

"Hannah is sick," Ember said.

"Hannah?" I repeated. "You mean the Dryad?"

Ember nodded. "She was acting strange this whole morning," he explained. "She wasn't moving and her eyes were as dull as stone. I actually thought she was dead."

"Sick is an understatement," I said.

"I wasn't sure what was wrong with her," Ember grumbled. "But Shizuku figured out pretty quickly. Some Nymph and Dryad bond I guess?"

"So... what's wrong with her?" I asked.

"Lack of nature," Ember explained. "The Overseer's been destroying parts of the Overworld. A  bunch of deforestation... Shizuku told me that their energy is tied with the current state of the Overworld."

"Shizuku seemed like she was doing fine," I mentioned.

"She's still young," he explained. "The older you get, the closer connected you become with nature."

"Well," I said. "I hope she feels better soon."

"So do I," Ember said. "Damian is... really concerned about her."

"Does he?" I asked.

Ember nodded, ignoring my slight skepticism. "Damian had some terrible luck with girls he liked. You remember Riko?"

"That wolf girl? Yeah," I answered.

"The ravager tore her chest," Ember explained. "She should've died..."

I froze. "He didn't,"

"She wasn't going to wake up," Ember sighed. "Poor Damian, he was so heartbroken."

"Make sure he doesn't go to the Nether," I told him. "Past experience, you know."

I got up and began walking out.

"Wait!" 

I turned around.

"Where are you going?" he asked.

"I'm leaving," I replied.

Ember looked crushed when I said that, and for a moment, I wasn't sure why. Then it hit me, and I guiltily remembered how our past experiences wasn't always the greatest.

He must think it's his fault.

"I'm heading off to the Nether with the Endstone Crusaders," I explained. "So, we're going to be gone for a while."

"WHAT ABOUT NOT GOING TO THE NETHER?!" He asked me.