117. a town of hella smart people - sg1, eu

summary
in which while on med leave sam takes up a research offer from the dod in eureka

relationships
daniel jackson x janet fraiser(hinted)

cast
amanda tapping as colonel sam carter
colin ferguson as sheriff jack carter
jordan hinson as zoe carter
michael shanks as doctor daniel jackson
richard dean anderson as major general jack o'neill

fandoms
stargate sg-1
eureka

Jack Carter is the Sherriff of Eureka, having transfered from his job as a US Marshall who split his time between Colorado where he was stationed with his sister who was working in a top secret Military Base under Cheyenne Mountain and Los Angeles, where his ex-Wife and daughter lived. He had been reluctant to take the job, not wanting to get separated from his sister or his kid but she convinced him to do it with the promise that she could finally fill him in on what she does in the Air Force he agreed and before he knew it Jack Carter is the Sheriff of a small town that is more than a little strange. Of course, when he was read into the Stargate programme three days into his job in Eureka on the request of his sister Sam, he doesn't think anything can be stranger.

It was around 2 years after Jack moved to Eureka that Sam called him saying she had leave coming up and wanted to visit her brother and niece. Jack could tell she was feeling off, an odd tone in her voice but with the close calls she'd had in the last few years, he agreed. He met her at the airport, surprise lighting up in his eyes to see her right arm in a sling and that she was walking a bit slower than normally. But, Jack waited until they were in the car before questioning her.

"What happened?"

"Uh, an ambush." Sam uttered lowly, and clearly this was a fresh hurt. "We lost 2 marines, i got shot with an energy weapon. God Jack, it was such a close call."

"I'm glad you made it out alive." Jack said earnestly, grinning at his sister who managed a weak smile in return.

"Me too."

Sam spent the first day in Eureka hiding in the Carter resident, since it was the weekend, and she wasn't due in at GD till Monday, and she had offered her brain to Zoe. It was interesting to see that most of Eureka thought Jack Carter to be a man with below average intelligence when in actuality he has a mathematics degree from MIT. She had reluctantly agreed to get lunch with Jack and Zoe on the Sunday, and she'd pulled on her usual blue BDU's because she'd been so rushed to get out of Colorado she forgot to grab civvies before she left the mountain, only grabbing her go bag that held 2 spare sets of BDU's - camo and blue - and some MRE's, basic gate kit. Sam was impressed by Vincent, though she was less so by his penchant to gossip. Sitting at a table in Café Diem, Sam could feel everyone staring at her, some curious and some in awe.

"Can't people stop staring in this town?" Sam asked, in what she thought was a low tone only to see everyone suddenly return to their usual day and flushed.

"Don't worry. They'll be over it by tomorrow." Jack assured his sister. "So how long have you got leave?"

"The Doc insisted on a month of med leave." Sam shrugged - then winced at the tug on her shoulder. Jack had almost thrown up at the massive burn that covered most of the skin on her shoulder, but had helped wrap it back up. "But it depends on whether i pass the psych eval for when i am put back on active duty."

"And you decided to spend it here?" Zoe asked, a raised eyebrow. She knew about the SGC, knew about the work Sam did there since one of the classes offered at Tesla high was about wormhole physics and everyone who lived in Eureka was buried under non-disclosure agreements about anything they see or hear about not permitted to their degree's or work if they leave the town.

"There was a fire fight." Sam reluctantly began to explain, knowing they deserved one. "A fight between Ba'al's forces and the free jaffa. Janet and I, who was doing her job as a field medic, got shot. I survived, she didn't." Sam cast her eyes down to the plate of amazing eggs, suddenly not hungry.

"God Sam." Jack shook his head. "First Dad and now Janet."

"She was my best friend, you know?" Sam said quietly. "Colonel O'Neill's bringing Cassie when she finishes high school next week. We wanted her to finish school, so O'Neill offered to take her until school finishes then drive her out here."

"How's Daniel handling it?" Zoe asked curiously. She and Jack had met Daniel a year previously, when the two of them had taken a trip up to Colorado to spend Christmas with everyone.

"Not as well as he's letting on." Sam admitted. "He's putting on a brave face, but he was with her when she died, so he's blaming himself."

"But it wasn't his fault." Jack said.

"Daniel is well known for taking blame for things that aren't his fault." Sam grumbled, stabbing at her eggs. "I think Colonel O'Neill's going to take him off active duty. He'd been acting off during the week before i was allowed to leave the base."

"Invite him out here." Jack said suddenly, and Sam snapped her head up to look at her brother. "Hell, invite the whole team. The bunkers big enough for all of you, and besides, from what you've told me it sounds like you all need a break."

"I might do that." Sam nodded. "Thanks Jack."

"Any time little sis." Sam scowled at her brother, but the two siblings and niece erupted into laughter, and Sam knew she'd be okay eventually. She just needed her brother to keep her sane.

authors note
i wanted to write more but knew if i did this would never end