Ch 123 Among the Ruins

Cecilia Pov:

Soaring through the sky I watched as clouds sped past me and the ground was pulled from below me like a rug. That old elf Commander Virion hadn't heard back from Alexander after he arrived at his hometown.

Because the other Paladins and the Lances were needed elsewhere they sent me instead, the mana felt disturbed, almost frightened. Like those Vritra and Asura's had fought each other on a massive scale here.

I saw something shoot toward me in the corner of my eye. Mana followed my instincts before I had even realized it, Thick barriers of ice formed around me forming layer after layer after layer.

a massive shockwave hit me from the back, forcing the air from my lungs as the world faded black for an instant before layers of storm magic and every base element surrounded me.

I could barely control my own body let alone breathe in, my chest felt like there was a mountain on top of me and my lungs felt ready to burst. Not having time to draw breath I grit my teeth balling my hands into fists, loose soil hardened into stone in my grasp.

Wait.. why am I on the ground?!

Wasn't I a few kilometres in the sky a second ago!?

Thousands of Questions raced through my mind as I looked through my barriers finding myself in a massive crater, shards of my ice barriers fluttering to the ground like heavy snowflakes as mana formed into a rapier of pure ice in my hands.

The hundreds of spells I sensed forming not even half a minute ago completely vanished like they never even existed, the mana fluttered around me as I lifted into the air gently as if lifted up by an angel.

The instant I took to the sky a bolt of lightning nearly killed me, the only thing saving my life being the training drilled into me for thousands of hours in my last life. I sidestepped slashing in an arc, the lightning struck my sword of ice redirecting it to the ground in a clean swipe.

Landing back on the forest floor I sensed the spells instantly disintegrate the second I touched down. Whatever or whoever is out there doesn't want me flying that's for sure.

Checking myself for wounds I only came out with a bruised back and numb arms from the lighting but the drain on my core for just blocking those 3 spells was nothing to scoff at

Mana flowed into my core purifying itself with just my absentminded will as I stood up shakily as mana flowed through my body strengthening me. I started running at a steady pace towards Ashbern, the mana moulding the world as I ran, the wind blew me faster as the earth was paved flat before me.

Stepping out of the treeline What I saw wasn't a destroyed or ravaged town, that would be making light of the situation, even looking down off the hilltop I was on what I saw could only be described as a hellscape of ash and snow atop a shattered mountain of ice and rock.

Twigs snapped behind me, instantly I snapped around brandishing a sword of pure lightning pointing it towards the source of the noise.

The sword melted into the air as I let go of it the second I saw who it was. A little boy no older than six years old. He had dishevelled dusty brown hair the same shade as the brown in my hair and eyes.

Tears welled in his eyes as he ran up to me and grabbed the hem of my uniform, tugging at it gently as tears streamed down his eyes and he cried. "Where were you, big sister?"

What? Sister? Why is this kid calling me his big sister!? They didn't say anything about me having a little brother or even living relatives! And why is a child still here? Was he one of the villagers here when they attacked?