62. cedric diggory

summary
in which cedric diggory doesn't die

relationships
magnus bane x alec lightwood (blink and you'll miss it)

cast
cedric diggory
alec lightwood
harry potter
ginny weasley
hermione granger

fandoms

harry potter

shadowhunters

Once the war was all done and over with, the effects of everything that Cedric Diggory had thrown at him finally set in. He came face to face with Lord Voldemort twice, the first time when he by some miracle still to this day he and medical professionals are unable to explain, survived the killing curse and the second time when he stood tall beside Harry Potter in front of the Dark Lord, allowing himself to be in the presence of the man who had caused him so much agony since that night.

After the war Cedric, whom was now twenty-one years old, packed up his belongings and left his childhood home without so much as a note or a letter for his recently widowed father as his mother had died defending Hogwarts during the final battle. Overcome with grief, with nightmares and with all the horrors he faced, the hufflepuff boy found himself completely alone and felt he was without hope in the dark world. But, shortly after he moved out of his home, his owl had brought him a letter from a Dragon Sanctuary in Romania offering him a job as a dragon handler.

So, Cedric accepted the job at the sanctuary, whom had heard he'd been one of the two to not harm the dragon's during the tournament and that they were extremely grateful as two of the dragon's were extremely injured during the first task. He moved into a small bungalow on the edge of the sanctuary with his belongings and immediately began working in the sanctuary. But, even as Cedric attempted to work through his problems, to move past them and get on with his life, he wasn't able to sleep without seeing the people he loved die over and over again.

Waking up in a cold sweat, Cedric Diggory panted and coughed harshly with each trembling breath, feeling as though he could not breath. He sat up, running his hair through the ringlets that were damp against his forehead and took a ragged breath, pressing the balls of his hands to his eyes and trying to stop the terrified tears from escaping. After taking time to collect himself Cedric pulled himself from his bed and took a shower, dressing in his work clothes - black trousers that had armour on them, a plain black top and an optional jacket which was grey, his favourite jacket. Each worker was supplied with armoured clothing to protect from the dragons if they ever lashed out, but Cedric only ever wore the trousers since they rest of it was too heavy. Picking up his wand and shoving it into his coat, he made his way into the kitchen of his small one bedroom home and picked up the bookbag that rested on the counter, shoving an apple into his bag for later since he'd lost his appetite, throwing it over his shoulder and making his way out of his home after lacing up his boots.

Cedric walked calmly across the fields in which he knew the younger dragon's hung around to avoid the elders. He didn't speak, nor did he acknowledge the light thudding that was approaching him from behind until he felt the hot smoke from the all too familiar dragon on his neck. Cedric span around, eyes widening when he was almost nose to nose with the dragon who had taken a liking to the hufflepuff boy.

"Christ, Estrella." Cedric snapped, stumbling back from the dragon who merely puffed in frustration. "Yeah yeah i know." Cedric dropped the massive bucket he'd been carrying beside his feet and picked up a large bloody carcus, chucking it as hard as he could into the air. Estrella leapt into action, snapping her enormous jaw around the carcus and eating it whole, much to Cedric's disgust. "You really are a foul dragon aren't you?"

The rest of his day was spent sitting on a nearby hill with his journal in hand, taking notes of Estrella and other dragons nearby while also writing a letter to his dad.

"Hey brown eyes." Cedric rolled his eyes, not bothering to look up at the black haired boy whom had decided to make an appearance that day.

"Look who decided to show up." Cedric remarked teasingly, tapping his finger against the page before capping his muggle pen and closing the journal, finally looking over at the raven haired man with painstakingly bright blue eyes.

"You know, just because you don't see me doesn't mean i'm slacking off." Alexander Lightwood was a pure-blooded american wizard. He attended a muggle school up until the age of eleven in which he then attended Ilvermony. He was sorted into the Wampus house, the house which mostly favoured warriors. The Lightwood boy had come to the sanctuary to escape his extremely judgemental parents and overbearing cousins. In fact the only people Alec was still in contact with was his baby sister and adoptive brother, whom relied on him and his long time boyfriend Magnus. Alec worked as a field healer on the sanctuary, always on sight in case of any injuries.

"Sure." Cedric hummed sarcastically, merely to mess with his friend. Cedric climbed to his feet, pulling out his wand when he noticed Estrella getting a little too hostile with another dragon.

"Hey!" He snapped, stepping into Estrella's line of sight with a glare. The other dragon kept it's distance, obviously not wanting to get into a fight, an unusual thing for a dragon. Estrella flicked her tail at Cedric, hitting his legs in hopes he would get the hint and back off, but he got the exact opposite notion. Alec burst into laughter when Cedric smacked the 10 foot tall and still growing dragon on the nose, stunning her for a moment. "Watch it, or i'll put your scaly arse on the ground." He put away his wand, not loosing eye contact with his dragon. The raven haired wizard laughed even harder when Estrella was the first to lower her head, backing away from her handler and slinking away but not before whipping him across the lower back with her tail in retaliation.

"Did you seriously just scold a dragon, one that's 4 feet taller than you and, oh yeah, breathes fire?" Alec asked once he'd stopped laughing, grinning at his friend who nodded.

"Yes, yes i did." Cedric replied before grimacing and bringing his hand away from his lower back covered in blood. "Stupid dragon."

"Again?" Alec asked in disbelief, pulling out his wand and getting to work on healing the thin cut across his back. Cedric merely grinned at his friend, who pulled his wand away from Cedric's skin and shoved it back into his pocket.

"You know the drill Diggory." Alec stayed another 10 minutes before continuing his rounds, letting Cedric get back to his job.

When Cedric got back to his home that evening, his owl whom was named Ares - after the muggle god of War - was waiting on the counter top with a letter in her beak. Cedric stroked her feathers as he took the letter, placing a small bowl of owl food beside her.

Opening the letter, Cedric was surprised to find that it was a wedding invitation from Harry Potter. Cedric hadn't spoken to anyone from Hogwarts in years, finding the memories to painful to forget. After quickly RSVPing telling then he'd be honoured to come, Cedric moved into his room and collapsed into bed, falling into a slumber filled with nightmares.

authors note
fam i ran out of space in this fic to create more drafts i cry. also tell meh whatcha think?? endings a bit abrupt but i might be inclined to write a part 2