136. later start - cm, ncis

summary
spencer served before he joined the bau

romantic relationships
none

platonic relationships

cast
matthew gray gubler as doctor spencer reid
paget brewster as special agent emily prentiss
joe mantegna as special agent david rossi
shemar moore as special agent derek morgan
kristen vangness as technical analyst penelope garcia
thomas gibson as special agent in charge aaron hotchner
aj cook as special agent jj jareau
mark harmon as special agent in charge leroy jethro gibbs
michael weatherly as senior special agent anthony dinozzo

fandoms
ncis
criminal minds

Spencer Reid was twenty-six when he was recruited by Aaron Hotchner for the FBI's Behavioural Analysist Unit. He was fresh out the Marines, had his gold leaf and a few scars both mentally and physically and had just finished up his FLETC training when Supervisory Special Agent Aaron Hotchner, the team lead of the BAU had requested he come to the BAU offices for an interview to fill their recently available spot. So, the Monday after training finished Spencer reported to Agent Hotchner's office, feeling ridiculously uncomfortable dressed in civilian clothes, black slacks, a dark blue shirt with the top button undone and a blue tie, a black waistcoat lined with a purple silk and black dress shoes shined perfectly. He had a simple bag over one shoulder, his credentials into his inside waistcoat pocket, his service records in his bag, and his hair was starting to grow out a little and he had an itch to get it cut again. It was just before 0800 hours, and he was having trouble getting out of the routine he'd been in for the last decade or so. He walked up the stairs and knocked on the door to the office that had Agent Hotchner's name on it, entering upon request.

"Ah, Doctor Reid. Please take a seat." Spencer sat in one of the two seats in front of Agent Hotchner's desk, his posture stiff, yet if he noticed how uncomfortable Spencer looked, he didn't mention it, which he was grateful for. "I was impressed by the four recommendations I received regarding your application to join my team. Your commanding officer, an NCIS Special Agent-In-Charge, the Director and Former Agent Gideon."

"Yes sir." Spencer nodded. "I did a consultancy with NCIS when I was getting my second Doctorate at seventeen. Agent Gibbs was very impressed with my knowledge and skill and took me on as a civilian consultant for six months to help train his probationary agent in profiling. I was Special Ops with the Marine's sir, infiltration and weapons specifically. I ranked top of my classes every time, and most of what I did was highly classified. Agent Gideon approached me when I was twenty, just after I had completed my third Doctorate at CalTech and offered me a place on your team but I declined."

"Because you were still in service, correct?"

"Yes, sir."

"Please, call me Hotch." Aaron offered, smiling kindly.

"Of course s- Hotch." Spencer nodded stiffly. "I am still getting used to Civilian life. I didn't really leave the base during my leaves apart from to visit my mother in Nevada."

"Perfectly understandable." Hotch nodded. "Come on, we have a case and i'll introduce you to the team."

Spencer followed Hotch into the conference room, where the rest of the BAU team were sitting waiting for Hotch.

"Before we start i'd like to introduce Supervisory Special Agent Doctor Spencer Reid." Hotch introduced. "Doctor Reid has three PhD's in Engineering, Mathematics and Chemistry and two BA's in psychology and Sociology and specialises in geographic profiling and handwriting analysis within profiling."