Ch 17 Small Talk

Arthur Leywin pov

I just stared at him, dumbfounded.

What was this old bat saying?

"What? You can't be serious, right?" I managed to blurt out.

He just tilted his head in response, "Why not?"

"F-for one thing! I'm a human! Is it even allowed to have humans in this kingdom? Also, I need to make sure my family is okay and tell them I'm still alive," I refuted.

At this, the grandpa went silent as he pondered a little bit before speaking again.

"Living here isn't a problem as long as you're under my name. As for your parents... Brats, is it an absolute necessity to meet them in person?"

"what?" I said aloud

It was our turn to ponder this time.

"not necessarily? if you had a way to let our parents know were alive without finding them, that should be fine." Al replied

"I mean, I guess Al is right. Although I miss them, the most important thing is finding out how they're doing and letting them know that I'm fine if they are as well," I answered.

"Then come with me tomorrow morning; be outside the manor by six in the morning, sharp."

Before he turned to leave, I stopped him, "Wait! I don't get why you want me as your disciple. Also, you sound awfully hurried. Isn't it possible for me to go back home and spend a bit of time with my parents before coming back here to train under you?"

"I want you to be my disciple because I see both of your potentials. Kids. An uncountable number of people have asked me to take them in as their disciples, from rich to poor, from young to old. But do you know how many I've taken in so far? None! These new generation brats bore me. Just because some of the wealthy noble brat's parents thought their kid was special, they thought they were qualified to ask me to be their mentor"

I just furrowed my brows, not knowing where Tessia's grandpa is going with this.

"... You're different. I know you have exceptional talent in mana manipulation and only God knows how but you possess better technique than even I, Al is a monster of a conjurer he lacks martial skills, he does learn at an inhuman pace though. but that isn't the reason why I decided on teaching you. Brats...I need to ask you. How are you both beast tamers?" Any sort of amusement that had been on his face previously was all but gone as his sharp facial feature emitted a deathly gaze.

"beast tamer? What are you talking about?" I was really confused, Was it that weird thing that happened to Al and me that day and with his arm earlier? it was getting well into the night and the elder had already sent Tessia in to sleep, it didn't seem like this conversation was going to end soon.

"Let's go back inside and talk," he said, leading me to a living room with couches and a roaring fireplace.

Sitting down on a couch, he continued. "Let's start from the beginning. I assume you know that mana beasts possess mana cores just like humans, elves, and dwarves right?"

we nodded at this.

"Right. Just like mana beasts, humans, elves and dwarves possess qualities in their mana cores that are distinct to their own race."

He picked up a piece of paper and began explaining the basics of mana and its deviants to us.
------------------------

"Wait I'm not getting all of this. Why can't humans manipulate plants and magma?" I asked while reading his handy info chart.