103. protective devil - lucifer

summary
in which while lucifer is driving trixie home from school they get into a car accident. turns out trixie makes lucifer vulnerable too

relationships
pre-lucifer morningstar x chloe decker

cast
tom ellis as lucifer morningstar
lauren german as chloe decker
scarlett estevez as trixie decker-espinoza
kevin alejandro as dan espinoza

fandom
lucifer

"Trixie!" Detectives Chloe Decker and Dan Espinoza rush into the Emergency Room, spotting their daughter sitting on a bed in the ED, bandages covering a cut on her forearm. She had scrapes on her cheek from the broken glass, bruising on her collarbone from the seatbelt visible above the collar of her shirt, but was otherwise unharmed. Tears were running down her cheeks, and one of the nurses was keeping her company.

"Mommy! Daddy!" Both parents stood in front of Trixie, gripping her hands tightly. She looked relieved to see them, her breathing unsteady.

"What happened baby?" Chloe asked her daughter, who sobbed a little.

"It came out of nowhere!" She cried between sobs, alarming the parents. They'd never seen Trixie so terrified. "They- they hit the drivers side- and- and Lucifer was knocked out!" This surprised the parents too, because Lucifer had told them the truth and given them solid proof. He shouldn't be vulnerable unless Chloe was with him and she'd been on the other side of the city when the accident occurred. "I was so scared daddy."

"I know baby. Where's Lucifer?" Dan asked Trixie.

"He's in surgery." Trixie broke into further tears, alarming them. "He protected me from the worst of the crash. Like this." Trixie put her forearm out, which meant Lucifer had held their daughter against the seat to keep her from being hurt badly. "He wouldn't wake up! Why wouldn't he wake up?"

"Come here baby." Chloe gathered her daughter into her arms, stroking the back of her head where her face was hiding in her shoulder. Dan stood up, patting his ex-wife's shoulder.

"I'll see if they can tell us anything."

Somehow, Lucifer found himself waking up to an infernal beeping to his left, the bed beneath him unbearably uncomfortable and the clothes on him stupidly itchy. His head ached, something tugging against the skin, and his stomach and leg hurt like nothing he'd experienced before. He groaned lowly, and to his right someone rustled, and a hand landed on his arm.

"Lucifer?" He turned his head and came eye to eye with the Detective. She was staring at him with something akin to worry, and he smiled barely.

"What happened?" Lucifer asked, feeling spaced out.

"You were in a car accident." Chloe informed him, and it all came rushing back. The van slamming into them, hitting his head, and then blinding pain in his abdomen and legs – they'd been stuck under the dashboard. He jerked up, and then grunted as pain flashed through his stomach. "Ho! Do not move, idiot! You'll rip your stitches!"

"Beatrice, is she alright? Where is she?" Lucifer asked desperately.

"Lucifer, relax, she's alright." Chloe soothed, and something in him relaxed at hearing that. "She's got a few scrapes and bruises, but she's fine. Dan took her home to change and have a shower, they'll be back soon."

"Good, good." Something tugged at Lucifer, making his brain feel like it was stuffed with cotton.

"Rest, Lucifer." Chloe urged him. With no way to protest, Lucifer drifted off with the aid of the drugs he was on and the assurance that the little urchin was alright.

The next time he woke up he was in considerably less pain, and there were far less drugs in his system. What did startle him was the small body curled up on his left side, head on his shoulder and sleeping soundly. When he lifted his head, throat tolerably dry, he recognised the small body as Trixie, and the tension he didn't know he was holding dissipated. He curled an arm over her back and breathed a sigh of relief. He looked up at Chloe, who was smiling softly. Dan was passed out on the sofa at the side of the room, jacket over him in a poor attempt at a blanket.

"You feeling better?" Chloe asked Lucifer.

"Much, thank you Detective." Lucifer nodded.

"The doctor said that you could leave tomorrow morning so long as there's no complications from the surgery." Chloe informed the Devil, who seemed pleased. "Lucifer, I wanted to thank you."

"Whatever for, Detective?"

"For protecting my daughter." Chloe couldn't explain how grateful she was for him. "Trixie told me what you did for her."

"Yes, well..." Lucifer looked down at Trixie. "I have found myself growing attached to the young offspring, it seems. I guess she makes me vulnerable too, Detective." He ran his hand over her back several times, and for some reason found himself smiling fondly. Chloe watched the interaction with a fond smile and left to find the doctor.

authors note
just a cute little lucifer and trixie fic set during season 1