CH 111 A Day To Be Remembered

Alexander Shard Pov:

My shoes clacked rhythmically as we walked through the streets of Xyrus, I followed the same path through the city that Claire had dragged me through on more than one occasion. Looking at the glass window of a shop we passed, I saw my reflection.

My hair was still jet black and curly but at the roots, it was turning a snow-white that under the sunlight cast a ghastly pale blue; I tied it up at the back slightly so my hair didn't cover my ears and it was the same as the hairstyle I had back in school. My eyes were still red, although they were just a tad bit darker than they were before.

I dressed in a fine black coat with red and gold accents that highlighted my eyes very well. Below it I wore a grey suit with blue patterns, a white dress shirt and a vest below my coat that wasn't buttoned up. On my vest was Boreas' crest that I had embroidered on it.

"You know, you dress up handsomely Al." Claire jabbed me in the side, she twirled around in her black and red dress, the frills on the dress fluttering with each step we took down the street, her dress was eye-catching but nothing over the top. Although I felt like it drew a bit too much attention, so I pulled out my army dress coat and draped it over her shoulders.

"Someone is jealous," Zephyr snickered, walking alongside us, hiding his horns under an illusion spell.

Rolling my eyes, I kept walking alongside Claire, who was holding my hand. The streets had changed little at all these past few years; the stores were still the same and everything was as well.

Tired of the stares of envy, awe, and fear of the couple of people who recognized me as the Frosthorn rather than a paladin, I cast Phantom's shroud on the three of us till we made it to the Bladeheart mansion.

The towering gate was the same as before, but this time when we entered, every maid and butler was waiting for us. "Welcome home, lady Claire, Mr. Shard," they spoke in unison, bowing. Zephyr transformed into his lizard form and perched on my shoulder like usual. Well, until one of the older maids pulled out a treat for him, which he chased after.

"Zeph is still a kid on the inside." Claire giggled as she smiled a bit. Zeph was as strong as his father, that's for sure. He got my disregard for life if I didn't care for them, though.

"The Master is waiting for you in his chamber." One of the older butlers spoke before gesturing for us to follow. I looked at the trophies of slain mana beasts and paintings of the previous leaders of the Bladeheart family before the butler knocked on the door.

"Enter," a refined and mature voice echoed from the other end of the mahogany door.

The butler opened the door for us and we walked into the room, A massive library with bookshelves so tall they had a ladder built into them to access the top shelf, there was a crackling fireplace on the leftmost wall which had a table and a set of leather couches on either end of the table.

I looked to see an older-looking man sitting at a large wooden desk. His eyes were ocean blue and his face bore a few scars on them. The most striking feature, however, was his short, neatly kept crimson hair.

"Dad!" Claire Cheered throwing herself at her father. He immediately tipped over in his chair after Claire tackled him to the ground in a hug.

"Sweetie, I love you too, but I was trying to act the part of how I look." He sighed, hugging his daughter back as I struggled not to burst out laughing.

"PFFT-AH-HA-HA-HA-HA!" Zephyr fell off my shoulder cackling like Regis did in the novel, I lost all restraint and burst out laughing as well as I struggled to stop myself before Claire pinched me for being rude.