129. proud of you - sh

summary
alec wasn't the only one to surprise everyone at his wedding

relationships
magnus bane x alec lightwood

cast
matthew daddario as alec lightwood
harry shum jr as magnus bane
nicola correia-damude as maryse lightwood

fandom
shadowhunters

"I am so proud of you." Alec froze, because hearing those words come from his mother wasn't something he thought he'd ever hear. Alec spun around, eyes on Maryse as she stood a few feet off, hands clasped in front of her. There were clave representatives milling around, but the room had gone silent and Alec was filled with disbelief. Even Magnus, Isabelle and Jace seemed frozen, and Clary and Simon seemed apprehensive.

"What?" Alec stuttered, the ball of anxiety in his gut tightening and loosening making it hard to breathe for a minute. "You are?"

"Of course i am." Maryse nodded. "I may not have acted like the best mother the last few weeks. I know i was cold to Isabelle, i know i put too much pressure on you and not enough on Jace when it came to doing the right thing. But most of all i am sorry you felt you had to hide this part of yourself for 12 years." Alec had no idea how to respond, had no idea how to even process the idea that his mother could ever actually be proud of something he'd done.

"Do you really mean that?" Is what Alec asked eventually, and Maryse reached forward and grabbed both of his hands tight.

"I have never meant anything more." Maryse said sincerely, and Alec let out a breath he didn't know he was holding in and let his mother pull him into a hug.

"Thank you."

"You're welcome."

authors note

this is small but i like it so tough