Chapter 92: This Isn't Fair

Moon's  POV

Rain had returned, unsuccessfully.

Not only that, but Stella was back in the hospital.

She basically lives there at this point.

Also, Naeus has the End Crystals, which concerned me. 

He can easily overpower us now.

I  shook my head, I didn't want to think about that right now. I didn't want to become depressed.

Not right now at least.

I should save my depression for later.

Like when the world ends.

No, don't be depressed, Moon. I told myself. Moping won't solve anything. 

I got up and started to walk around, feeling a tad lonely.

Stella is in the hospital, Alex and Sheila is on a scouting trip.

I overheard two young men arguing.

"After you tell me not to go to the Nether, what do you do? You go to the Nether!"

"I can handle it," Rain said.

"Yeah, I can tell!" I heard my boyfriend snap.

Rain and Ember are arguing again. What else is new?

"Guys just stop-" I recognized Damian's low voice.

The other men didn't hear or just decided not to listen.

I shook my head, smiling sympathetically. 

Poor Damian, he's trying to fit in.

But he wasn't going to be easily forgiven, as Toby, who had been a criminal, had been easily accepted in.

What Damian did was far worse, a small voice reminded me. He killed your boyfriend.

But Ember had forgiven him, which said a lot.

I still wasn't comfortable around him, which the young man respected, keeping his distance away from me, but at the same time, saying hi and asking me how my day is.

Maybe one day, we can get to know each other more, but not today.

Three weeks ago, I would go to the Underworld and talk to Meeps, since we both shared an interest in many things, especially books.

In fact, Meeps was given a scholarship for the new academy that would be built in the next couple of years, something that was like a dream come true for her. 

I felt a twinge of sadness as I thought of the young artificial intelligence and her destroyed remains. It had been devastating, to see young Meeps who was a revered member of the Undead Council, brutally torn apart to no return, even for the Underworld, where death is just a small nap that you wake up from.

And Kyle, I remembered him. A former loyal general of Damian's, only to turn out to be a spy.

He had saved us, despite his dark and chilling aura that always made me uneasy whenever we were near each other.

He was Alex's best friend as well, both of them belonging to a gang. They grew up together and committed crimes together.

And then Kyle killed himself, unable to take the trauma and guilt.

His eyes were open and glassy, a bullet hole through his head, fracturing his skull...

Alex was devastated, Meeps had broken down, which led to her dying of Triton's trident.

I always wonder why those two had been in a gang, but I could tell that it was personal to them.

"You murdered my family! You burned my house down! I want to kill you! I should kill you!"

I remembered the heart wrenching anger in his voice.

Razer, who was having frequent sanity slippages, had been moments away from killing Alex.

And then, Razer... ending Kyllian's reign with his own life, redeeming himself in death.

And then Andrew, who had been a spy for Ember after he left us, planned to bomb the armory. But in the end, he sacrificed himself, saving Azura from a deadly fate.

Torn limbs, a bullet hole, a friend slipping from sanity, ready to kill a friend, an explosion as a body flies into the air.

I sighed, somehow I felt ten times worse.

This isn't fair, I thought, tears falling from my eyes. We don't deserve this! We don't deserve any of this! Why is Fate so cruel to us?! 

Who else are you going to take?