88. part noble, part dragonlord

summary
as the son of gorloius' sister and balinor the dragonlord, merlin is sort of related to the lady morgana, and he's also sort of the oldest gorlois child known alive

relationships
n/a

cast
colin morgan as merlin
bradley james as arthur
katie mcgrath as morgana
angel coulby as gwen
uther
gaius

fandom
merlin

Standing in the council chambers of Camelot, Merlin could only reflect on the days that had passed since he entered Camelot, and the utter surprise he had gotten upon his first meeting with the King.

"Do my eyes deceive me?" Uther had uttered in disbelief as he laid eyes on the young boy, who had delivered a pain draught for Uther that aided his old hunting injury.

"Is everything alright, sire?" Merlin had asked, confused.

"I apologise. But you look so much like your mother." Uther then explained, much to Merlin's surprise. See, he'd never known his true mother, as she had died in childbirth and trusted his upbringing to Hunith, her best friend.

"You knew my mother?" Merlin asked.

"I did." Uther nodded. "I also knew your Uncle and Father."

"Really?" Merlin was in shock, that much was clear to the King. "What- what were they like?"

"Were?" Dread pooled in Uther's gut.

"My mother died during childbirth." Merlin said sadly. "She entrusted my upbringing to my godmother Hunith, Gaius' youngest sister. My father hasn't been seen nor heard from since that day."

"I'm sorry to hear that." Uther honestly was. While he was a man who hated sorcery and everything that came with it, the suffering of his childhood best friend and wife was not something he was happy about. Even if they did practice magic. "Your mother grew up in the castle along side myself, Gaius, Hunith, my late wife and Gorlois. We were thick as theives, as my father said. The day i was crowned King, Gorlois was dubbed Captain of my Kingsguard, Balinor was given a place on my council, Gaius was Court Sorcerer and Hunith was Court Physician."

"And my mother?" Merlin asked, hoping he didn't sound too eager. Merlin already knew Gaius practiced magic.

"She was my first advisor." Uther smiled a rather rare smile. "She and my wife were never far from the thick of it."

"What- what was her name?" Merlin had never known his parent's names, and Uther had told him his father's name - Balinor - but not his mothers.

"Her name was Eleanor."

The next time Merlin had seen Uther was during the feast to welcome Lady Helen and celebrate 20 years since the Great Purge - not that Merlin believed it was something worth celebrating, but he wasn't going to say that out loud. He was standing behind the royal table along side the Lady Morgana's maid Gwen, whom he'd met his first day and become close with. They were waiting for Lady Morgana to arrive, along with the Prince whom Merlin thought was a total prat.

"So how has your first week in Camelot been?" Gwen asked her new friend.

"It has been... enlightening." Merlin admitted. "I found out about my parent's, actually."

"That's incredible." Gwen said with a bright grin.

"I know." Merlin nodded, sounding dazed. "My mother was Eleanor."