Chapter 108: But You Promised

Sheila's POV

I know I had promised her.

But... how can I let her fight?!

She's only fourteen years old, no matter how she acts, she's still immature.

She'll understand, I told myself.

I sighed, as I walked into my sister's room.

It was an average sized bedroom, with the walls painted in shades of blues, purples and greens. An unfinished mural on one of the walls.

And there she was, sitting on her bed, humming to herself.

"Hey," I said, my tone wavering for a moment. "How are you?"

"Good," Shizuku said, smiling at me.

My heart sank as I saw that smile.

She's going to hate me for this...

"Shizu? I said. "Can we talk?"

Shizuku nodded, her face widening at the tone of my voice.

"Y-yes?"

I sighed, taking my time to break the news before dropping the bomb shell.

"I'm not allowing you to fight,"

Silence.

"What?"

"I'm sorry," I told her. "But I can't afford to lose you. I want you to stay safe. So, that's why I'm forbidding you to fight in this battle."

It was a very weak excuse and I knew it. And so did Shizuku by her reaction.

"But you promised!" She yelled.

"Shizuku!" I said. "I can't afford to lose you! Okay?! I didn't have to adopt you, okay? I could've left you to die!"

I regretted the words as soon as they flew out of my mouth. Shizuku's hands curled into fists at her side, and I didn't think he'd ever forget the look she gave me.

"No, no, I didn't mean that, I'm sorry, Shizu." I quickly tried to fix the mistake, but it just wasn't working.

"You jerk!" She screamed. "I hate you! You liar! You promised me! What am I? Your property?!"

I recoiled. "Shizuku, that came out wrong-"

"YOU DON'T OWN ME!!!" Shizuku yelled.

This is the first time she's done this.

This is the first time she's ever raised her voice at me.

I really fucked up this time, didn't I?

"I'm sorry," I whispered.

But that apology fell to deaf ears.