81. actions have consequences

summary
after a devastating betrayal of finding out emily had never been dead, spencer finds himself on the doorstep of the only man who hadn't smashed his trust into dust

relationships
jack o'neill x samantha carter
spencer reid x evan lorne

cast
richard dean anderson as lt general jonathan jack o'neill
amanda tapping as colonel samantha carter
kavan smith as major evan lorne
joe flanigan as lt colonel john sheppard
david hewlett as doctor rodney mckay
matthew gray gubler as doctor spencer reid

fandoms
criminal minds
stargate franchise

(the timelines are totally out of whack so just go with it pls)

After the hearing, after Hotch informed them they were all in the clear, Hotch came up to Spencer. The younger man was the only one who hadn't requested a reassignment to the BAU.

"Reid. Will you be rejoining the team now that we will be back to full capacity?" Hotch asked.

"I'm sorry Hotch." Spencer said quietly, shaking his head. "But i can't. Not now. Maybe not ever."

"I understand." Hotch said in that very understanding tone of his. "And i'd also understand if you wished to hand in your resignation and take one of the many other jobs that you get offered every month. Nobody will blame you."

"Thank you Hotch." Spencer left, and Hotch watched him leave feeling like this would be the last time he worked with the team.

Spencer held his belongings in the cardboard box, long after everyone except Hotch had gone home. After printing off his resignation and emailing a copy to Strauss, he headed up to Hotch's office. Entering quietly, Hotch stood up and rounded his desk. Setting down the box, Spencer placed the envelope on Hotch's desk along side his badge before shaking his hand firmly.

"As your boss i'll say It's been an honour to work with you, Doctor Reid." Hotch said formally. "And as your friend, i will say that i'll miss you, but i will support you if this is what you need."

"It is." Spencer nodded. "I, i just don't think i can do this anymore."

"Perfectly understandable." Hotch nodded. "Please don't loose touch. I'm sure Jack couldn't live without your tutelage and Henry's gonna need your guidance."

"I'll come by when i can. And promise me, if you need anything, you'll call me."

"I promise, Spencer." Aaron promised, and Spencer smiled. With his head held high he headed out of the Hoover Building, a heavy feeling on his chest lifting.

The next morning before the briefing, Hotch entered the round table room just in time to hear Emily question the whereabouts of Spencer.

"I'm afraid i have some news." Hotch informed them before he asked Garcia to fill them in on the case. "Last night, Spencer handed in his resignation."